Help › Forums

ball spin unobtainable???

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 14 2019 6:59 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • StevenTrump
    16 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2016 11:10 AM

Still can't get backspin with my low level Cleveland's, but got a  free rental of a tour w wedge, and I could get backspin, so its obviously the wedges.

• hatcojack
    410 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2016 11:42 AM

StevenTrump:

Still can't get backspin with my low level Cleveland's, but got a  free rental of a tour w wedge, and I could get backspin, so its obviously the wedges.

it is combination of club/ball. usually need 3 dots of spin on both to get good results.

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2016 12:10 PM

Thanks for the heads up Steven. I'm going to give up trying to achieve any "practical spin" while using my WGT starter clubs & unlimited balls. If I understand things correctly (& your comment above), workable spin (especially any degree of backspin on the green) is only achievable by having higher level wedges & balls. The higher level, more expensive equipment, the more spin that can be expected & achieved. 

I may have to invest in some top-notch wedges & max spin balls after all. (I've seen balls having as high as a 5.0 spin factor. Luckily, about a year ago I fulfilled some offers that earned me 9,060  credits. Looks as if I'll have to redeem them for some wedges compatible to my Level 91. 

As mentioned before, my main goal is wanting my ball to stop dead in it's tracks (or even backspin when needed). when going for the green. It's not real discernible, but in other applications I do think moving the "little dot" in the center of the golf ball to various positions does affect the amount of roll I get (even using my starter clubs). I guess for now I'll have to be happy with that until I buy some quality "pro wedges & balls".  Slim

• StevenTrump
    16 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2016 2:04 PM

hatcojack:

StevenTrump:

it is combination of club/ball. usually need 3 dots of spin on both to get good results.

I was using clubs with 3.2 spin and balls with 2.5 spin, and it wouldn't spin.

Then new wedge was 3.0 spin with 2.5 balls and it spun back.

No idea why though, im at a loss.

• StevenTrump
    16 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2016 2:16 PM

slimjym:

Thanks for the heads up Steven. I'm going to give up trying to achieve any "practical spin" while using my WGT starter clubs & unlimited balls. If I understand things correctly (& your comment above), workable spin (especially any degree of backspin on the green) is only achievable by having higher level wedges & balls. The higher level, more expensive equipment, the more spin that can be expected & achieved. 

I may have to invest in some top-notch wedges & max spin balls after all. (I've seen balls having as high as a 5.0 spin factor. Luckily, about a year ago I fulfilled some offers that earned me 9,060  credits. Looks as if I'll have to redeem them for some wedges compatible to my Level 91. 

As mentioned before, my main goal is wanting my ball to stop dead in it's tracks (or even backspin when needed). when going for the green. It's not real discernible, but in other applications I do think moving the "little dot" in the center of the golf ball to various positions doems affect the amount of roll I get (even using my starter clubs). I guess for now I'll have to be happy with that until I buy some quality "pro wedges & balls".  Slim

Im waiting till I get to level 74, I'm 65 now and I will buy the 3 Cleveland's that unlock, 1,500 each but supposed to be the best wedges in the game, I ditched my hybrid ages ago so I can have 3 wedges.

As for balls im using the Callaway lvl 33 balls, but may start getting Nikes soon, but again lots of credits.

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2016 2:25 PM

There is a weird thing that happens with the high level cleveland 64° wedge and that is if you apply full backspin with a high power shot, the ball will just stop dead, or screw back about a yard then stop. But if you apply about ¾ backspin the ball will backup many yards.

If the lower level clevelands use similar programming to the higher level ones, then they may be subject to the same weird results. Be worth trying a shot with ¾ backspin just to see what happens Steven.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Fri, Aug 19 2016 5:10 PM

ScottHope:

There is a weird thing that happens with the high level cleveland 64° wedge and that is if you apply full backspin with a high power shot, the ball will just stop dead, or screw back about a yard then stop. But if you apply about ¾ backspin the ball will backup many yards.

another great tip from Scott!

It may be something like a 'hydroplaning effect' , something like when you step on a gas pedal REAL HARD and the wheels spin so fast they don't go very far due to loss of traction.

At 3/4 the spin is great but still slow enough to bite the surface. If it's not that sort of programming, etc. then it's weird for sure.

• nogeria
    7 Posts
    Tue, May 14 2019 4:00 PM

my back spin ball moves freely up or down when I go to hit ball, what can I do to make it stay where  I put it?

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Tue, May 14 2019 6:59 PM

nogeria:

my back spin ball moves freely up or down when I go to hit ball, what can I do to make it stay where  I put it?

If you are playing PC with a mouse or trackball, my guess is you might be touching the mouse wheel or the ball when you go to click - which will change the last thing you clicked.  I have done it before !

• PAGES
RSS