Forums

Help › Forums

Birdie strategy for #4 & #9 on Kiawah island !!

rated by 0 users
Tue, Aug 18 2009 7:42 PM (9 replies)
  • sumitkaushal
    32 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 4:44 PM

Requesting all The great  WGT golfers ... would any of you be intresting in sharing some tips.. :))

Thanks

• thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 5:45 PM

On Number #4  Aim left on the approach and make a 25 footer.

On Number#9  Upgrade Drivers and hit a shorter club in.

• sumitkaushal
    32 Posts
    Fri, Aug 14 2009 2:58 PM

Thanks Mr Thunder.. u rock..

Will try that.. but makin these long putts on these tricky greens is a challenge.. hopefully will get luck one day..

Thanks again...

• sealseal
    67 Posts
    Sat, Aug 15 2009 8:27 AM

Thanks for the tips thunder.

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Sun, Aug 16 2009 10:16 AM

thunderbird:

On Number #4  Aim left on the approach and make a 25 footer.

On Number#9  Upgrade Drivers and hit a shorter club in.

dang that was helpful.

i have new clubs.  anyone have any tips for a birdie on #9.  i'm having trouble getting it on the green  and inside 20 feet.

• seanobrien
    296 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 6:03 AM

Try a punch shot. Ball goes in low and runs. I have been trying this lately and it works most of the time assuming you hit the shot/ pick a club very close to the distance.

This will give you a birdie chance. What you do with it is up to you

• thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 7:08 AM

To get it close on nine you have to land it in the fringe and get a lucky bounce forward.  I have learned the chip from the back of the green and chip in one in five times.  I think most of the other top players are in the same boat. 

The real trick to scoring low is learning the break on the greens and having good speed.  Read Nivlac putting guide and make a chart that help you be consistent that shows the percent for how hard you need to hit it.  I use a chart that has 12.5% 25% 37.5% 50% 62.5% 75% 87.5% and Full.  This has helped know my putt distances.  3, 7, 11, 15, 19, 23, 27 for the 30ft.

Fixed it from AvatarLee to Nivlac.  Sorry Nivlac.

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 7:21 AM

thunderbird:

Read AvatarLee putting guide and make a chart that help you be consistent that shows the percent for how hard you need to hit it.  

Oops t-bird that's Nivlac's guide!  I wouldn't want to take the credit for his hard work!

And btw here it is..... Distance Control

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 7:54 AM

Not much you can do to get help on those holes. I been playing them for a year and probably 1000 rounds there.

You can only hope for 2 things. 1 get very close (160 is closest u can get with perfect drive on #4, then use your longest irons (once that fly highest./have most spin) abnd attept to get close.

I seen some inside 15ft that stayed.

By far the closest shot is comign from the left with left to right wind. You start it left maybe 30ft and it draws right, goes over the bump near the bunker and releases to the hole. In  a 1000 rounds, I maybe had 15 of them at most. Good thing is, reading #4 is relativly easy now. I am rarely outside 2ft on any putt, making it in a different question:)

#9 is harder than #4 (overall but sometimes it plays easiesr. especially if downwind situation)

If you can be inside 150, and then hitting 7 iron u can get great spin and land inside 10ft fairly regularly. If you are a mere mortal, than even with best wind you will have 170-190 short, which means you have almost no chance to actually have it stop near and have any spin (it plays counterproductive because if you apply spin, it will never go by the front bump). In the end, you have to decide what you prefer more on that hole a 9-13 year chip or a 20-50ft putt.

I have only seen 1 eagle on #9 and never anything on #4, however I birdie #4 probably 2:1 ratio of #9

#10 and #18 look like 6 year old girls selling mints compare to those 2 :)

• ChesterMcGanahan
    17 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 7:42 PM

The way I play #4 is, don't try to fly it to the green and stop it. Have had the best chance by hitting a 4 or 5 iron, slight backspin, and let it bounce once or twice before it reaches the green about 5 yds left of the bunker. Aim so you land 5-10 yds left of the bunker. If the shot slows down enough, it will roll over the ridge on the green and feed back down right towards the hole.

RSS