Forums

Help › Forums

Odyssey Sabertooth Putter (L98+)

Sat, Oct 27 2018 4:26 AM (22 replies)
  • NKinsella
    316 Posts
    Mon, Dec 5 2016 4:59 PM

Hi 

Hi for people that have purchased and are using this putter is it in your opinion better than the Nike L96 what our your impressions of it so far. I dont like the look of the 15/30 meter but stats look impressive.

thanks

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Mon, Dec 5 2016 6:29 PM

There were players commenting on it in a different thread...from what I remember, the reviews were positive...except for the price.

Aside from the specs...balance, meter speed, etc., I don't think you can fully compare it to a Nike for the reasons you mentioned. Completely different increments. 

ct

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, Dec 5 2016 8:29 PM

I think he is talking about the M-1/M2 Nike which was lvl 101 and comes in both increments....

I was told it is as good or better, but I think the lvl 96 Versa is too...

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2016 10:33 AM

NKinsella:

Hi 

Hi for people that have purchased and are using this putter is it in your opinion better than the Nike L96 what our your impressions of it so far. I dont like the look of the 15/30 meter but stats look impressive.

thanks

I bought it but its still too early to tell still getting used to it . But so far to me yes its better than the current L 96+ Nike putter . I bought the nike back when it was at L101 to replace my 96+ versa putter and then sold it back after a month of playing with it . I had held on to my versa just in case and was glad that I had .

Since it has only been a week it will still take time to learn how it truly putts . But so far it seems to be holding its own . It putts very smooth and holds its line on long putts very well .  Shorter putts though it seems to stall some but that could be due to my misreading the greens or not playing the breaks properly .

I`ll come back and update this maybe by the end of next week by then I will have a better opinion and can be more helpful to others who may want to go all in on this one . At 4,995 credits thats too much money to spend so you may want to earn the credits instead . I had them to spare so for me it was no problem .

• snoops34
    2,694 Posts
    Tue, Dec 20 2016 5:56 PM

Thanks for yo

lonniescott711:

NKinsella:

Hi 

thanks

I bought it but its still too early to tell still getting used to it . But so far to me yes its better than the current L 96+ Nike putter . I bought the nike back when it was at L101 to replace my 96+ versa putter and then sold it back after a month of playing with it . I had held on to my versa just in case and was glad that I had .

Since it has only been a week it will still take time to learn how it truly putts . But so far it seems to be holding its own . It putts very smooth and holds its line on long putts very well .  Shorter putts though it seems to stall some but that could be due to my misreading the greens or not playing the breaks properly .

I`ll come back and update this maybe by the end of next week by then I will have a better opinion and can be more helpful to others who may want to go all in on this one . At 4,995 credits thats too much money to spend so you may want to earn the credits instead . I had them to spare so for me it was no problem .

Thanks for your review.  I rented the 15/30 increments and could not get use to the increments but that is my only complaint. It was, indeed, very smooth and a great feel. I think the precision and balance cancel each other out with the Nike a bit, but will know more when I try the new increments as the old 15/30 increments threw me off my rhythm with the added calculations. I can do the 10/20 mostly in my head. 

But, I would say 4.5 forgiveness might make a real difference when combined with a 5.0 meter unless you are using the max ball, which I can no longer play after using the high level Nike series balls. Then, the only thing to blame is the golfer. If I do buy it for myself as a Christmas present, I will present a review of my findings as well since I have the Top Nike putter in my bag already.

• chaos1970
    317 Posts
    Sun, Jan 1 2017 5:52 AM

Good morning,

I am not sure if you've tried this putter yet but compared to the Nike its hands down The Sabertooth...in my opinion.

Like you I wasn't sure I was going to like the 15/30/60 increments but after I mapped out how far each line was going to go (something I always do) I found that this putter was spot on. Holds the line much better and speed control is awesome. 

As a bonus, I had read when I first started to always use as short of a stroke as you can for the meter but could never feel comfortable doing that. Until this putter that is. I have found, for me personally, that the distance's I want I can get by rarely going past the 30-35% point on my meter. Again makes hitting the ding much easier and speed control is awesome.

Just my two cents worth....

• snoops34
    2,694 Posts
    Sun, Jan 1 2017 8:02 AM

chaos1970:

Good morning,

I am not sure if you've tried this putter yet but compared to the Nike its hands down The Sabertooth...in my opinion.

Like you I wasn't sure I was going to like the 15/30/60 increments but after I mapped out how far each line was going to go (something I always do) I found that this putter was spot on. Holds the line much better and speed control is awesome. 

As a bonus, I had read when I first started to always use as short of a stroke as you can for the meter but could never feel comfortable doing that. Until this putter that is. I have found, for me personally, that the distance's I want I can get by rarely going past the 30-35% point on my meter. Again makes hitting the ding much easier and speed control is awesome.

Just my two cents worth....

Agree that for my game at least it is the best putter after a few weeks of use. I bought the M2 when it came out and the increments can mostly be done in my head. A bonus. Using the shortest stroke does make it easier to hit the ding since most errors are committed during the long meter travel to the ping. The shorter the better I just recently learned by accident after watching a video of one of the top players and noticing that he used the shortest stroke possible. Forgiveness and meter speed also make for nearly stress free putting. LOL

Your two cents are worth at least 2 strokes a round and that is a lot. Thanks,

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Jan 3 2017 5:37 AM

I have tried and owned many putters.  Desperately trying to find a magic wand to offset my inability to read the greens...lol

I had the level 70 versa for a loooong time. I was average with it. I now use the level 59 sabertooth. It is also a very good putter and much cheaper than the versa. 

The top Sabertooths are simply too expensive given the abysmal exchange rate. If anyone is in a similar position to me...I do recommend the level 59 sabertooth.

ct

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Tue, Jan 3 2017 1:41 PM

To me the best bang for the buck is the Level 55 TaylorMade Daytona Rossa putter. Best 725 credits any player who reaches Level 55 could possibly spend on this site.

Now, I used that putter until WGT knocked back the Level 101 Nike Method M2 by 5 Levels and made it available to me at Level 96.  It took me a bit of time to get used to the 10/20 distances as I was so used to the 15/30 distances the Rossa had.  I knew the percentages of the Rossa so well and I was missing short putts with the Nike by just going to 25% power and clicking without thinking.  Once the Nike became rote to me I'd never go back to a 15/30 distance putter ever.  It's so much easier to calc in my head using 10s.

Now, when I hit Level 98 I do see myself upgrading to the Sabertooth M2.  Seems like there is some value there due to the 5.0 speed.

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Tue, Jan 24 2017 1:19 PM

Be interested to read any more reviews on here folks.

My versa (level 70) is a fantastic putter for the price (but not in my hands lol) and has same balance  and speed but much much less on precision and forgiveness.

Versa; 4, 3.5, 4.5, 5

Tooth; 5.4, 4.5, 4.5, 5 

5000 creds seems a lot to me, with trade in then still around 4,500 creds.

Long putts im quite good, but short or mid distance side slopers.........well, i will just say im not .-)

Not sure if that putter can make any difference really ?

Thanks in advance

RSS