Forums

Help › Forums

The "dark" side of Mr. Woods

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 25 2009 12:41 PM (6 replies)
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 24 2009 3:16 PM

Something occured to me the other day.... something someone said during the PGA Championship that has been in the back of mind festering and coming to a boil...  and after watching the (lovely) ladies during the Solhiem Cup, I finally had to do some checking and it finally came to the forefront.

Does Tiger need to cheat to win?  Now now.. before all of the dyed-in-the-wool TW backers break out the pitchforks, torches and ropes and come to hang me from the nearest crossbeam, I would as that you just sit and have a think for a moment...  Maybe this can be discussed rationally, but I doubt it.  I expect by the 3rd reply this discussion will have devolved into a 3rd grade shouting match..

"Did not!",  "Did too!",  "Did Not!",  "Did Too!",  "DID NOT!!",  "DID TOO INFINITY!!!!"

Someone (Fleherty perhaps) happened to notice and opine how Eldrick just 'happens' to be standing in his opponent's peripheral vision on Sundays, with his trademark blood red shirt and black pants, during the opponent's putts.  Particularly during close matches.  It seemed like a ridiculous statement at the time;  I mean after all, we're talking about Tiger Woods for heavensake! 

But then again, the more I think about it, the more it seems to be the case.   Oh sure, it's not every putt, but more often than not, it seems that if it's a putt that's semi important, there he is. 

Granted, if you are a professional golfer, and your name isn't YE Yang, the prospect of playing with Mr. Woods on Sunday is bad enough.  We have seen a myriad of professionals wilt under the spotlight.  There are those that hold their own (Rocco Mediate, et al) and those who don't (Stewart Cink lost 8&7 to Woods in Match Play).  And, somewhere in the middle of those is 99% of all the professional golfers in the world....

So, why would he feel he needs to employ 'gamesmanship'?  Is he that insecure?  I doubt it.  Does he question his ability?  Not in the slightest.  Was he raised that way?  Absolutely not.  Is it just his 'competitive edge'?  He doesn't need it... he's Tiger-freaking-Woods! 

It is a mystery, to be sure.

I don't have an answer to this question.  I wish someone did.  Perhaps only Eldrick knows the reason.

But it's there none-the-less.  And, should you need recent proof, simply call up the video Yang's last putt at Hazeltine.  Watch closely... 

As Yang starts to bring the club back to putt, there is only one person on the entire golf course moving before he strikes the ball....

Eldrick Woods.

Ok, go ahead.. here come the flames.... 

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Aug 24 2009 3:38 PM

Wasn't the sportsman-like thing to do in Yangs case to let Woods finish out his hole before winning a major tournament?  Yang didn't do that however, he putted first.  Was this an intentional lack of golfing courtesy, or was he just excited and lost in the moment?

It's a mystery ;)

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 24 2009 3:49 PM

I don't know, tibbets.. might have been a bit of gamesmanship on Yang's part.  I agree he should have let Eldrick finish first, but then again, consider the moment and the participants... Perhaps he just got caught up and was reverting to the standard rules of the game... (ie, Furthest out hits).  /shrug.

Futhermore.. interesting comments from both the blogger and commenters here...

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Aug 24 2009 3:56 PM

Indeed.  The point was only there to illustrate that if there were any gamesmanship in Woods movement on that last putt of Yangs, it was only repaying the favor, so to speak.

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Mon, Aug 24 2009 4:51 PM

There's a big difference between cheating and ...standing there. 
    Not like he's kicking his ball into the fairway.

Who cares if he wants to stand there? If you're crapping your pants because a guy is, omg!, standing there, well then you probably don't deserve to win anyway.

Although to be fair, TW does have a s**t fit if anyone so much as scratches their ass while he's hitting. :]

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Mon, Aug 24 2009 7:56 PM

Tiger was very mad at Y.E. Yang, and at himself for blowing his lead at the PGA Championship.! I believe was "trying" to do something that would make Yang mess up, kinda like what Snaike.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Tue, Aug 25 2009 12:41 PM

That's just the point, Sab...  Tiger sends out his bodyguard/caddie to smash cameras and whatnot should someone 60' away happen to snap a picture during a backswing.

Personally, I find more pressure over a putt than I do a drive... a drive can miss by a dozen or two yards and still be very very playable, whereas a putt only has a few inches.

Oh, and it's not just that he's standing there, reminding his playing partners just who is there, but it's the fact that he starts to move before they hit the ball.  Bad form.

Also, it has been noted elsewhere (will try to provide the link when I can find it) that Mr. Woods loves to crowd the tee box....  standing just outside the comfort zone of his opponent's drives.

Very passive-aggressive if you ask me...  lol...

Anyway, just observations.  Just something to pass away some hours (days) between times I can hit a round here or IRL.

Peace.

RSS