Help › Forums

Tiger and Paddy again?

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 17 2009 5:06 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • mrboo
    211 Posts
    Sat, Aug 15 2009 3:29 PM

What a great match up this has turned in to. A new rivalry in the making. Just wondering...Who thinks Tiger will put on the championship red and defeat Paddy? And who beleives Paddy will overcome the pressure of playing with the G.O.A.T.? Or will someone else come from behind to surprise us all? Just for fun, let us know what you think will happen on Sunday in the PGA Championship. Thanks all....good day! Oh and....GO PADDY!

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Sat, Aug 15 2009 3:37 PM

Huh, well as I was writing this Paddy bogied 18 and now Tiger will be playing with Yeng as I understand it, bummer.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Aug 15 2009 5:28 PM

Again... for those who missed it.. Tiger has never lost a major when leading after 54 holes.  Tiger has never won a major when NOT leading after 54 holes... perhaps tomorrow is the day.

Remember last week when Tiger and Paddy went head to head.. it took a rules official to knock Paddy out of the match, not Tiger.  Even Tiger called out the official for being an ass.

If anyone can beat Tiger tomorrow, it's the Leprechaun.

And, you can not compare eras, you can say Tiger is the best golfer today, but you can not say he is the GOAT.  There will never be a consensus on the GOAT.

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Sat, Aug 15 2009 5:59 PM

I suppose you're right there snaike, with the equipment and course changes and all. It's not like boxing...it's an ever changing game. I just don't see Sam Snead reaching a 625yrd (or whatever it is) Par 5 in two with a wooden club. I figure he's a gotta lose one eventually though, and I think Padraig as the defending champ from last year definately has it in him. We'll just have to wait and see. Who are you cheering for Snaike? I have mucho' respect for Tiger, don't get me wrong...but I really like Padraig, great personality, and professionalism, very determined player. So I'm going with him this time. Especially after last week's unfortunate cirumstances. Tiger's won plenty, and has plenty more to come =) Thanks for the reply

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Aug 15 2009 6:29 PM

Actually, Mr. Boo (Weekly??), I am cheering for a good match.  I would like to see the best player on Sunday win, whether it's Eldrick, Padraig, Y.A., etc... Would like to see Harrington win to make up for the crap he had to put up with last week, but good golf is good golf. 

As for the GOAT.. how do you think Tiger would have done against Old Tom Morris with those clubs?  Or even with the clubs Hogan and Snead had to use.  Tiger is good, but Tiger is as good as today's technology allows him to be.  This is why you can't compare eras.  He may very well being the winningest player ever and the best of our time.. but not the GOAT.

Interesting note, for those who get to watch tomorrow.. if the Leprechaun is on his game, watch his eyes... he doesn't blink.

• TW1432
    130 Posts
    Sat, Aug 15 2009 6:55 PM

Snaike:
    Tiger is good, but Tiger is as good as today's technology allows him to be.

Newsflash Snaike Tiger was good before they came out with all of this technology!

And by the way TIGER WILL WIN AGAIN!!!!!!!

HE WILL MAKE IT 3 IN A ROW!!!!!!!

He's lead every round so I would put my money on Tiger not Paddy. Or anyone else for that matter.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Aug 15 2009 10:08 PM

Wow, TW, you must really be a fan of Eldrick's.  Too bad you don't know jack about the history of golf.  You really need to read a little bit about the history of the game.  I seriously doubt that Eldrick could have won on the tour with the Mashies, Cleeks, and Jiggers.  As a matter of fact, the current set, as we know them came about in the early 1900's.... 75 years before Tiger was born.

But with today's technology, and I quote from this link:

Since the 1980s, computers have been used increasingly to design clubs and balls. Materials such as graphite shafts and titanium "metal woods" have come into widespread use in the last 20 years.

Since Eldrick was born in '75, I would stand by my statement that Eldrick is as good as today's technology allows him to be.  Someday,  tomorrow's technology will allow someone else to shatter his records, and the circle is complete.

Now, please, TW1432, do yourself a favor and read a little bit so you don't look so foolish next time.  Yes, Tiger is good.  That is not in dispute.  Yes, Tiger may win tomorrow.  That is not in dispute.  But then again, he may not...  Golf is a funny funny game.

And he is ~not~ the Greatest of all time.  Sorry.

• TW1432
    130 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 7:09 AM

Something you didn't know was Tiger turned pro in '96 and back then they didn't have these oversize drivers like they do now. The oversize driver didn't even come out untill 2002.

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 8:11 AM

Actually Mrboo is the name of my dog =) Taken from that of Boo Weekly, one of my favorites. I'm definately what they call a "boo bird."

Another thing about Paddy you might notice other than he doesn't blink. Remember when Jim Carrey played Fire Marshall Bill on In Living Color? He's got that same tucked upper lip after every shot hahah Good thing he has a nice grill!

Wouldn't it be something to see, if we could put the likes of Hogan, Snead, Jack, Arnie, Faldo, Woods and others in the same era. But as it is, in the end, we can only speculate and imagine what and who might have been.

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 8:18 AM

Oh and...Well spoken in the previous, previous, post there Snaike. A good match is what I truly want as well. Win, lose or, well not draw I guess. But a good playoff would be very fun no matter who it contains.

• PAGES
RSS