Forums

Help › Forums

WGT - Myths, Mysteries and Legend.

Sat, May 9 2020 3:54 PM (8 replies)
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2016 12:03 PM

"An ancient tomb belonging to Amenhotep, guard of the temple of Egyptian deity Amun, has been discovered in the southern city of Luxor by an American research team. 

The tomb, found near the southern city of Luxor, dates back to the New Kingdom of the 18th Dynasty (1543-1292 BC) — the most famous of ancient Egypt dynasties.

The tombs were found earlier this year near the Sheikh Abd el-Qurna dig site, situated at the feet of the Theban mountains, between the famed valleys of the Kings and Queens over the town of al-Qurna.

The murals and hieroglyphics depict an advanced civilisation who appear to spend a large amount of time playing WGT. There are even hints that slaves on the pyramids were  playing the game during  their bread and water breaks."

A piece of wall was sent to Scotland and the hieroglyphics have been translated. Experts now believe that this is in fact the earliest known example of a WGT forum post.

The wall was on display in my local museum in Greenock, Scotland this week.So I rushed along with my camera to be able to bring you this astonishing find.

(Translation attached.)

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2016 12:06 PM

Greenock is also the home town of pioneering scientist and engineer James Watt (1736-1819), the man who gave his name to the international standard unit of power the Watt (W) and leading figure in the industrial revolution.

The curator of the museum then mentioned that he had another WGT related shock for me. He told me they had the worlds only Watt invented, designed and built ...

VEM Differential Machine 1, here seen being calibrated for WGT 10c balls -

Fascinating place I live.

Next episode - Greenock pirate Captain Kidd put to death after scuppering a WGT ship carrying Srixon balls in the Carribbean.

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2016 12:45 PM
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2016 12:54 PM

As per Tripadvisor on Greenock

#1 of 22 things to do in Greenock
  • PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2016 12:57 PM

alanti:

Sounds about right, LMAO!

Oh no hang on...22 things to do in Greenock!? 

• CEverett12
    14,177 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2016 1:23 PM

Paulton , That's some good stuff .

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Nov 4 2016 1:32 PM

CEverett12:

Paulton , That's some good stuff .

Yeah my man got back from a vacation yesterday.  ;)

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Tue, May 5 2020 9:01 AM

Don't know how I missed this on it's 1st go 'round. Well worth the excavation !

Doc :)

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sat, May 9 2020 3:54 PM

drmoose:

Don't know how I missed this on it's 1st go 'round. Well worth the excavation !

Doc :)

Same here!

Glad you brought it up, Doc.

BTW - what's updock?

RSS