Help › Forums

Subjective Results.

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jul 23 2016 9:40 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • mrshazam
    126 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2016 10:03 AM

I was fortunate to retire at the age of 49 as a Business owner. I do believe I was successful because I stood behind the product I sold and addressed any and all issues with concern when a Customer was not satisfied.

Now, I will admit I take this game a little more serious than I should. But if you love the game of golf for real or virtual, it is a curse you live with.  As such I often question the subjective results of my shots played here. The importance of such is more than visible when you spend for better balls, equipment upgrades and such.

Allowed the forum to question, Seldom would I get a reply. When I did, often the reply would one be one of patronage, or outright dismissal.

So long ago I pledged to limit my investment of a game that is can be fraudulent. Though I still love to submit a dagger in the back often and not expect an answer.

As such, I would like to see if anybody would care to response to this inquiry? You are playing number 16 at Bathgate.  You are a foot and a half about that tricky down hill putt. You putt and miss. You miss by by coming up short? Key word, SHORT. Not right or left, SHORT. What would you say the odds on that happening?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2016 10:15 AM

mrshazam:
    number 16 at Bathgate.

Do you mean Bethpage? And maybe #15 since #16 is pretty straightforward without tricky putts from anywhere? Regardless, you came up short because you didn't hit it hard enough. What other possible explanation could there be?

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2016 11:21 AM

mrshazam:
    You are a foot and a half about that tricky down hill putt. You putt and miss. You miss by by coming up short? Key word, SHORT. Not right or left, SHORT. What would you say the odds on that happening?

No replay.

No indication of green speed.

No indication of wind direction.

Since you are a Tour Master, were they Tournament speed greens?  Not Champ greens since it is very difficult on Champ to stop 18" above the hole on BP 15.

Its very possible you were too worried about rolling past the pin 8 or 10 feet?  (Especially with a 33% one-putt stat.)  So you just breathed on the putt and left it short.

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2016 11:32 AM

YankeeJim:

mrshazam:
    number 16 at Bathgate.

Do you mean Bethpage? And maybe #15 since #16 is pretty straightforward without tricky putts from anywhere? Regardless, you came up short because you didn't hit it hard enough. What other possible explanation could there be?

Howzit all

I've had the privilege of playing with YJ in an alt shot and my shot also went awry on that very same hole.

When I posted "WTF" in the chat, he calmly reminded me that I should have used back spin with a following wind, to hold the ball up for longer. Ok, he never actually said that, he asked me what I think I should have done. I pondered it for a bit and realised what he meant.

Simple solution folks: Learn from the pro's, they're willing to share their knowledge.

Always grateful to YJ for that lesson. Actually 2 lessons, 2nd one being that you need to understand where you went wrong instead of railing on about WGT cheating you out of a shot.

Cheers,

Peter

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2016 11:37 AM

Have to agree with the above comments.  

Accidentally changing the meter setting can also happen.  Easy to forget for anyone.

Your putter is pretty good but better ones exist for balance / precision.  It's vaguely possible that had an effect, especially if trying to roll it in dead weight last drunk movement.

Putting here is an art as IRL that way, but it's a very usually fair art that can be perfected more than IRL truth be told.  

See forums on balance / precision / speed calcs / as above if not done so.  

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2016 12:29 PM

Must have had a good secretary is all i can say.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2016 12:46 PM

Yeah, that is some weird English there.

• Nicole161106
    281 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2016 6:04 AM

Saw Bathgate and it brought back memories from 1990.

My only ever HIO came in a matchplay at Bathgate, (West Lothian, Scotland) i was 1 up on the 17th, hit my tee shot, which I knew hit the green but couldn't see where as the sun was in my eyes.

A young fellow who was waiting to tee off on the 9th came over and shook hands and said well done nice HIO, it was a teenage Stephen Gallacher.

• Kepone18
    196 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2016 7:10 AM

Nicole161106:

Saw Bathgate and it brought back memories from 1990.

My only ever HIO came in a matchplay at Bathgate, (West Lothian, Scotland) i was 1 up on the 17th, hit my tee shot, which I knew hit the green but couldn't see where as the sun was in my eyes.

A young fellow who was waiting to tee off on the 9th came over and shook hands and said well done nice HIO, it was a teenage Stephen Gallacher.

Cool story !!!

I have always wondered why he has never won more on the European tour. Great ball striker.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Wed, Jun 1 2016 7:41 AM

mrshazam:

I was fortunate to retire at the age of 49 as a Business owner. I do believe I was successful because I stood behind the product I sold and addressed any and all issues with concern when a Customer was not satisfied.

Now, I will admit I take this game a little more serious than I should. But if you love the game of golf for real or virtual, it is a curse you live with.  As such I often question the subjective results of my shots played here. The importance of such is more than visible when you spend for better balls, equipment upgrades and such.

Allowed the forum to question, Seldom would I get a reply. When I did, often the reply would one be one of patronage, or outright dismissal.

So long ago I pledged to limit my investment of a game that is can be fraudulent. Though I still love to submit a dagger in the back often and not expect an answer.

As such, I would like to see if anybody would care to response to this inquiry? You are playing number 16 at Bathgate.  You are a foot and a half about that tricky down hill putt. You putt and miss. You miss by by coming up short? Key word, SHORT. Not right or left, SHORT. What would you say the odds on that happening?

On Beth 15 you have to aim harder than many think, if it is 10 and 2 up, try moving it to the end of the cup , likely 11 and 3 up there.

rookie mistake to end up short on any putt, always go long.

If you really want to improve your game, get the lvl 90 irons, those will take of 2 strokes pr 9 holes, they are miles better than your old lvl 40 something pings.

• PAGES
RSS