Help › Forums

putting question .....

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 24 2016 8:59 PM (8 replies)
  • jamesfox1973
    104 Posts
    Tue, Aug 16 2016 2:23 AM

just played another st andrews....

on hole14/15 had a putt 69ft with 19 incline hit the power meter at 75ft( as before i had this type of putt and hit a 80ft putt and it went 20/30ft past holet..lol)...putt went 72ft ??....looks like incline had no effect what so ever nor did the big slope it seems...

on hole 16 ..37 with 19 incline hit 37 and putt wetn 25 ??...this time incline decided to have an effect....

• thepack52
    218 Posts
    Tue, Aug 16 2016 9:55 AM

I have had much the same problem i had a 6 foot putt on hole 7 at Kiawah about an 8 inch rise,left to right break. When,i putted I aimed left,hit,left,of the hole at 15 ft.the ball never broke and went over 20 feet.it does this  a lot on Kiawah and st.andrews. I have had the not breaking problem on Olympic also. kind of tiring when it is constantly happening. and when you play te next time, you go aha! this hole shows a good break but it doesn't so you hit it straight and whoa!,it breaks like mad... can't play a decent round likre that, and before you tell me to clean my cache,i do that every day, nothing running on the computer that I don't need. I even shut down the antivirus when I play

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Tue, Aug 16 2016 2:03 PM

Both of you: Do you look at and consider the green speed (upper right)? You don't mention it...

It differs between tiers and between tournaments, and it matters both in regular length and in impact of the elevation.

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Tue, Aug 16 2016 2:26 PM

thepack52:
    i had a 6 foot putt on hole 7 at Kiawah about an 8 inch rise,left to right break.

You wont get a putt like that on Kiawah #7 from any angle.

• jamesfox1973
    104 Posts
    Wed, Aug 17 2016 2:44 AM

the greens i play on atm are fast green 10....which in itself is a wonder...

as some putts on the flat go +30% of wat i hit...so 10ft goes 13ft..while other when hit 10ft stop at 9ft...:P....

i dont mind a game being hard to play but when its so random how can u properly calc the proper shot?...

• narsole
    15 Posts
    Thu, Aug 18 2016 7:39 AM

I have found that practice games and scored games are on completely different planets. I regularly play tournament speed on practice with no problem. However play a scored game and a putt on a moderate speed will fly past the hole! It's akin to the wind meter in that some drives will soar past my target playing into a 20 mph headwind one minute and then fall short with a 20 mph tailwind. 

• System3
    47 Posts
    Mon, Aug 22 2016 7:10 AM

WATCH YOUR CADDY

He often hands me a 20' range putter when a 10' is needed.

Result is the put goes twice as far as you want with less break.

Check all clubs & shot types before assuming he is right !

LFOD !

System3

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Aug 22 2016 11:33 AM

jamesfox1973:
    on hole14/15 had a putt 69ft with 19 incline hit the power meter at 75ft( as before i had this type of putt and hit a 80ft putt and it went 20/30ft past holet..lol)...putt went 72ft ??....looks like incline had no effect what so ever nor did the big slope it seems...

That should be about an 88 foot strong swing. I could see why it came up short. The other one you referred to sounds like maybe the meter switched up on you without you noticing. Twice you remembered that odd putt and underpowered the putt. I'd say forget that odd one.  :-)

• SplashLewis
    358 Posts
    Wed, Aug 24 2016 8:59 PM

If you always play a higher scale putter, you will never have problem with the caddy.  In other words, caddy says use your 15ft putter for this 4 foot putt.  But since you use the next higher putter, you change it to your 30 foot putter.  The consistency of you always selecting your putter, will prevent the caddy from "giving" you the wrong one. 

RSS