Forums

Help › Forums

Upgrade to New Putter

Mon, Jun 27 2016 12:54 PM (8 replies)
  • billh021
    7 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 4:36 PM

Hello Everyone,

Last night I played first round with new Odessy Versa putter (Spent $17.95) . My putting performance went WAY down.  From 1.88 putts p/hole to well over 3!!!   29 putts. Is this what happens to most players with a new putter? I couldn't reach the hole, even on short 4 and 5 footers.  It was as if the meter distances didn't mean anything. 

12 feet on meter bar, was now 16 ft or something.  30 feet was really 45 ft. Then with the slower ball speed, all the brakes changed from what I was use to.   If was like the putter and ball had velcro surfaces.

Has this happened to anyone else.  Did I do something wrong?

Please HELP!!!  Thank you.

billh021

• lonniescott711
    4,182 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 6:07 PM

billh021:

Hello Everyone,

Last night I played first round with new Odessy Versa putter (Spent $17.95) . My putting performance went WAY down.  From 1.88 putts p/hole to well over 3!!!   29 putts. Is this what happens to most players with a new putter? I couldn't reach the hole, even on short 4 and 5 footers.  It was as if the meter distances didn't mean anything. 

12 feet on meter bar, was now 16 ft or something.  30 feet was really 45 ft. Then with the slower ball speed, all the brakes changed from what I was use to.   If was like the putter and ball had velcro surfaces.

Has this happened to anyone else.  Did I do something wrong?

Please HELP!!!  Thank you.

billh021

Sounds like you were putting on slow greens .When you buy any new clubs go play a few practice rounds until you get the feel down . I have only had 2 Versa putters L70 & 96+ and both are excellent putters . So go practice and learn your new putter .Play Bethpage because the greens are very flat and they dont have a lot of heavy breaks . Hope this helps and good luck with your game .

• billh021
    7 Posts
    Sun, Jun 19 2016 3:20 PM

Thank you Lonnie. Good advice.

Billh021

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, Jun 19 2016 10:18 PM

Bill,

That level 70 Versa you bought is probably the best putter you can buy on WGT. I've been using it for months, and it's by far the oldest club in my bag.

As was advised, take some time to practice with it, and learn the meter. It may have different markings than what you were used to.

Once you get it dialed in, it will be your best friend.

• MrQueez
    559 Posts
    Mon, Jun 20 2016 12:10 AM

Bill +1 on the L70 Versa.  It was the 1st putter and last putter in my bag.  Very good advice from the gents above.  Practice and learn the meter.  It will serve you well and you will never need to upgrade IMO.

• SwingingRoofer
    456 Posts
    Mon, Jun 20 2016 7:18 AM

+2 i use to use the ghost level 36 putter upgraded to level 96 versa it was few games getting use to but my putting has improved alot since one of m best purchases by far ill never change again unless its higher level same putter

• ct690911
    7,194 Posts
    Tue, Jun 21 2016 6:19 PM

I fully agree about the Versa...I only wish I had struck gold like MrQueez, ("It was the1st putter and last putter in my bag")...I tried almost every putter in the pro shop before I finally settled on the level 70 Versa...hell of an expensive way to find a putter...lol

I won't say it's a miracle club as there is no such thing. Just ask the folks wielding the 400K gold putter. I still miss lots of putts, but I am leaving much friendlier comebackers. Stay with it...you picked the right putter.

ct

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Fri, Jun 24 2016 12:52 PM

billh021:
    Did I do something wrong?

May be unrelated.

I'm not familiar with that putter. I've heard that some putters lose distance on off ding putts, and are a headache for those that use that method of controlling break. Some putters suffer from "the shorts" and need a bit more kick. I know the one I use has this fault. If that's the case the already mentioned practice should do the trick. 

It's also fairly important to clear cache whenever an equipment change is made. 

Good Luck.

• TracyMax
    2,361 Posts
    Mon, Jun 27 2016 12:54 PM

I used the Spyder and the Nike Method, both are good putters but I recently purchased the Max putter lvl 80(?) and find it has helped my putting a lot. [ NOT ENOUGH BUT A LOT]

RSS