Forums

Help › Forums

Odyssey Sabertooth Putter (L98+)

Sat, Oct 27 2018 4:26 AM (22 replies)
  • PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 2:08 PM

For the last few months (my only few months in fact) I've been using the Versa L70 and after seeing CT's improvement in his putting with his Chinese clone of the Sabretooth L59 and at the same time feeling disenchanted (you're not allowed to say pissed off in here are you) with my putting at the time, I thought I'd give it a lash. Let's just say I wouldn't change back. Not this week anyway.

I'd say try the cheapo version first Bubbs and if you do rate it as I do, it'll give you time to re-mortgage the house before getting the big boy.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 2:11 PM

Bubbs,

Not at level yet for the l98 Sabertooth, but I've played several TLs and Champions using it and they all like it. The last I played said he hated it at first, but now loves it.

Pretty normal when changing putters. I finally retired my beloved l70 Versa and got the l96. You would think that would be an easy transition. It wasn't. Mostly, I was leaving putts short. The ball would put the brakes on where with the l70 it kept rolling. But as I spend more time with it I'm getting better with it. And it does hold the line beautifully, even better than the l70.

Short slopers are the killer for me...but then that's been true with every putter I've ever used, here and in real life.

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 3:21 PM

Thanks folks. Just looked at that cheaper sabretooth and impressive stats other than balance down on the level 70 versa.

But who needs balance

Dont say a tightrope  walker ;-)

• WillyBigg
    2,135 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 3:45 PM

Hi Bubbs, I had been a Nike user for years & although all of the Nikes had been fine, I recently  became aware I was not getting any better at putting. Mkg had been using the new Sabortooth & recommended I give it a try. I've have the Sabertooth M2 for a few weeks & must say it's the best putter I've ever used. To me, it is well worth the credits.

ATB,

Willy

• snoops34
    2,694 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 3:54 PM

Hey Willy,

I had the exact same experience. So much so that I've forgotten all about putting issues and can't blame the putter now ever. I win mostly on putting. My stats are not as good as others at my level for drives, fairways and greens in regulation, but better in putting stats for the most part.

My two cents

Snoops

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 5:52 PM

bubbsboy:

Thanks folks. Just looked at that cheaper sabretooth and impressive stats other than balance down on the level 70 versa.

But who needs balance

Dont say a tightrope  walker ;-)

You do believe me on that one bubbs . Balance is what helps the putt hold its line so you have 2 options either the 96+versa or the 98+ sabertooth . Ive had both the L70+& 96+ versa putters and as you upgrade each club gets a little better .

Now you can skip the L96+ and go right to the 98+ Sabertooth and the worst thing that is going to happen is that you will never need another putter once you learn it . Its the balance that makes it such a good putter and you can putt both ways with it which is what you will need as you move on up the tiers .

From Legend - Champion I have found that the breaks on the green become more pronounced so that you will have to not only move the marker when putting but also do it and still miss the ding when putting . This is why balance is so important because on those putts you want that ball to hold its line .

I bought it when it first hit the pro shop and it took me a moment to get used to it but now I love it . When I miss its because of a misread and nothing more and I truly feel that its the best putter in the game now and Ive had the top nike M1 putter too and its better than that one too .

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Jan 25 2017 12:47 AM

Great views fellas and thanks for your time.

Moving ever so slowly toward TL so will prob change. Played quite a lot on champ in our club anyway and actually prefer it but no doubt I will  need all help I can get.

I will see. once again thanks.

• bluey403
    1,526 Posts
    Wed, Jan 25 2017 12:58 AM

Now dont be in too much of a hurry bubbs, good things come to those who wait.

Or so I have been told, waitin waitin waitin.

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Wed, Jan 25 2017 2:47 AM

Lol. You know how our club works Pete.

Been a natural progression from the tips :-)

• jayzach
    380 Posts
    Fri, Oct 26 2018 9:01 AM

I went back to my Nike Method after a month of trying to figure out that unpredictable piece of crap!  way over priced and less accurate

RSS