Forums

Help › Forums

how do you hit the long ball???

Mon, Jan 12 2009 3:15 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tamochin
    4 Posts
    Sun, Nov 30 2008 7:57 AM

i have never hit the ball more than 247yds. ive think ive tried everything. yet i know many players hit the ball consistantly further. one player has put the ball out 280+. ive tried full to slight top spin neutral spin to slight to full back spin. ive tried different swing tempos, fast to medium to slow back swing, smooth back swing smooth transition from back to foward swing. full power to just under full.and my most recent i concentrated on pushing my mouse up exactly straight, thinking it might be giving me a bad back swing that could be change my down swing. all with no consistant sucess. could it be my computer? i bearly have enough to rin the program but with recent memory up grades i feel its acceptable. can it be that faster computer = faster club head speed? can any one help me? this game is supposed to be realistic, in real life i can hit the ball in the 300yd range with good conditions. so why cant i do it here?

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Nov 30 2008 8:26 AM

The only reason I hit a 282yd drive was that I hit a yardage marker on hole #1 and the ball ricocheted a long way, so it was just a quirk.  The clubs we are all using are a beginner set, not designed for extreme length or spin control.  As this Beta version proceeds into the next phase, new clubs will become available, sometime early next year as I'm told.

• tamochin
    4 Posts
    Sun, Nov 30 2008 8:54 AM

i suspected that may be the case with that 282, how can a player with the same clubs and same conditions consistantly hit the ball 5-10 yds further than myself when i play them in a match. im looking for tips. ive seen a player hit the ball a little over 250 then i tee up and hit 230, what did this person do differently.   other people i play flat out hit the ball further and i want to know how. 

• rologica
    9 Posts
    Sun, Nov 30 2008 9:09 AM

I don't know if it's true, but I think that if you give the ball some fade (left of center) or draw (right of center) it will have more roll. And if that happens on a down slope you have some extra roll.

So try to hit the ball with a nice face or draw and have it roll on a down slope to get those extra yards...

• tamochin
    4 Posts
    Sun, Nov 30 2008 12:55 PM

you know what, the yardage markers are not solid! ive hit the ball on to them and they are just like grass. ive even hit off from them and i take a divot. to hit the marker on #1 i would lay up just before and chiped on to it , no rock like sound, as far as im concerned that in the program they are just colored patches of grass. also before you put up the 282  you had 272 for a long drive. was that a yardage marker also? 

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sun, Nov 30 2008 1:34 PM

272 was accomplished with a glitch in the old Beta version on hole#2, where if you hit into the trees left of the fairway, it would bounce off the mulch like concrete and bounce up and over into the fairway below.  Many other players had 265+ drives using this same glitch.

As for the yardage marker, its the only time I have ever hit that particular marker(150) dead on the fly.  There's no other explanation I can provide you for why it took off like it did.

For pointers on better drives:  Each hole generally has a 'best line' to take, which will provide better roll.  Sometimes it requires full backspin to elevate over a hump, other times it needs full topspin to maximize roll.  It all depends on the hole.

• tamochin
    4 Posts
    Sun, Nov 30 2008 2:56 PM

thanks for the advice 

• KillerRabbit
    31 Posts
    Sun, Dec 7 2008 4:46 PM

why can't you hit the driver off the short grass

• Costain
    28 Posts
    Tue, Dec 9 2008 10:44 PM

It's called "driver off the deck" for a reason. Yes, sometimes in real life you can hit the driver from the fairway and it will go somewhere, but with the beginner clubs, it can't. I'm guessing that when we get an upgrade of clubs, that driving off of the fairway will be a possibility, but how accurate will be interesting.

• Kuchtak23
    10 Posts
    Thu, Dec 11 2008 12:18 PM

Hi as Tibets says he hit the yardage mark on hole1 and it bounce for another 40 yrd,but that yardage mark is about 240yrd so your drive goes straight to yardage mark?If so then when u didnt hit it drive is gona be for 260yrd whitch sounds to me imposible with those clubs.Thanks for explain.

• PAGES
RSS