Forums

Help › Forums

Do putters make a difference

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 19 2016 2:07 PM (22 replies)
  • Heverly0
    10 Posts
    Tue, Aug 16 2016 9:50 PM

I'm debating upgrading my putter. My putting in this game, is horrible. I'm typically good at putting in all other golf games.  But this one.. can't stand it.  

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2016 1:01 PM

Learn to putt properly with what you have, once you get the basics right and your putting is getting better you might think of upgrading your putter.

Great game tips here - Gary Pinhunters Tips

I looked at your stats, on your approach shots you have an average distance to pin of 25ft.

Two decent wedges would get you closer, more often, leaving you shorter putts to deal with.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2016 1:07 PM

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2016 1:24 PM

Yes, a better putter will make a difference, if that is what you are asking. 

As far as how to putt, find a method and get comfortable with it. I recommend Jay's putting video with the different aiming points. Helped me learn to read greens a ton, even if I don't strictly use the aim points now. 

I'm not nearly as strong a putter as others here, so take my words with a grain of salt and listen to others first. 

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2016 2:57 PM

Of the two putters in your game, improve the man before improving the club.

The Starter putter ain't perfect but it ain't a bad club, so take your time to practice to avoid unneccessary buys.

BTW1: Observe the green speeds!

BTW2: Buy only a putter of 500+ credits ;)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2016 5:24 PM

MrFunnyWobbl:
    Yes, a better putter will make a difference, if that is what you are asking. 

^^This. Practicing with a balsa wood stick is fruitless and that's what you have. Terrible advice, alosso.

Balance and precision in a putter is what you're after. The better the balance, the more likely the ball will hold the line. That Anser at level 28 is a huge improvement if you want to keep the cost down. The other 2 are more expensive but you will have them for a long time. In any case, all 3 of those are miles better than what you have now.

One thing to keep in mind-whatever you do, stick with it. You don't buy putts, you buy a better piece of equipment and you have to learn it. That doesn't happen in one or two rounds, either. Give it many rounds over many days. I highly recommend the Putting Tips as I have used that method from Day 1. GL

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2016 8:00 PM

PaulTon:

Learn to putt properly with what you have, once you get the basics right and your putting is getting better you might think of upgrading your putter.

Great game tips here - Gary Pinhunters Tips

I looked at your stats, on your approach shots you have an average distance to pin of 25ft.

Two decent wedges would get you closer, more often, leaving you shorter putts to deal with.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

+1

Three good wedges will improve your putting faster than a new putter. Personally, I used the starter putter for quite a while before I spent any credits on a decent putter. I still think that's a good approach.  

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2016 10:08 PM

IBTD.

YankeeJim:
    That Anser at level 28
    ... is not good enough to be kept for a long time, and compared to

YankeeJim:
    The other 2 are more expensive but you will have them for a long time.

it's just a waste.

IMHO, the imperfections of the Starter putter can be tolerated as long as the guy at the mouse has to work out the power and aim of the putts - most of all, balance is missing, and that shows only on long distance putts. Also, the meter of custom putters is faster than the Starter's, so additional expenses of custom balls may be necessary - follow-up costs which will easily eat the low price of the Anser.

From L28, it's 10,000 XPs to L35 and 70,000 XPs to L55 - 15 or 100 days which are a good time to practice (and to collect credits if necessary).

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2016 2:13 AM

alosso:
    most of all, balance is missing, and that shows only on long distance putts.

Therein lies the problem.....most lower level players are putting from longer distances, so any putter with better attributes will help.

But there is a caveat, and it comes down to cost. If you have money to throw at the game. upgrade by all means as the better clubs will help the scoring...but you still need to learn how to use them.

Lower level equipment will become obsolete quickly, therefore if money (credits) is a factor....take your time to get the latter equipment alosso mentions.

I personally did not upgrade clubs till I made Master.....then it was pay up or quit. The game is great fun and was worth it......if I did it again would I upgrade sooner.....yes!

But if money/credits is an issue....be prudent and wait as long as you can to avoid the gravy train.

RSS