Forums

Help › Forums

Green side bunkers

Thu, Sep 1 2016 3:12 PM (5 replies)
  • GitUsummaDis
    468 Posts
    Sun, Aug 28 2016 8:50 PM

This is what happens to me in most cases. I can't take the yardage to the pin and calculate say a 30/35% buried ball. There is always the factor of and most importantly the height of the bunker above the ball say it's a 4ft lip you have to use enough power just to get out of the bunker even though I know the ball is gonna go long (past the pin) cause you're deep down below the elevation. Unless there's a calcuation for that somehow or in any case do I just deal with it?

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 3:41 PM

Might be this video are helps to you, It big help to me 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcP_g-hbl-g

Any of this boys videos is most good to be learn from

• GitUsummaDis
    468 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 5:04 PM

Thanks. Well, in that video he didn't have much of low bunker. Easy to get out for the most part but I'll give that a try and look over his other videos. I was looking more for bunkers that are well below, like 4ft, below the top of the bunker having to swing harder just to get out. 

• Young46
    1,292 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 8:04 PM

Thanks Kilbraur. GitUsummaDis, is there a specific hole you are referring to? The increased elevation means 2 things. 

1) Add 1 extra yd of carry per 5ft of elevation. I.E. say the shot is 5ft uphill and I want to land it 11yds, I would need to actually hit it 12yds for it to carry 11yds. 

2) Release ... because the hole is above our feet, the ball is going to come out on a lower trajectory. This means you may have to factor in more release depending on the severity of the slope you are hitting into. If there's a big upslope near the hole then you can play less release and use the upslope to deaden the shot. If you are unsure, go into putting mode and use the color of the grid lines to help you determine the severity of the slope. 

If you have a certain bunker or hole in mind I can do a video on it to help you get a better understanding if you need. 

• GitUsummaDis
    468 Posts
    Thu, Sep 1 2016 1:08 PM

There are many holes with bunkers. I'll try to explain again. Your shot lands in bunker. You're facing the pin. But the bunker is deep down below the green so you have to hit it hard to get up over the the top of the bunker and also so that it lands on the green to roll to the hole. Since I have to hit the ball extra hard to clear the top of the bunker and land on the green when the ball lands all that extra power means it's going to roll further past the pin but at least I got it out. Pin elevation I understand that part.

• GitUsummaDis
    468 Posts
    Thu, Sep 1 2016 3:12 PM

I made a new thread with an example and all of the data called Bunker Scenario.

RSS