Advice: First purchases

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 3 2016 12:29 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • joshcore
    27 Posts
    Sat, Apr 2 2016 4:44 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm currently lvl 37, approaching lvl 40 quick and narrowing down on tour pro tier.

I have been reading the forums and there seems to be a lot of debate regarding when to purchase your first driver, irons and putter.

I'm pretty good with hitting the meter at the right time, so maybe clubs that focus less on forgiveness (I think forgiveness is the term) and more on distance, spin, precision. obviously meter speed is important as well. 

I have about 5k worth of credits, but I'm doing surveys and videos everyday so I could probably have 8k credits in the next week or so.

Thoughts?

• stevie1026
    222 Posts
    Sat, Apr 2 2016 7:57 AM

many responses coming your way, and many options.....i personally suggest the L39 Taylor Made 56,60. +64 degree wedges. Try to live with your irons if credits a issue until the L59 pings, they are game changers. At level 46 there is a good driver Taylor Made with "alida" or something shaft. Back to wedges, IMO they are must have, the 64 will be your best friend....lose the hybrid if you have 1 to carry the 3 wedges.....good luck....stevie1026

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Apr 3 2016 12:02 AM

stevie1026:
    Back to wedges, IMO they are must have, the 64 will be your best friend.

+1, with a wee correction to the sequence. To me, it's 64° + 60°, the 56° being optional until better irons are available. Otherwise, you have concurring shot lengths.

And, it's quite steep to wait until 88,515 XPs of L59. Some intermediate upgrade might add to the fun. A budget solution might come from a 3WD instead - unexpensive and versatile.

• joshcore
    27 Posts
    Sun, Apr 3 2016 5:11 AM

Which clubs though?

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Sun, Apr 3 2016 7:22 AM

In order:

Driver

Wedges

Irons

Putter

FW Wood

• DaveDwingdale
    1,240 Posts
    Sun, Apr 3 2016 10:36 AM

Well... I think you should have bought the R11 complete set at level 32, and it's still not a bad idea. (I have that set and still break it out when I want a bit more of a challenge than top level clubs provide.)  The driver, 3wd, and irons will easily take you to level 59 (and beyond) when the high loft irons become available.  (Sell the hybrid; it's not needed at this point.)

Get the taylormade wedges when you hit level 39. Personally would go with 64, 60 and 54 degree.  

Biggest difference in putter at lower levels is that you get one extra (short range) meter distance.  In other words, might want to wait on that until you feel the need for something to finesse those shorter putts with. 

Checked out your profile page, looks like you've been hooked.  Welcome to the frustration of WGT.

Dave

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sun, Apr 3 2016 10:52 AM

Don't worry about buying any wedges. I've got that covered when you reach the proper level for the level 38 and 39 ATV's .

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Apr 3 2016 3:35 PM

MichaelStroke:

In order:

Driver

Wedges

Irons

Putter

FW Wood

This is on it.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Apr 3 2016 10:37 PM

Sorry to disagree:

Always Wedges first!

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2016 7:15 PM

alosso:

Sorry to disagree:

Always Wedges first!

True but he can buy other things because I have the wedges covered. Just waiting for him to reach level 39 so I can gift him the 3 level 38 and 39 ATV's.(edit) he hit level 38 today and rented the 56 degree ATV so I went ahead and gifted that to him. I wish he would have waited and saved him the cost of the rental unless it was a free level up rental.

• PAGES
RSS