Forums

Help › Forums

What do you guys think of Pinehurst?

Fri, Dec 9 2016 3:14 AM (29 replies)
  • SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Thu, Jun 30 2016 5:19 AM

I like Pinehurst just fine !  Its a tough course that requires good shot placement and overall course management.  If you want to improve your overall WGT game, learn to play Pinehurst and you will see the improvement in your game.

• MattK1917
    48 Posts
    Sun, Jul 3 2016 8:01 AM

I have a real problem with this course if we are playing on tournament or championship greens.  Ball placement then becomes essential.  That course and Chambers Bay eat me alive.  

• Dserfgtrss
    21 Posts
    Mon, Jul 4 2016 1:33 PM

I am with MattK1917 on this.  I can't figure out most of the par 3(s) at Chambers and its so looooonnnnngggggg.  :(  

4,109 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 8:27 PM

Pinehurst's defense are it's greens.  It's a trademark of the great Donald Ross, the famous architect.  Just watch a US Open played there and you'll see.  By taking dead aim at the flagsticks, you are taking the bait, don't be a sucker.  Take notes and learn where you can and can't be and you'll do fine.

• PTrenter
    433 Posts
    Tue, Jul 12 2016 1:47 AM

A lot of greens are upturned saucers so accepting a centre green longer putt is sometimes better than risking the agonising slow roll off green altogether.

My only niggle is the 2 long par 4s(#4 and #16?) that are on the cusp of being reachable in 2 dependant on wind.

Overall I'm a fan though.

• rcw1126
    3 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2016 10:11 PM

Having played actual golf on it a couple of times, I find the virtual course here exactly like the one I played in reality. As another said earlier, if you shoot for the pins here, you do so at your own risk...and had better be pretty good at getting up and down in two from the fringes.

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Tue, Jul 19 2016 7:18 AM

I'm learning to like Pinehurst. It's taken some time. And I agree with what everyone has said about being patient on the course. With patience, and a little luck along the way, a person can post a good score. In fact, I shot a 29 on the front 9 the other day, from the back tees. For me, that's a really good score. My previous best had been a 31. 

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Tue, Jul 19 2016 3:28 PM

The trick for me is to NOT use spin.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Tue, Jul 19 2016 5:20 PM

That's very good advice on Pinehurst. I do use some, depending on the shot, but very conservatively.

oneeyedjohn:

The trick for me is to NOT use spin.

RSS