Forums

Help › Forums

Playing UEL's

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jul 30 2016 3:27 AM (2 replies)
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2016 4:55 PM

I decided a few weeks ago to improve my game by committing myself to become a decent UEL player.  I might have improved a little bit but I'm not even close to being "decent".

As an example:  My CC had an Unlimited UEL tournament on the front 9 of Chambers Bay this week.  I have now played it between 40 and 50 starts.  The leader's score 30, my best effort a one over 37.  How sick is that?

If there are any players out there who consider themselves good at them, please let me know what technique got you over the hurdle. (Not practice, I've done that)

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, Jul 29 2016 9:47 PM

gerryniswonger:
    If there are any players out there who consider themselves good at them

Well. I wouldn't say I'm good at unevens. I do score a few credits each week, but seldom near the top. 

I've never shared this outside of CC Forums. Some have told me that it was a help. 

Hi Ho. 

-----------------------

How I play uneven lies. (Consider this a primer.)

On the tee.

In even lies just hitting the fairway is good enough. In unevens finding the flattest part of the fairway is the way to go. I've played enough unevens that I don't have to do this, but using the fairway cameras to scope out the landing area can be beneficial. A good example is #18 StA. On the right you have the hills and dales, but on the left is the FLAT fairway of #1. Yes, you have a longer approach, but you also have a much flatter lie.

From the fairway - approaches.

How much to allow for left/right - I try to match the angle as indicated in the lower right lie indicator. This tends to be fairly constant. Regardless of lie expect to lose some power. I generally add 4-5 yards to the calculation. Even with a black lie, I'll add a couple. Look at your target. Is that a sucker pin - hard to hit? Go for the middle of the green and two putt for par. Drop a long one and rejoice or settle for a well deserved par.

Oops - missed the green.

Still try to dupe the angle, but now the side dots are important. Usually front to back. 2 seconds -Double the distance. 4 Seconds -1.5. 8 Seconds - 1.25. This is a fairly straight progression so niggle other timings. I've holed out a few of these - truly gratifying in unevens. 

Red lies around the green:

Just get the ball on and do no worse than bogey is a fine outcome.

-----------------

Just my take on it. Works pretty well. Just following the KISS principle. 

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sat, Jul 30 2016 3:27 AM

gerryniswonger:

I decided a few weeks ago to improve my game by committing myself to become a decent UEL player.  I might have improved a little bit but I'm not even close to being "decent".

As an example:  My CC had an Unlimited UEL tournament on the front 9 of Chambers Bay this week.  I have now played it between 40 and 50 starts.  The leader's score 30, my best effort a one over 37.  How sick is that?

If there are any players out there who consider themselves good at them, please let me know what technique got you over the hurdle. (Not practice, I've done that)

I made a UEL tutorial, perhaps you have seen it b4 or just check it out here >>>

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/148036.aspx

...the main thing is to avoid steep lies......no matter where you ball lies in the course ; )))

and indeed, the best UEL players are the ones that have mastered the short game.

Eric

RSS