Help › Forums

ball spin unobtainable???

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 14 2019 6:59 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • slimjym
    141 Posts
    Sat, Aug 6 2016 10:43 AM

I haven't played WGT for quite some time, but now see that when teeing off a window pops up showing  new criteria such as carry, roll, apex, spin, etc. I'm using a Valentine heart ball which lists it's spin as 2. When I hit my tee shots however I notice that spin remains zero & never shows a change. How do I obtain spin? (specifically backspin) This has been a dilemma I never been able to figure out. If anyone can explain  how to achieve ball spin, will I be able to visually see it when my ball comes down & strikes the ground? 

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sat, Aug 6 2016 3:06 PM

It depends on the club make/model as well as the ball.

With a driver, ball spin affects the trajectory, making it somewhat higher, and because of the higher trajectory roll-out is some what reduced.

However, if the ball lands on an up slope, that will also reduce roll-out and it will be difficult to see which reduces the roll-out the most, the ball backspin or the up slope. 

Put another way, with back spin and landing on an up slope roll-out reduction will be enhanced.

As far as tee shots made with an iron you'll see less effect with long irons than with short irons. Indeed, tee shots made with short irons the 

• mbcarp99
    1,078 Posts
    Sat, Aug 6 2016 3:13 PM

Before you play your shot you will see a dot in the centre of the large ball at the end of the meter, drag the dot down for backspin and up for topspin, the better the ball and clubs you use the more you will notice the spin,  i am sure someone in your CC will be able to explain in greater detail if you post in their forum

• StevenTrump
    16 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 8:50 AM

Hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread but I am having the same problem but just with backspin, I have asked my CC and they are scratching their heads as well.

Kindle fire I play on (saying this at it may be a problem with the game on Amazon)

Low level Cleveland wedges, 3.2 spin.

Nike balls, 3.5 spin

Nike Vapour level 52 irons and pitching wedge. 3 spin.

Had over 150 ranked rounds I have spun the ball back, 0 times.

Example hole.

#18, Brandon par 3, 100 yrds Cleveland, full backspin, red dot right at the bottom of the ball, Nike balls, hit it 100% hit the ding, lands between the bank and the hole, stops dead, no backspin at all.

It's confusing the hell out of me.

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Sun, Aug 14 2016 12:19 PM

Steven,

Thx for your response. Don't know if the following helps, but permit me to mention the following, along with some questions. I strictly use all generic starter clubs & generally the starter ball as well. (I'm too cheap to buy credits & invest in WGT equipment.). Lately though I've been trying to achieve backspin on my green shots. I'm pretty fair at always hitting the green, but then have constant problems with my balls rolling off the green onto the fringe & away from the flag stick.

I  recently started playing with balls that list spin rates of 2.5, 3.0, & 3.5, but haven't visually noticed any difference in my ball stopping sharply on the green, let alone achieving any kind of backspin. One question no one has answered in my previous post is: Do players ever visually see their ball backspin as when playing "instant reply", or as you do on TV? (I'd be happy if I could just get my balls to stop "dead in their tracks" on the majority of my green shots). 

It is my understanding that in order for me to get any kind of backspin, I need to invest a boatload of $$ to buy top virtual equipment & balls. At least that's what most WGT players say. I'm told that I can forget about achieving any backspin with my starter equipment. I guess I can understand this as WGT is a business with the goal to make money, & they want you to buy "credits".

I won't be buying any clubs though, but I may invest in some balls with a max spin rate (of 5.0 I believe), to see if I can achieve any results. One problem I did clear up though (which was my fault), was why I didn't see the % spin change from zero in the box when teeing off that shows ball carry, roll, % power, % spin, & apex. I embarrassingly found out that when I move the little red dot up or down in the golf ball in the lower right corner when teeing off, the % spin changes when teeing off. (Duh!)

Anyway, any comments, suggestions, pointers, or info would be appreciated. I'm still asking if backspin is able to be viewed visually & of course most importantly, how to achieve it to begin with. Maybe you can enlighten me? Thx Slimjym

• StevenTrump
    16 Posts
    Mon, Aug 15 2016 5:19 AM

As I am on the mobile app I get to play people a lot, I have visually seen balls spin back from their shots, but they are using better equipment, rather than the starter wedges and unlimited balls. I can't recall seeing anyone get backspin with starters, but they may not know how to move the red dot as well.

I havnt spent a cent on this game, as im on android I just watched tons of videos and got my credits that way.

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Mon, Aug 15 2016 8:20 AM

go out to YouTube and watch Young46 video on Short Game 1 & 2 he demonstrates some back spin shots

Siders Best

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Mon, Aug 15 2016 11:13 AM

SidersBest,

Really appreciate the advice you offered to check out the YouTube Young46 videos. They have already answered a boatload of annoying questions I've had for months..I wasn't aware of these specific tutorials, but they're a blessing. Thanks again. Am contacting Steven Trump & informing him of same, as he's also had very similar issues as I've had. Kudos once again. Gotta go & work on my spin now! Later

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Mon, Aug 15 2016 11:19 AM

Steven,

Got a reply to my original "unobtainable ball spin" question & was directed to YouTube & to checkout the Young46 videos for short game (parts 1 & 2). I viewed them & they seem to answer annoying questions I've had for months. I think if you check them out they will answer most all your questions as well as to how to achieve the spin that has eluded both of us for quite some time. Hope this advice helps. Later

• StevenTrump
    16 Posts
    Tue, Aug 16 2016 12:00 AM

It's not that I don't know how to do it so I can't, it's more that I know how the mechanics work, and I still can't do it lol

Only thing for it is to get better wedges, but 5.7 spin with clubs + balls should work fine.

• PAGES
RSS