Forums

Help › Forums

Pebble Beach Front 9 not nice!

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 8 2016 9:20 PM (26 replies)
  • taf48ny
    3 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 9:14 AM

I have played this course over and over, and can not seem to play hole 8 with less than an 10! doesn't matter how I try to place the ball it almost always goes out of bounds! There is no easy way to void the cliff. This doesn't seem fair?

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 10:23 AM

Depending on tee placement it can be had by two different ideas. From the short tees with a 275+ driver in hand and a good ball. The far fairway can be reached. For most set-ups however, the ball should be hit full power, well aimed just left of the cliff entry and simply biting the bullet into usually 40-50 rough which is then played with lots of extra club, punched toward the green. You may land on the green but most times you will be left with a shot short leaving 30-40 yards or on the fringe...shots that can be handled in two for the par or at worse, a 5. Take notice that remaining putts below the hole are much slower than what you read. Good luck Taf

~ Lily ~ 

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 10:36 AM

From the tips I tee off with 3 wood and stay in the fairway...usually have 170-ish to the pin

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 11:10 AM

MBaggese:

From the tips I tee off with 3 wood and stay in the fairway...usually have 170-ish to the pin

I'm a wimp and use a 3 iron off the tee from the tips which usually leaves me with 3i - 5i approach.

Lost a ball using my driver and lost another ball using my 3w, so now I use my 3i. I don't like losing my balls :-))

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 11:29 AM

ColumbusStorm:
    Lost a ball using my driver and lost another ball using my 3w, so now I use my 3i. I don't like losing my balls :-))

The tees the OP is playing from make it worse. IIRC, they play from the white tees and it's only about 228 to the end of the fairway. Thinking the OP needs to learn it's OK not to hit a driver off the tee.  :-)

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 11:38 AM

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 12:39 PM

YankeeJim:
    from the white tees and it's only about 228 to the end of the fairway. Thinking the OP needs to learn it's OK not to hit a driver off the tee.  :-)

Definitely and even knowing the yardage to the end of the fairway is deceiving. Hitting up to an elevated fairway and then the fairway is slightly downhill causes a lot of roll. So I play safe, well back from the lost ball drop off.

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 12:52 PM

MBaggese:

Same here.

But if I have a head wind, I'll use my driver at about 90%. My typical approach is the same as yours... about 170-175 yards. While that's a fairly long approach, the green tends to hold shots rather well, if playing a decent ball. I would say that I par it on a fairly regular basis. And every once in a while (about 10 to 15% of the time), I happen to get it close and manage a birdie.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 1:07 PM

The op is using starter clubs and balls.   Play a practice round and swing away until you figure out what club to get close to the end. Heck even if it's a 7 iron.  I play 3wd down to a 5 iron depending on the wind.  Might be a longer approach but it's not a lost ball.  :)

• MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Tue, Apr 19 2016 2:25 PM

My problem with 8 is the hole location. 

Few weeks back I was GIR then pulled an Els for a quad

RSS