Forums

Help › Forums

kat

Sun, May 8 2016 11:35 AM (5 replies)
  • reddevil16
    273 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 6:31 AM

Why does wgt mess with Kat's calculator !!! I always thought this was a legitamate aid

the same as Bilko's

Red

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 7:49 AM

How do they mess with it.   I have it but am just too lazy to keep dialing it in (Kat's calc that is).    Haven't seen WGT mess with it at all.   They change wind effect and green speeds a touch I believe, but it keeps things interesting  to me at least.

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 7:57 AM

WGT has nothing to do with Kat's Calculator but their (daily?) minor tweaks on "environmental factors" will require that you make adjustments: specifically to account for wind changes in both direction and velocity.

Pick a practice hole, enter the requested variables, ding the shot,  make corrections, use the Mulligan feature, and repeat until the ball goes where it should - then play your match.

FYI, I have seen changes in crosswind offsets of as much as .3 foot per MPH of wind and 15% addition/subtractions on head and tail winds.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 8:08 AM

Wheels65:
    Pick a practice hole, enter the requested variables, ding the shot,  make corrections, use the Mulligan feature, and repeat until the ball goes where it should - then play your match.

The only problem there is that practice rounds don't play the same as scored rounds. You're better off using that strategy in the unlimited tournaments each week. You don't get the mulligans but you do get realistic game conditions.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Wed, May 4 2016 10:14 AM

YankeeJim:
    you're better off using that strategy in the unlimited tournaments each week. You don't get the mulligans but you do get realistic game conditions.

Were the loss of mulligans pays off is you end up using that hit on the ball in the opposite direction getting an additional data point with the opposite wind of the first shot.

In my experience, practice rounds weren't too far off from ranked round results as long as I didn't use the "low wind" settings.   But still,  if I'm going to be charged extra hits on the ball for using mulligans, I might as well get something out of the extra hit.  :)

• Wheels65
    744 Posts
    Sun, May 8 2016 11:35 AM

Like the previous poster, I find that practice rounds - set up with the same tees, wind velocity and green speeds - are pretty darned close to tournament rounds.  If I do my part, setting the variables correctly and dinging the shot, I find the Calculator gives darned accurate advice.
    I doubt that even Kat ever found the perfect settings to give her exact offset/power figures every time. 
    One thing is definitely true, using Kat's Calculator keeps me from running out of time in 30 second games!

RSS