The New GS Wind/Putting Calculator

Sat, Oct 1 2016 12:26 AM (127 replies)
  • garypinhunter
    1,049 Posts
    Sun, Aug 28 2016 3:06 PM

JFidanza:

garypinhunter:

MrFunnyWobbl:

Can't get it to open when downloaded. Not familiar with the file type, should it be .xls if an excel file?

Yes it is an excel file.  And openoffice will open it as well.  Gary

openoffice writer or draw?  I have 2 options. Then when I try to open it has a popup 'what filter' w/ about 3 dozen choices. So far any choice I guess at ends in a freeze of a error message pop up.

TYIA

Openoffice spreadsheet is what you want to use.  Gary

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Sun, Aug 28 2016 4:51 PM

I'm a bit confused. Does adjusted distance only factor in elevation?

For example - this calculation can't be right because it's telling me to hit less than 110 hitting into an 11mph wind 

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Aug 28 2016 10:03 PM

Would Wgt  be able to give approval for this.  Maybe one of the Mods can say yayy or nayy.

I think it's getting to that stage now   lol  as we don' want to be banned for something that we think is legal.

-Roger

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 1:02 AM

I think you guys are getting a little bit paranoid. This program runs completely separate from the game. Imagine it to be a coach shouting encouragement to his athlete from the stands, if he jumped out of the stands and on to the track to push the athlete along to make him go faster then you would be right to say that was cheating. This program does not do that.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 5:11 AM

ScottHope:
    I think you guys are getting a little bit paranoid. This program runs completely separate from the game.

I know that, you know that and I'll bet a couple of enterprising Germans also knew it. Even took it one step further.

Gary dropped the program tag, you might consider it, too. Just a thought.

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 6:18 AM

ScottHope:
    I think you guys are getting a little bit paranoid.
    And then some.  It's nothing more than an excel sheet calculator and is a brilliant tool to improve someones game.  I know I've seen people like Walk of Life post other excel sheets in this forum, even recently with a Punch Chart (he also uses AHK for a ruler - some others do too).

More visual aids and calculators the better (who doesn't want to improve their game!? Seriously, who doesn't??).   I even like the Pinhunters "Vector Clock" download which lets you set up a clock (click and drag size too) to help you visualize landing your approach in a very specific area (and use clock hands as wind direction).

So I for one appreciate the work and effort to make this game a lot more fun (scoring lower is more fun than sucking because I'm too lazy to keep notes or use a calculator).  I'm quite enjoying my new Skype/chat with all my golf friends and mates too. 

So Scott and Gary, keep up the fantastic work.

Cheer.  Sean.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 6:43 AM

Guys ,the only way WGT can see anything is if you get inside of their ball park. Plus the program has a flaw. 

I was comparing it to mine , so gave it a 125 distance 0 elevation 30mph head wind and the program said hit 125........lol 

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 6:53 AM

The program (sorry Jim, but a spade is a spade) does not include any distance adjustment for the wind Gary, yet.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 8:20 AM

oK , sorry Scott was assuming the distance calculated was the distance to hit.

• msulaman
    447 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 9:18 AM

Nice job on this spreadsheet Gary and Scott. The interface is well done and (to me) quite intuitive. I've been using my own spreadsheet (a slight modification of the one sent to me by KenZarley) for putting so I wanted to compare yours.

I find that the distance calculations for putting work very well with a couple of caveats. 

First you have to be careful for fairly short putts. For example a 6 ft putt on Tourney greens (t12) with 0 elevation gives a power reading of 4.5 ft. If you putt this distance you are most likely to be disappointed because the putt will come up short. (Yes I checked the elevation for a few feet past the hole to make sure it stayed zero.) I would hit this putt 5.5 feet or more to make sure that the putt is not short.

Second for long putts with significant elevation up the recommended power will result in your putt being long. For example on Merion #1 I tested the spreadsheet with the following results:

Putt dist (ft)    Elevation (in)   =   Distance past hole (ft)

23                       +6              =               +3

30                       +7              =               +4

36                     +10              =               +4

46                     +14              =               +4

I have the same problem with the spreadsheet I use so I know it's a challenging problem.

Keep up the good work gentlemen. So far JOB WELL DONE!

Curtis

RSS