Forums

Help › Forums

Icon's Community Challenge #9 - An Oakmont-ster hole out!

rated by 0 users
Sat, Oct 22 2016 9:47 PM (4 replies)
  • hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Thu, Oct 20 2016 7:05 PM

This one is really simple in concept - but as usual - really tough in execution.

Before he left - Icon insisted on seeing some MASSIVE hole-outs. Challenge #8 was off the tee - this one is from the fairway.

Icon's Community Challenge #9 - An Oakmont-ster hole out!

Icon will pay out on the longest hole-out. You may use Oakmont 10 or 12. There are no restrictions on Clubs, balls or course settings. You may set high winds, rocket greens - anything you like.

The only rule is that the minimum qualifying distance to be a truly Monster hole-out - is 300 yds.

To enter - simply post your replay here of a 300 yd (or greater) hole-out from the fairway on Oakmont #10 or Oakmont #12. 

Please feel free to share your near misses - they are always fun.

I have been very careful to select holes that are reachable by we mere mortals from over 300 yds with equipment that most players will have in their bag.

For reference - here is a shot getting somewhere near the hole on Oakmont 10 from 309 yds - using the BB 3W and a L71 Nike ball.

This challenge will run through until midnight Tuesday PDT.

Prizes:

Longest hole-out        5 sleeves of balls

2nd place                   3 sleeves of balls

3rd place                    2 sleeves of balls

next 5 places              1 sleeve of balls each

As usual - as entries come in - I will run a Leaderboard at the foot of this post.

Have Fun & Happy Hacking

Neil (The Hakman)

Leaderboard Updates will go here...

• RoggRR
    584 Posts
    Fri, Oct 21 2016 12:55 PM

almost impossible to do it by my 3W, cant go even close, neil

good luck there anyway ... see you at next challenge

• thegoosebag
    2,264 Posts
    Sat, Oct 22 2016 1:05 AM

not sure if anyone will complete this one,who knows though

i could not reach with my 3wood and at time got frustrated setting up and hoping for correct wind also using free balls does,nt really help but did try a couple of times with nikes

best of luck to all who venture out

cheers      mark.

• CycloneBoom
    684 Posts
    Sat, Oct 22 2016 11:32 AM

Yeah, this is surely the toughest challenge yet. I know they're not meant to be easy, and maybe I'm missing a trick, but unless there's a 25mph+ tailwind, most of us aren't getting close. The only time I recall hitting my 3W over 300yds is at St Andrews -- firmer, undulating fairways allowing more run out. Shame in WGT we can't hit driver off the deck like the pros!

hakman123:
    I have been very careful to select holes that are reachable by we mere mortals from over 300 yds with equipment that most players will have in their bag.

They are the best holes for this around Oakmont. However, from limited tests (on champ speeds) and your example, I'd say it's only remotely possible for those eligible for the L97 250yd Bertha, or the L99 Vapor Fly. Appreciate the effort, but I think this one is a little unfair on those who don't have access to the 'elite' equipment.

Maybe 275yds+ or CTTH is a more realistic contest? Or a hole in one at #17? Still very tough, but might give more people an opportunity. Just an idea, or even a suggestion for next time... :)

-CB

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Sat, Oct 22 2016 9:47 PM

This one came out when I got to 2ft from 301 with old raptures clubs / 3w from masters tees

:)

RSS