Forums

Help › Forums

Delay becoming a Legend

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 27 2016 5:51 AM (37 replies)
  • Lgacord
    982 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 3:45 AM

I'm afraid I might become a Legend soon. I'm not opposed to it but I would like to wait until I am at a higher tier so I can buy better equipment. Any suggestions on how to take my average higher? It keeps going down. Thanks. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 3:58 AM

Once you have 500 counting RRs in the Legend pot (played at Legend) the average can only ever go down.  

The only way to avoid tiering up is to only put in high scores once that pot is full or avoid counting RRs, and never beat a Legend.  Beating a Legend = super fast special calc average drop for tiering up.

You are L90 though with L90 equipment and so armed very well at L tier equipment wise.  Many get there way sooner way game is geared these days, but by L90 you are good to go.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 4:30 AM

Mind you, he is a Master, L90, 61.04 average. There are 50 scores in the mix.

@Lgacord:

Me thinks that you are far enough up to dare the step, and also your equipment is good enough (an understatement).

=> Just go for it!

You'll have to learn to play from the new "parking lot" tees plus the new 12 Stimp greens - time enough to level up if you pine over higher level clubs.

Otherwise you'd have to maintain the two strokes which part you from Legend carefully:
    You must not shoot better than 35/70 and you must not win any Matchplay against Legends - where is the fun???

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 5:25 AM

alosso:
    You must not shoot better than 35/70

35/70?  His avg is 61.04, surely scoring anything higher than 31/62 will have no effect.

• SafariMan62
    222 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 6:10 AM

Jimbog1964:
    The only way to avoid tiering up is to only put in high scores once that pot is full or avoid counting RRs, and never beat a Legend.  Beating a Legend = super fast special calc average drop for tiering up.

My work prevents me from playing, but I read daily postings.....I played many a master/TM in the past and after the game i looked at their stats, one TM in particular has over 1500 match play wins against legends and STILL remains a TM with the same average every day. Does WGT have a special ruling that has no bearing on tiering up for certain players?

Johnny..

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 6:31 AM

PaulTon:
    alosso:
    You must not shoot better than 35/70

35/70?  His avg is 61.04, surely scoring anything higher than 31/62 will have no effect.

Sorry to say, I think that you are probably wrong. It's due to the non-linear characteristics of the saturated average. There may still be some higher scores in the mix, and he'd have to avoid to kick these out at any cost!

As an example, my last TM score pool included fifteen 64s but only one 58 and
    five 60s. Plus, I gained 1.4 from two Match wins. In the moment before the change, I stood at 61.5 and any 63 would have dropped my average.

We don't know the precise mix of the Lgacord, but apparently he has played more sub-61 scores on "good" courses than I (exclude the numerous Par3 scores). Thus it's well possible that there are 65s or even higher scores included. Replace one 65 by a 63 and he will gain 0.04 in average, enough to tier up!

After this analysis, I'd even give 37/74 as a more likely safe margin!
    But, what fun can it be to play above Par deliberately?

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 6:36 AM

SafariMan62:

Jimbog1964:

My work prevents me from playing, but I read daily postings.....I played many a master/TM in the past and after the game i looked at their stats, one TM in particular has over 1500 match play wins against legends and STILL remains a TM with the same average every day. Does WGT have a special ruling that has no bearing on tiering up for certain players?

Johnny..

Mind posting the player link on my wall please........................

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 6:36 AM

SafariMan62:
    one TM in particular has over 1500 match play wins against legends and STILL remains a TM with the same average every day. Does WGT have a special ruling that has no bearing on tiering up for certain players?

No player will know for sure, but from the reports here, my impression is that this effect ceases (??) after a certain number of wins.

At that time, I won two matches against Legends. Each dropped the average by 0.7 points, and the second one promoted me to Legend.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 7:14 AM

Damned cowards.  At 90 you should have been a legend long ago.

RSS