Forums

Help › Forums

Most underrated/overrated holes difficulty wise?

Mon, Oct 10 2016 7:52 PM (38 replies)
  • razza31
    703 Posts
    Wed, Sep 14 2016 9:48 PM

elpologrande:
    What is wrong with the people that set up the "most difficult" and the "most famous" layouts and left out Oakmont?  

Contractual obligations. Cant use them in mashups.

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sat, Sep 24 2016 7:56 PM

The toughest 'easy' hole for me is Kiawah #3.  Should be an easy birdie every time.  It's always a wedge to that green, and I never know if it's gonna be 10 feet short, 10 feet long, or in the hole.  There's no other hole that short that I have no idea if I've hit a good shot until it lands.  Ironically, I remember it was the first hole I ever holed out from the fairway on when I first started playing this game 6 years ago.  That 65-85 yard shot is a mystery to me now.  Plus the green is no cinch either.  

• CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Sun, Sep 25 2016 6:35 PM

Solarflares:

I always use 2 dots of topspin here for the approach - and it's usually pretty close to a full wedge in that dip - using a Cleveland 64.   I generally land with no action on the ball , and play for the birdie - never more than 2 yards away.  In front of the pin is a tricky putt due to camera-angles and dot-accuracy. If you knock the ball around a bit in practice - you will find a quite-large area between 11 and 3 'o clock where the putt is level and straight.

Perhaps it's time to upgrade that Tour-W wedge.  Rollout means the ball is a slave to the slope of the green.  That the ball rolls down any undulation or slope - means you have to putt the other way on the next shot.  Better here to stop dead.

Thanks for the tip.  Yes, it's been YEARS since I bought new equipment.  I bought a couple of the Cleveland wedges when they first came out but found the spin difficult to control.  I still have the 80 yard Cleveland, but my 60 yard wedge I've had forever.

It's funny, it's only this one hole that gives me trouble.  I always seem to have something around 70 yards and I can never seem to get within 8 feet of that hole.  And, yup, the dots are a mess if you're short and left, which seems to be my miss on that hole... or long and left...

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Sun, Sep 25 2016 9:53 PM

Solarflares:
    Does this prove that on certain holes - we can all have some mental-block that is a product of our own selves , and this stops us seeing other possibilities?

True for me.. Merion 11 comes to mind where I really struggle to get the line right from the fairway.. Instead now I drive in the rough which gives a camera angle that suits my eye lot better.

Solarflares:
    Rollout means the ball is a slave to the slope of the green.  That the ball rolls down any undulation or slope - means you have to putt the other way on the next shot.

Not a bad thing imo.. You can get a good idea of the terrain depending on how the ball rolls and it really wont roll more than yard or 2.. Think of it like 2nd putts which are easier coming back coz u already know the line.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Sep 25 2016 9:54 PM

CMcCartney727:
     I always seem to have something around 70 yards and I can never seem to get within 8 feet of that hole.

Punch that 80W. No spin.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Mon, Sep 26 2016 10:49 AM

CMcCartney727:
    Thanks for the tip.  Yes, it's been YEARS since I bought new equipment.  I bought a couple of the Cleveland wedges when they first came out but found the spin difficult to control

The spin is not that hard to control. You just don't add any. With the spin  of the Cleveland wedges and the spin of the better balls you don't need to add any spin unless it is a touch of top spin at times. The only time I add B/S is on chips pitches and flops.

I do add full back on fairly level greens when punching the 64 degree. Doing that gives you hop and stop. And the Cleveland wedges are much more precise than the Ping Tour W's are.

• TarheelsRule
    5,469 Posts
    Tue, Oct 4 2016 11:00 AM

Toughest holes, in my opinion and I'm basing toughness on how hard it is to make birdie on them.....

1)  5th hole at Merion with back pins, can't get within 12 feet

2)  4th hole at Pinehurst sometimes you can't even reach it in regulation

3)  6th hole at BPB (the long par 4 might have hole # wrong), front right pin, hard to stop

4)  9th hole at Congressional front right pin placement

5)  1st hole at Chambers Bay, long shot in and 3 feet past the hole won't stop

I'm sure I forgot a few but those 5 are not easy birdie holes for sure.

• fairground11
    1,211 Posts
    Thu, Oct 6 2016 3:13 AM

i think you are thinking of hole 7 at bpb tarheels

RSS