Help › Forums

The New GS Wind/Putting Calculator

Sat, Oct 1 2016 12:26 AM (127 replies)
  • MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Thu, Sep 8 2016 5:18 PM

Solarflares:

MrFunnyWobbl:

Didn't know WGT had so many people who can do complex math in their head. 

For those that want the real deal.

http://www.ijimt.org/papers/419-D0260.pdf

That's really neat but they fail to account for how hard it would be to code all that.

• PRStevenson
    842 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 3:07 AM

Wow, slightly suprised I received ad hom replies on WGT for echoing the same sentiment others have expressed. I guess there's 2 camps. Those who like having everything worked out for them and those who like to work it out for themselves.

Just because I fall into the latter, doesn't mean my opinion is less valid than anyone elses.

I respect that there are people may want to use programs/calculation sheets or whatever else they can get their hands on to try and improve their game, while others just want to get on and play the game and enjoy it for what it is. I was respectful in my reply, it's a shame others can't be. Anyway, each to their own.

• garypinhunter
    1,049 Posts
    Fri, Sep 9 2016 6:40 AM

11BC2:

Solarflares:

The organic process of mentally calculating a shot - this connects the player to the experience fully.  This helps in the execution of the shot itself.

To delegate this process to one of inputting numbers into a side-program - this takes away responsibility and breaks the mental-flow.

I'm taking it your a true golfer?  Perhaps you might be a gaming (this game) Golf purist then?  I don't connect with anything you said here.  Even when playing high end PC games with beautiful graphics potential, especially when played on Ultra settings to make every single person, gun, tree, tile, tower, tank, windows, etc..... look amazing I always pass.

I will throw on the lowest graphics settings (except for a few important ones) to ensure lowest latency, no lag, and in general, ensure my game is maximized for optimal performance.  That's what it's all about in all games anyways, maximizing your bottom line and performing to your potential via Streamlining, Execution, and Results.

Inputting numbers into a calculator is nothing more than doing math quicker.  That's it.  It has nothing to do with depth, scratching surfaces, or responsibility/character (like zero - both these make no sense to me). 

So I'm just a bit confused how entering a few numbers into a calculator will have a detrimental impact on my Character and Personal Accountability (responsibility)?

So when it comes to calculators it seems most people either love them (performance driven), or hate them (purist and prefer more to take in the experience).  Still don't get the hate for them.  Pro-golfers have caddies with insane course knowledge, to include perfect mappings/yardages from almost anywhere on every single hole. 

Well stated for sure.  Gary

• GitUsummaDis
    468 Posts
    Fri, Sep 16 2016 2:40 PM

ScottHope:

There are three formulas to calculate the wind offset in the '12hr clock'. If you want ½hr incremements we will need three more, unless you would be content for the offset yardage to be halfway between the hours either side.

I see what you mean. I'll see if I'm competent enough to offset the ydg. LOL. I only use this calculator for wind over 5mph. Until I get much better playing with almost no wind then when I play all I will have to do is compensate the wind. I don't see the good in trying to play Mod or High wind if I can't yet master playing with Low wind.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Fri, Sep 16 2016 3:03 PM

GitUsummaDis:
    I don't see the good in trying to play Mod or High wind if I can't yet master playing with Low wind.

Would you apply that logic to real world golf?

If I did, here on the west coast of Scotland, there are maybe 20 days in my lifetime that I could have played golf.

Play the whole game, it makes you a better player.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Sep 16 2016 3:40 PM

YankeeJim:

I know that, you know that and I'll bet a couple of enterprising Germans also knew it. Even took it one step further.

LOL, make that 1 enterprising German w/ 3 user names, and it wasn't Excel he was using...LOL

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Sep 16 2016 3:47 PM

PRStevenson:

Wow, slightly suprised I received ad hom replies on WGT for echoing the same sentiment others have expressed. I guess there's 2 camps. Those who like having everything worked out for them and those who like to work it out for themselves.

Just because I fall into the latter, doesn't mean my opinion is less valid than anyone elses.

I respect that there are people may want to use programs/calculation sheets or whatever else they can get their hands on to try and improve their game, while others just want to get on and play the game and enjoy it for what it is. I was respectful in my reply, it's a shame others can't be. Anyway, each to their own.

PRStevenson:

I did the same thing a long time before this was posted but just kept it for personal use. 

With all due respect!

• GitUsummaDis
    468 Posts
    Fri, Sep 16 2016 4:12 PM

PaulTon:

GitUsummaDis:
    I don't see the good in trying to play Mod or High wind if I can't yet master playing with Low wind.

Would you apply that logic to real world golf?

If I did, here on the west coast of Scotland, there are maybe 20 days in my lifetime that I could have played golf.

Play the whole game, it makes you a better player.

Well no I wouldn't but this isn't real world golf. That's the luxury we have here. I do play the whole game but I use Pinhunters wind calc for now. I don't have a baseline for playing in the wind for this game.

RSS