Forums

Help › Forums

NEW COURSE OR FREE COURSES

Thu, Dec 1 2016 5:43 AM (45 replies)
  • tubbytubb
    121 Posts
    Tue, Nov 15 2016 6:18 PM

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  in my inside voice, and I'm just a dumb redneck, with only one year of college.  I hope I used enough comma's and did my grammar properly. but it would be nice if one of you proffesors, could answer a simply question. Is there a new course in the works?

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Tue, Nov 15 2016 6:37 PM

tubbytubb:
    but it would be nice if one of you proffesors, could answer a simply question. Is there a new course in the works?

Erin Hills.

Signed,

Professor Robert1893 

• LWhite3549
    318 Posts
    Tue, Nov 15 2016 11:01 PM

phred952:

SwingingRoofer:

o ya any reason for someone to stick there nose in it n tell u ur doing something wrong they will some need a life i think instead of correcting grammer ffs

you might consider punctuation in your run on sentences as the lack there of makes it very hard to comprehend what you are saying guess it happens because you are either more adept at reading this type fo stuff than the rest of us perhaps you have such an overwhelming busy life that you just cant spare the time to do such editing any social discourse needs to take place in the accepted norms dumming down is counterproductive e e cummings wasnt really that popular so channelling his work isnt going to make you a better communicator in the long run the rest of us probably have just as full of a life as you or anyone else for that matter so perhaps you need to get a grip on things and JUST STOP IT!!!

punctuation is definitely for people with too much time on their hands.

to quote thomas edison:

"Genius is one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration."

punctuation or the lack thereof (1 word) doesn't seem to be an issue. even though it rhymes. 

• tubbytubb
    121 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 4:41 AM

Thank you, Professor.  I was being a bit facious...phacious...a bit of a smart%$@, oops, censored, smartelic.  But more importantly, trying to be funny.  We have a guy in our club who is always getting on me about comma's.  I don't mind being corrected, but sometimes it seems everyone on here wants to correct some one, and that is also rude behavior. 

Just keeping it real and fun, and hopefully both at the same time.

tubbytubb   The student  :~)

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 5:03 AM

tubbytubb:

Thank you, Professor.  I was being a bit facious...phacious...a bit of a smart%$@, oops, censored, smartelic.  But more importantly, trying to be funny.  We have a guy in our club who is always getting on me about comma's.  I don't mind being corrected, but sometimes it seems everyone on here wants to correct some one, and that is also rude behavior. 

Just keeping it real and fun, and hopefully both at the same time.

Absolutely keeping it fun and real. I try not to worry too much about spelling and grammar. It's an informal discussion, and I don't think that a bit of improper grammar or misspelled word is that big of a deal. In fact, the rare times I've ever noted it in someone else on a discussion board, I immediately regretted it and said to myself, "Now, why did you post that? That wasn't necessary."

Besides, none of us is really all that terrific at writing. In fact, 11 out of 10 times I point out a grammatical mistake in someone else, I make a mistake myself. I'm also not good at math. :-)

But breaking social norms, such as typing in all caps, is something else. If a person is doing something that is simply incorrect, the person should really want to know that. Metaphorically, we don't want to be that horrible singer on American Idol who thinks he/she can sing and can't but no one ever had the guts to tell the person. Then he/she goes out there and gets laughed at by everybody. 

Take care!

Oh yeah, I actually am a professor. :-)

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 10:35 AM

LWhite3549:

As are random quotes. 

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 1:38 PM

LWhite3549:

phred952:

SwingingRoofer:

o ya any reason for someone to stick there nose in it n tell u ur doing something wrong they will some need a life i think instead of correcting grammer ffs

you might consider punctuation in your run on sentences as the lack there of makes it very hard to comprehend what you are saying guess it happens because you are either more adept at reading this type fo stuff than the rest of us perhaps you have such an overwhelming busy life that you just cant spare the time to do such editing any social discourse needs to take place in the accepted norms dumming down is counterproductive e e cummings wasnt really that popular so channelling his work isnt going to make you a better communicator in the long run the rest of us probably have just as full of a life as you or anyone else for that matter so perhaps you need to get a grip on things and JUST STOP IT!!!

to quote thomas edison:

punctuation or the lack thereof (1 word) doesn't seem to be an issue. even though it rhymes. 

Sorry, but I would differ and say that lack of punctuation is definately for lazy people.

You will note that there is a period after the word perspiration in your chosen sentence.  Find a paragrahp and quote it with all punctuation marks removed and see how much sense it will make.

At no time did I correct someones grammer (I am not and never have been a member of the Grammer Police).  I simply suggested that they confrom to the usual norms and use punctuation to mark the end of their sentences, thus making it easier to read and understand the point they were making.

Big difference.

• tubbytubb
    121 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 4:23 PM

Now I know why I don't drink Genius!!!!

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 5:24 PM

All your posts in this thread were easily read, thanks to your use of ending punctuation.  It made a big difference in understanding your points, even when you were poking a bit of fun.  That was my point all along.  Enjoy the game.

• LWhite3549
    318 Posts
    Wed, Nov 16 2016 8:17 PM

phred952:

Sorry, but I would differ and say that lack of punctuation is definately for lazy people.

You will note that there is a period after the word perspiration in your chosen sentence.  Find a paragrahp and quote it with all punctuation marks removed and see how much sense it will make.

At no time did I correct someones grammer (I am not and never have been a member of the Grammer Police).  I simply suggested that they confrom to the usual norms and use punctuation to mark the end of their sentences, thus making it easier to read and understand the point they were making.

Big difference.

i agree punctuation makes things easier to read. but implying that you can't decipher the meaning of somebodys post because there aren't commas or periods in the proper places. or that this letter "A" is somehow rude, while this letter "a" is acceptable is just ridiculous. it's just the letter A.  you guys have fun with your grammar, punctuation, spelling, social norms or whatever other supercilious rules you like. i'm out

RSS