Forums

Help › Forums

Nike Fly Pro L97 Irons?????

Sat, Oct 15 2016 9:43 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BakerPaul909
    28 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 3:09 AM

Can I ask for help from anyone who has the Nike Vapour Pro L97 Irons please?? I have just bought a set, but cannot work out the yardages for each Iron.

Each Iron seem to fly approx. 10yards further than the stated yardage, but they are seriously effected by wind, Ding and how much spin you set on each shot. With the unfortunate result that my approach shots are now either way short or way longgggggggggg!

I`m tempted to bin them and return to my previous Nike Vapour Pro L85 Irons that had truer distances, but before I do that it would be good to hear if anyone has worked out the secret of how to use them?

Any help will be gratefully received

• firetrucky
    172 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 11:50 AM

My advice to you is to take them and play a practice round with them and map the distances out. Make sure you use the ball that you normally play with while doing so. The ball that you use can make a big difference in the distance, with and with out spin. In my opinion find a ball that you like and stick with it! Changing to a ball with a .5 difference in spin or distance can change the length of your irons a bunch. I have played with the level 61 nike for over a year now and have no plans in changing, unless nike goes away..... but that is a different thread!

I think if you will stick with the irons and learn them you will love them. They have been very consistent for me!

Good luck and Happy Hitting!

Fire

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 12:12 PM

Just keep using them, takes a couple of weeks to get used to the changes.

Once you do, you'll never look back.

• BakerPaul909
    28 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 1:27 PM

Many thanks for your input Fire, it is appreciated

Regards

Paul

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 2:09 PM

PaulTon:

Just keep using them, takes a couple of weeks to get used to the changes.

Once you do, you'll never look back.

+1 Also you have to totally relearn your new clubs . The 97+ irons give you 5 yards more each club at the start . Then when you add a better ball plus wind its a whole new game for you . Go set up a practice round on the best of par 5 s and pick a hole and work out with your irons .

But as Paul said it will take some time to learn them but it wont take long . You should have them down by 2 sleeves of balls no more than 3 at the most . Have fun and good luck with you game .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 2:22 PM

BakerPaul909:
    Each Iron seem to fly approx. 10yards further than the stated yardage

They probably do but you need to know just how much. Learn the carry without spin before you do anything. Get to the back 9 on BPB in a low wind practice round and hit to the start of one of the fairways. Then, using the mulligan feature, hit each iron and note the yardage when you hear the thump on landing. I suspect within one ball you'll know what you need to know.

You made a great move getting them.  :-)

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 10:18 PM

You can ultimately make the decision but I would use the Nike L61 ball, myself.

Like fmags uses.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Mon, Aug 15 2016 1:50 AM

As others say it's practice.  I agree BPB B9 low winds practice round for mapping.  After that same B9 in low wind turney round in your CC.  Top level clubs and top level balls allow the most potential, but will show up lack of ability the most.  

I see you do not have a Nike ball in your bag now.  Absolutely pointless using another ball and then walking out without your Nike ball you want to get used to (exact one) each time.  

True high loft clubs that will take more wind affect.  Start using that back spin and the ball will fizz real soon.  All there to be used, but the L85s are easier going if not quite as capable in the right hands......You know your shot with the L97s and they will respond very well.  

• BakerPaul909
    28 Posts
    Sun, Aug 21 2016 1:44 AM

Firstly a Big Thank You to everyone who responded to my appeal for help with my new Nike L97 Irons.

After 3weeks of practice and returning to my gaming L90 Nike Balls, I`m now getting the distances dialled in. I still have the occasional long or short, but the misses are now less severe.

Three lessons learnt; 1. Be patient. 2. Be careful with the amount of Spin that you apply with these Irons, they are sensitive wee sticks. 3. Without factoring, Wind, Spin, Ball and Ding into the calculation, each club Flies 5-10% more than stated Yardage.

Each Iron shot is a longer equation, but get it right and the results can be awesome!

Best Regards

BakerPaul909

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Aug 21 2016 2:45 PM

BakerPaul909:

Firstly a Big Thank You to everyone who responded to my appeal for help with my new Nike L97 Irons.

After 3weeks of practice and returning to my gaming L90 Nike Balls, I`m now getting the distances dialled in. I still have the occasional long or short, but the misses are now less severe.

Three lessons learnt; 1. Be patient. 2. Be careful with the amount of Spin that you apply with these Irons, they are sensitive wee sticks. 3. Without factoring, Wind, Spin, Ball and Ding into the calculation, each club Flies 5-10% more than stated Yardage.

Each Iron shot is a longer equation, but get it right and the results can be awesome!

Best Regards

BakerPaul909

Well played.

Yardage wise all the balls vary, and so you can kind of see why.  Some one can correct me but those yardages are really aimed at teamed with a starter ball?  Really is going with what see.  Any change to spin setting making so much difference can be confusing at the start, but in the end allows so many more shots (in the right hands).  Good luck with it and sounds like coming together nicely.  Nice of you to update as always interesting as discuss this type oef thing in the CC as well.

• PAGES
RSS