Help › Forums

Draws and Fades

Sun, Nov 18 2018 8:20 PM (30 replies)
  • JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, Aug 23 2016 4:59 PM

Here is an 

example

Note wind. Stay on cam 1. Aimed way right and dinged way early in the dark blue. Yes, as mentioned you do lose some power, but beats the heck out of laying up or deliberately playing the rough in circumstances like this. 

#1 St Andrews is a good place to practice them. Just watch the burn. :^)

4,109 Posts
    Sun, Aug 28 2016 8:07 PM

YankeeJim:

Play Links golf if you think you know the physics of the game, then you're saying something. The ability to adjust swing plane, stance and ball position is paramount in playing that game as every game is an UEL game. It was as real as it gets because if you didn't know how to golf you couldn't game your way through it. Not so here.

The UEL game here is primitive and extremely unrealistic. A golfer doesn't master them, gamers do.

I was a big fan of Links.  Yes, they had the ability to change everything you had to to produce draws and fades, high low.  Want the ball to start left and cut to the right?  Open your stance and swing out to in with an open clubface.  There is no way a non golfer would know this.  Funny thing is they were doing this 15 years ago.

They even had a driving range...imagine that!  LOL

• MIBCTGOLF
    165 Posts
    Sun, Dec 4 2016 5:38 PM

so true  Yankee Jim  ,,Links 2003  was awesome and way more real ,,could open & close stance . play the ball up & back in stance  , so much better than here

• TomasBolanos
    999 Posts
    Mon, Dec 5 2016 4:21 PM

Yes, why is there no driving range or practice areas?  All there is are putting greens, blitzes for some short game practice and you can play a course in practice mode, but nothing really in the way of practice.  Also I find some of the short game shots very unrealistice.  I am a 4 handicap in real golf and it drives me crazy that I hit better shots in real life than in this game.

• jjjj035
    15 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2016 8:26 PM

I've been playing golf games since the late '80's, and Links is my favorite. One reason was the shot flexibility, as well as 40+ courses (Are you listening WGT?!) I see no reason why fade/draw could not be added to WGT - it is a huge omission.

Yes, WGT is the prettiest, as we would expect from advances in technology, but it was nothing like the quantum leap of the early '90's. It's a real pity that they shot themselves in the foot with the poor design of the tiers/points/coins/equipment nonsense.With such a great core game we could have hoped for better, I have stopped playing, but will check back if new courses come online.

• RobC
    9 Posts
    Sun, Feb 4 2018 4:54 PM

I enjoy this game but having the ability to make shots, i.e. fade or draw especially on the Olympic club but on many other holes to.

I think developing the game taking adding spin in the lateral direction will do it as this is the same as changing the spin (e.g Max spin clubs, though this could just be when it hits the ground and not in the air).

It may take considerable development of the existing algorithms but then the game may have to change.

At present the comment that it is for gamers is best but I do like the realistic feel to the game from the graphics.

Development may increase the number of golfers but then the cost may outweigh this.

• RobC
    9 Posts
    Sun, Feb 4 2018 5:17 PM

JimbeauC:

Here is an 

example

Note wind. Stay on cam 1. Aimed way right and dinged way early in the dark blue. Yes, as mentioned you do lose some power, but beats the heck out of laying up or deliberately playing the rough in circumstances like this. 

#1 St Andrews is a good place to practice them. Just watch the burn. :^)

This does work well but needs some practice.

I played the 14th at Olympic, as in the example (after some practice on Bethpage no 2 hole) and got round the corner 20 yds more than my 267 yd driver and had 90 yds in.

Great.

If you can ding closer to the middle you go further.

As I will say again you just need to practice it, if you want to shave a shot or two off your rounds without changing clubs.

• LEDzZzEPP
    501 Posts
    Sun, Feb 4 2018 6:07 PM

This game are played at EVEN lies in ranked mode, i first would suggest for change this (play UNEVEN) .... then we can ask for more ''realism''

Btw, read there ''Links was...'', IMO ''Links still be...''  :)

• TonyCherone
    37 Posts
    Sat, Nov 10 2018 2:55 PM

I've been playing this game for a few months now and am enjoying it a lot.  The inability to hit a fade and a draw on is clearly one of the few major weaknesses of this game.

And for all who are stating that missing the ding is how you create a fade and a draw in this game are mistaken.  Missing the ding creates a push and a pull in this game, not a fade/draw.  And the distance lost on those shots are also unrealistic compared to real fades/draws.

There a few tee shots in this game that are completely ridiculous since we can't hit a proper fade or draw.  

Besides that happy golfing!

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Mon, Nov 12 2018 7:48 AM

I purposely try to avoid dinging, even on putting, works for me, at least to my satisfaction.

RSS