Help › Forums

TM M1 driver. L55 vs. L74

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 31 2016 3:14 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JasCooper
    528 Posts
    Thu, Aug 25 2016 10:23 AM

Are the numbers on these two drivers accurate? The same club but for 3 yards and 100 credits more with the L74? Or is 280 being conservative?

How about the L79 SLDR at 282? I've heard that IS conservative. 

Do I have to sacrifice forgiveness or meter speed to get distance?

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 8:33 PM

Hi Jas

I can only speak about the M1. I bought the L55 and sold it soon after. For St Andrews it's ok, anywhere with a medium sized bush around, it won't get over it. It's not clear in the comparison but the L74 is a different animal. Forgiveness is great and the fallen squirrels are my fault, not the M1's.

I can't really help with an alternative, I've stuck with the L74, but look for one with a "high" rating, I think that's the best way to go.

Cheers

Rich

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2016 8:42 PM

Just seen you went for the L74 M1. Good choice IMHO, still got mine and happy with it. Squirrels too.

Cheers!

Rich

• browneyes1994
    317 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2016 7:06 AM

Have a friend on here that had the taylormade r15 level90 & then bought the nike vapor fly level 85.  used vapor  it one time love it got rid of the taylormade driver  nike was 400 credits cheaper  twice as nice also. just her opinion. 

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2016 1:37 PM

Whatever you feel comfortable with, long way to Lvl 90 though.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2016 4:15 PM

I have both. The TM is longer, particularly into the wind. The Nike is more forgiving and more consistent. 

For me, hitting fairways is more important than a smidgen more distance, so the Nike is my everyday driver.

browneyes1994:

Have a friend on here that had the taylormade r15 level90 & then bought the nike vapor fly level 85.  used vapor  it one time love it got rid of the taylormade driver  nike was 400 credits cheaper  twice as nice also. just her opinion. 

• whooshdangit
    1,246 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:32 PM

Hi

I vaguely remember renting the Nike, my thoughts were similar but I was happy with the M1 and it made no sense selling it to buy something so alike.

I was basing my opinion on the OP being at Lvl 75. That's a long time to wait for the Lvl90 R15 or even the Lvl85 Nike.

Cheers!

Rich

• JasCooper
    528 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2016 11:57 PM

I won't be seeing level 90 until next summer if I play every day for my consecutive days XP points. I'm not disappointed in upgrading from the L55 to L74. I tried them both out before I sold the L55 and was getting 5 or 6 yards more on average. It is such a forgiving club with a nice slow meter speed.

On the downside, both of them seem to have a propensity to catch trees next to the fairway. So I've been looking at what my next upgrade will be when I reach higher levels. But I have lots of time. Given that there are several drivers that are rated in the 280-285 yard range, I'd like to know how loft and trajectory affect clubs with the same distance rating. 

Like how can two clubs go the same distance with different lofts and the same trajectory? Like one is 9 degrees and the other 10.5. Or how does a 9 degree club have a higher trajectory than a 10.5? Wouldn't that defy physics?

But for now, the TM M1 paired with longer distance balls and a tailwind can produce massive drives. 

And the free credits for watching videos has been pretty consistent lately. 

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2016 10:18 AM

In a word, backspin.

Using the new tee shot data box, you can see how much difference in ball height there is by using backspin. For those pesky trees, I use full backspin. This is an absolute must on holes like BPB #2.

The one exception is PB #14. Through bitter experience, I've found the best approach, for me, is 3w, 3i and wedge. That damn tree on the right side always seems to catch my tee shot with the driver.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2016 10:18 AM

In a word, backspin.

Using the new tee shot data box, you can see how much difference in ball height there is by using backspin. For those pesky trees, I use full backspin. This is an absolute must on holes like BPB #2.

The one exception is PB #14. Through bitter experience, I've found the best approach, for me, is 3w, 3i and wedge. That damn tree on the right side always seems to catch my tee shot with the driver.

• PAGES
RSS