Forums

Help › Forums

How can I become a legend ?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Dec 5 2023 5:53 PM (28 replies)
  • weejohn5
    66 Posts
    Thu, Sep 22 2016 12:58 AM

Hi, I'm a T.M. level 97 [keep in mind levels are experience based, not skill based], ave. 62 [how I don't know since my best 18 hole score is 63, on a day when all the putts dropped !]. I am supposed to drop ave. to 61 [not feasible i.m.o.] to reach legend. Problem I have is many do not wish to play me in match-play [my favorite format] as they treat me as some kind of sandbagger. Look at my match-play record [40% success v. legends and 53% v. fellow T.M.'s] and it's obvious I am not sand-bagging ! How can I achieve legend status [I would relish the challenge of back tees] ? Any advice would be appreciated !

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Sep 22 2016 1:14 AM

A couple of points, bearing in mind that I admire players who want to tier up.......but be careful of what you wish for.

To answer your question, yes 61 average is required and played 40? ranked rounds as a TM.

Now back to my first statement - looking at your stats (and you do not play a lot of ranked rounds) your game is a long way off being at legend status. You will need to improve all stats to even score remotely well with the longer distances at legend tier.

The other thing not in your favour is low level clubs - when you do get there (for this you will need to play a lot more ranked rounds and the higher scores will drop off, so 61 is attainable, but will need investment in your clubs. A complete review is required.

I would recommend you ditch the Max ball you are using, pricey and only attribute is meter speed. 

Until then, many players sadly will avoid you as all they will see is a high level lower tier player. although you are not a bagger in my opinion.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Thu, Sep 22 2016 5:08 AM

Is TL 60 or is it 59?

• CEverett12
    14,177 Posts
    Thu, Sep 22 2016 5:33 AM

Alanti is right , Your balls have 0 spin , Not good if you want to hold the green , Scrap your hybrid and add a 3rd wedge ,  Play more ranked rounds .  Join a CC  and get the shot pal & putter pal ..... Practice ................Good Luck

• jessek12
    102 Posts
    Thu, Sep 22 2016 5:45 AM

CEverett12:

Alanti is right , Your balls have 0 spin , Not good if you want to hold the green , Scrap your hybrid and add a 3rd wedge ,  Play more ranked rounds .  Join a CC  and get the shot pal & putter pal ..... Practice ................Good Luck

Exactly what I would say CE, and I would also echo Alanti's advice about being careful what you wish for. I unexpectedly jumped from TM to Legend one night and it was a shock. I was shooting low 60s to suddenly barely breaking par (faster greens, tee boxes move back). 

You should definitely upgrade your irons also. The only benefit of those TM ones you have now is the slow meter. Lack of precision and forgiveness is killing your approach shots (I think your avg distance to pin was 21 ft). Depending on your credit balance, or whether you can earn/buy additional credits, you could go with either the TM RSi2 at L90 or the Nike Vapor Flys at L97. Both of these are played by top players and will be like night and day compared to what you have now.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Thu, Sep 22 2016 5:49 AM

The question isn't how to become a legend...the question is why?...lol

You will probably need to spend mucho $$ to upgrade your kit to be competitive from the tips. Most of your equipment is low end.

That said...good luck.

ct

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Thu, Sep 22 2016 6:21 AM

Tour Master to Legend: 61.00 average or less and 50 TM rounds counting.

Legend to Tour Legend: 60.000 average or less and 500 L rounds counting.

TL to Champ: 59.000 average or less and 200 TL rounds counting.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Thu, Sep 22 2016 7:38 AM

alosso:

Tour Master to Legend: 61.00 average or less and 50 TM rounds counting.

Legend to Tour Legend: 60.000 average or less and 500 L rounds counting.

TL to Champ: 59.000 average or less and 200 TL rounds counting.

If it is 60.0 then I'm getting close. I was at 60.15 since last winter and that last .15 had taken forever. I dropped to 60.04 this morning. A few more 29's and 30's and I'll be there.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Thu, Sep 22 2016 9:20 AM

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Thu, Sep 22 2016 12:21 PM

TopShelf2010:

ct690911:
    The question isn't how to become a legend...the question is why?...lol

Amen brother. As much as I hate to say it, if I had only known then what I know now. Then maybe I could have joined that Legend club where you only play Blitz, CTTH and Alt. Shot. You know the one, the one that you don't play Stroke Play rounds so your average stays put with no chance of advancing. And yet I could still have all the best equipment available. And in my spare time while I am waiting for some suckers to play to pad my Stats, I can make my profile page page look all pretty like.

But I digress. That horse has been flogged enough.

Don

Yeah...I don't play for anything more than the enjoyment of friends and social company. Waiting for "suckers" ain't my thing. Not even much into pretty profile pages.

I am a journeyman legend...my ability mirrors my average. I have bought decent equipment and have gifted better equipment. I believe with any hobby. you get out of it what you put in.

Good hitting, sir..:)

ct

RSS