Forums

Help › Forums

Fair play

Wed, Nov 29 2017 9:29 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • forestomnivore
    11 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2016 12:12 PM

Does anyone else get a 60', 100', or 150' strength putter on short putts? How about not being able to get it on the green from less than 10 yds. even when 2-3 times harder than what should be necessary, and it won't let you on for another two attempts, sometimes three? When putting medium to short distance putts on fast greens and your stroke on the power meter is very close to, or is perfect, complete with the little circle around the contact point, but your ball runs 2, 3, 4, 5 times the distance if putting downhill and stops within inches on uphill putts that were right on line? I experience these things when I play all the time. Does anyone else out there have similar problems? Do you think it's fair?

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2016 9:01 PM

Prepare yourself for what is about to come in the way of replies.

Sounds like you are trying to use the chip shot for your short approaches onto the green.  If in rough, that shot flat just won't work.  Try pitch.

Sound like you need to learn distance control on your putting.  

Really surprised with your comments after 750 ranked round.  But your putting stats tell all.

EDIT...using chip if more then 1-2 off of green usually doesn't work also.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2016 9:56 PM

OK Gary, I'm trying to be nice ;)

forestomnivore:
    Does anyone else get a 60', 100', or 150' strength putter on short putts?

If from fringe, yes.

forestomnivore:
    When putting medium to short distance putts on fast greens and your stroke on the power meter is very close to, or is perfect, complete with the little circle around the contact point, but your ball runs 2, 3, 4, 5 times the distance if putting downhill

Wouldn't it be fair to give some more information to make a difference from "just a rant"?

Which hole? Which green speed? Which distance and elevation? Which putting strength? Perhaps a replay?

If I get it right, you talk about your saved putt on PHI #13 during that 45 round on PHI B9 in your score history(?)

This would have been about 18 ft w/ 8 in downslope, probably on standard Master -  very fast - greens. It's severely left-to-right up there. Behind the flag, the putt goes towards the false front of this green - we see it catch that slope on your replay after 12 ft.

In one word, it's the worst of all positions on this green!

From this point, I calculate 18-8=10 ft strength (1 on 1 on vf greens), and I took off 1 ft due to the impression of your putt. This is my replay with 9 ft putting strength to 0.9 in. I had to aim to the dot left of my arm and still missed it right-hand!

If this is close to your situation, you may have picked a double putting scale for a 12+ ft putt which then caught the front slope(?), and you might want to work on your pre-shot routine to avoid that.

forestomnivore:
    and stops within inches on uphill putts that were right on line?

Yes, I have a lot of short stops, too. Maybe I'm too timid to PUTT!

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Fri, Oct 7 2016 10:53 PM

forestomnivore:
    I experience these things when I play all the time.

Oh dear, where to start.

Your problems are self inflicted as you have not spent the time to properly learn the game.

Your putting may not be good, but your short game is even worse. You are hitting marginally more than 50% of greens, then getting up and down only 15-20% of the time.

Your clubs are OK so I am surprised you are missing so many greens. Maybe your co-ordination is not great - if so try using a Max ball to see if this helps.

Then you need to start a pre-shot routine....look at the club, do a rough (or accurate calculation of distance, check the club and shot type and the meter scale, then play and do a quick check before you hit. Do this every shot!

There are some great tips in the forums re putting distances and chipping/pitching to improve the short game. Putting green speeds make a difference so if you play different green speeds....the results will vary significantly.

You really will need to take notes, as you obviously struggle to remember after 700 ranked rounds....especially noting the distances and roll out of each shot depending on the spin used.

Most of all have fun, but the more practice and work you put in the better your scoring will become.

• Rabbit274
    1,178 Posts
    Sat, Oct 8 2016 1:20 AM

It's possible that the OP is referring to the ability to PUTT from the fairway - we've all seen the pros putting from the fairway and the ball going the distance without them having to hit particularly hard. This is one of the many anomalies in the WGT game.

From experience, I know that I can putt from a fairway when I am only one or two yards short of the green and if I just double the distance, I can get it fairly close. But if that fairway is on an upslope - forget it!

Also, as previously referred, use a full backspin pitch rather than a chip for accuracy.

• PhilEStein
    1,269 Posts
    Sat, Oct 8 2016 6:41 AM

Before I even think of helping you I see there are two separate accusations on your wall of you quitting. As I loathe and despise those who just up and walk out of a game, generally just because they are losing, I would like to see those allegations justifiably answered. How about it OP?

Btw, you wouldn't happen to have a relation called Gump by any chance?

• forestomnivore
    11 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2016 6:53 AM

I have been playing video golf since '82-'83 when the first video golf games showed up in bars, the ones with the roller ball in the console, and nearly every game style since, and I know how hard I'm hitting the ball for each type of shot. Percentage wise the speed difference between uphill and downhill putts, at least when I play, is disproportionate. On short shots around the green I almost exclusively pitch the ball. I also play real golf and have since I was 12 yrs. old and I know how shots should act after contact, and have had a fellow member and friend watch me play and he has never seen the ball react as it does when i play..                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I hope this better explains my view.

• garyk49
    2,313 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2016 12:00 PM

forestomnivore:

Percentage wise the speed difference between uphill and downhill putts, at least when I play, is disproportionate.  I know how shots should act after contact, and have had a fellow member and friend watch me play and he has never seen the ball react as it does when i play..                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I hope this better explains my view.

Oh we see now.  WGT has a different set of parameters just for you.  Tell you what, send friend invite, so you can see when I am online, and then send game invite when you see me green.  You can set game to practice mode stroke, so you can get your green speed, or whatever green speed you choose.   Any course of your choosing.  Recommend you also set 90 timer.

Still believe you don't have your shots right.  Also, apparently, you are off on your putting distance.  Did you notice in the other replay supplied, the putt was missed, but the ball was left very close to the pin.  Distance control is your first key to putting.  It is the easiest to figure out and takes much less time then trying to figure breaks.  I still have problems reading breaks sometimes, but my distance is mostly spot on.

I am not going to be able to tell you how hard to hit your putts, you need to already know that.(Apparently you don't)
    I don't use percentages based on the different green speeds.  I have charted my putter, use movement to putt by and know how hard to hit putts on different green speeds.

Going by the one replay seen in this thread, the ball was hit too hard.  That green is all downhill from the pin to the front of the green, not uncommon for it to roll that far.

If you take me up on the offer, I will help all that I can, if asked.  If you leave the game before the end, this thread will know it in a heartbeat.

• mbcarp99
    1,078 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2016 12:36 PM

forestomnivore:
    and have had a fellow member and friend watch me play and he has never seen the ball react as it does when i play..

That means nothing, all he is seeing is the outcome of your shot, not the way you played it, the putt you missed on Pinehurst was simply hit too hard and caught the down slope beyond the pin, do you know how to calculate putting distance for green speeds and elevations? if not there is lots of advice within this forum to help, if you look for it

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Mon, Oct 10 2016 1:38 PM

forestomnivore:
    I hope this better explains my view.

Nope.

• PAGES
RSS