Forums

Help › Forums

Do putters make a difference

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 19 2016 2:07 PM (22 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2016 9:42 AM

OP: Any better club or ball will improve your game. If money is an object (like with most of us), the trick is to prioritize your purchases.

I have played against excellent players who still use the starter (or a very low end putter). Their approaches are consistently good enough that putter specs like balance and accuracy are not of major concern.

If it is a longish putt you face, then a better putter certainly helps.

I have tried most of the putters. I agree with Flares that the best putter for your money is the Versa. (I have been using the level 70 for a long time now). Others swear by the Nike models, but I could never get used to them.

One final thought. Learn to read the greens. If you cannot master break and speed of the green...even the most expensive putter will be of limited help. That's where Top Shelf's advice of endless practice, comes into play.

ct

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2016 9:52 AM

I see you rented the Versa, hope you liked it.

If I may add another ingredient to this cake mix, how about waiting 2 levels and trying the L35 Ghost Spider?  It's nearly 1,000 credits cheaper but has stats damn near as good.  A lot of the new putters seem to be unreasonably expensive in my opinion, at least compared to some of the mid level ones still available.

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2016 10:43 AM

MainzMan:

I see you rented the Versa, hope you liked it.

If I may add another ingredient to this cake mix, how about waiting 2 levels and trying the L35 Ghost Spider?  It's nearly 1,000 credits cheaper but has stats damn near as good.  A lot of the new putters seem to be unreasonably expensive in my opinion, at least compared to some of the mid level ones still available.

Good pick up MM. I had forgotten I used the lvl 35 spider back in the day. It's $8US, where the lvl 70 Versa is $25US. They are both good putters, but I agree the Versa is not 3 times better than the ghost. They are actually quite similar in many ways.

The versa is the better putter if you can afford it, but you won't go wrong with the level 35 Spider.

ct

• peoch
    1,127 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2016 1:19 PM

Have y tryed the Daytona Rosa? very good. cost 725 c

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2016 1:42 PM

peoch:

Good point but also raises another point - whether the OP is a ding or off ding putter. Certain putters work better for the different methods.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2016 2:15 PM

peoch:

You're right and I would have suggested it to the OP but he's 22 levels away from it.  :-(

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2016 3:22 PM

"Good point but also raises another point - whether the OP is a ding or off ding putter. Certain putters work better for the different methods."

I have always been an off ding putter...just not on purpose (:

That said, maybe a good thing considering hitting the ding too often can get a player in trouble...lol

ct

I just reviewed the pro shop for putters...surprising that so many different clubs have been replaced by newer ones, but many of the old putters (classics?) are still available...and for the same price as when I started out.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2016 4:32 PM

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2016 4:43 PM

TopShelf2010:
    Not intentionally hijacking the thread, but has anyone downgraded equipment and improved their game? More specifically putters?

Not sure if my putting has improved.......but I have gone from the 96 Versa to the 77 Method for a month or so........and my scoring has been as good if not better.

But the caveat is I am not a gazillion of miles away from the hole 5 -15 average feet but the slower meter helps. Biggest problem I have is power with it, it was always soft under 10 feet and the scale takes getting used to after a long time with the versa.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2016 5:00 PM

RSS