Forums

Help › Forums

Most underrated/overrated holes difficulty wise?

Mon, Oct 10 2016 7:52 PM (38 replies)
  • MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 4:10 PM

I'm curious to know which holes people think are harder than they are typically given credit for or easier than people give them credit for? 

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 6:13 PM

The hole that comes to mind as easier than people seem to give it credit for is the 1st hole of Chambers Bay. At legend tier it is very long and difficult to birdie, but I don't think it's a tough hole to make a par on. And par is still supposed to be a good score. :-) 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 7:42 PM

A number come to mind, but #3 St Andys........I used to find it easy, how I struggle to make bird thesedays - innocuous hole, I just play it badly!

And #15 was tough before legend, much easier legend upwards (front pin) - back pin is still hard....any tees

• Stobsbee
    4,784 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 10:53 PM

The 8th at RSG. It's a straight-forward par 4 which I have played hunderds of times but I rarely birdie it. 

• Andivo
    830 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 11:21 PM

The # 9 at Oakmont, with the position of the short pin to the right, is among the most difficult ones.
    More generally you are always at risk bogey when the hole is placed at a point of steep slope of the green.

How about even the Merion # 7 with the position of the short pin and green 13-14 speed?

Ciao

Federico

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2016 8:05 AM

Stobsbee:

The 8th at RSG. It's a straight-forward par 4 which I have played hunderds of times but I rarely birdie it. 

13 at RSG same for me. Bandon 9th is devilish,PH 1st and 18th,PB 10.

Among the overrated ones, Merion 3rd,Bandon 1st,Oak left pin on 2nd and a few holes from Whistler.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2016 10:04 AM

Pebble 14 is IMHO the most difficult par 5 on WGT...most 5's are fairly ez birdie/possible eagle; never seen an eagle except for holeout from right rough with favorable winds in play. Par is a very acceptable outcome for most. 

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2016 5:54 AM

Andivo:

The # 9 at Oakmont, with the position of the short pin to the right, is among the most difficult ones.
    More generally you are always at risk bogey when the hole is placed at a point of steep slope of the green.

How about even the Merion # 7 with the position of the short pin and green 13-14 speed?

Ciao

Federico

I feel like Oakmont 9 has the reputation of a hard hole though. Merion 7 is a good shout, how do you play that pin?

I think Merion #3 has to be the hardest par 3 in the game. Also Pinehurst #4 is really long for a par 4.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2016 6:19 AM

Merion#5 ranks right up there. Turns out the front pin is the easy one now. That back pin is a round wrecker. LOL

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2016 2:01 PM

YankeeJim:

Merion#5 ranks right up there. Turns out the front pin is the easy one now. That back pin is a round wrecker. LOL

I've finally figured out that pin. I tried and hit it hard enough so it rolls off the bottom of the green, not the side. Then I have an easy pitch for up and down. 

No luck figuring out Merion #3 yet though

RSS