Forums

Help › Forums

La Antiquedad

rated by 0 users
Sat, Apr 2 2016 8:35 PM (20 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Mar 12 2016 3:13 PM

It was so pretty outside today, I got a bit jonesy to get some Sun and fresh warm air and to work on my black widow infested putting stroke. On the way to the CC, I stopped by the cigar wizard to grab a stogie stick to help my release. Ironically, I bumped into a new release from the magical  cigar maker, My Father. They are known for excellence. The new gar is named La Antiquedad. This beauty is box-pressed and reminds me of  Flor de las Antillas, another of their fine line and once a Cuban brand only. It is a Cuban seed masterpiece. The wrapper is a reddish hued Ecuadorian habano rosado oscuro  that blankets a double Nicaraguan binder; one criollo, the other corojo. Inside is a collection of Nicaraguan tobaccos from three prominent growing regions. All aged a min. of 3 1/2  years. The tobaccos produce, to me, a very complex, yet smooth med. to full bodied profile and seems to yield notes of cocoa, coffee, leather, and perhaps a smidge of pepper. I really loved it. Superb! 

My putting was very smooth also. With the shock of nailing the sweet, sweet spot with hints of the yips at 4 1/2 feet. The Sun felt terrific to be in and the air very sweet to breathe. I really enjoyed all of it...every minute. I appreciated with glee the new cigar entry from My Father, most delectable indeed.

~ Lily ~

• opyeuclid
    6,704 Posts
    Sat, Mar 12 2016 3:44 PM

I my self do not smoke them , but I do smoke . So in my own way I understood and enjoyed .  Its kind of like a fine wine or a or the smell of Christmas . Each one has its own way to let you enjoy the day . Or take you back to a special time in your life .

Thank you Lily   

OPY 

PS ,   Nice to see you    

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Sat, Mar 12 2016 4:58 PM

I know nothing about cigars or pipes...used to smoke cigarettes, but they are taxed to death (excuse the pun) in Canada, so I gave them up.

That said, while I am certain Lily's experience with "La Antiguedad" (translated to antiquity) was as she described it...this puppy must be the holy grail for Cigar aficionados:

The Gurkha Black Dragon:

"The Black Dragon contains an international mix of tobaccos beneath its rich leafy shell. At $115,000 a box or $1,150 per cigar, Gurkha’s The Black Dragon cigars are both absurdly expensive and prestigious."

...oi vey

Edit:  I came to learn these cigars are the rare first edition. Later editions are much less expensive.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sat, Mar 12 2016 7:58 PM

Thanks ct. It is a bit strange to me because I have heard about this "Black Dragon" and find the whole bit amazing. While I know that "Gurkha" offers cigars from cheaper to mid price range, I see them almost only offered by Thompson Cigars, a mail order outfit in Florida, in business for 100 years this year. They offer the Gurkha in many sizes and wrapper colors and are very affordable by anyone. They are noted for extremely unusual cigar boxes and many are sold solely for the box. On the other hand, there is another mail order operation named Famous Cigars, around since the 1920's, in Easton PA and they carry no Gurkkha products. Also, I don't remember ever seeing any Gurkha cigars in the many cigar stores I have shopped in. I have smoked only one of them and it was fine but nothing to shout about. I never seek them out. And so I find it confusing to figure this scene out. Something smells funny to me. You know, something around the house, so to speak.

~ Lily ~

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Sun, Mar 13 2016 12:09 AM
    Dunno...I googled world's most expensive cigars and numerous responses from "cigar experts"  place this Gurkha as the creme de la creme...at any rate, out of my price range...Interesting how cigar smoking is referred to as a "hobby"
    Gurkha-Black-Dragon-1150

This is the most expensive cigar on the market. The cigar is available at a size of 8.5 inches long and 52-inch ring size. The bone chests in which they come in are hand carved. They’re rarely available and can only be purchased at selected cigar shops worldwide.

"Don’t confuse the original, limited edition Black Dragon with Gurkha’s current Black Dragon line. The current line is nice, I’m sure, but the original edition cost $115,000 a box, or $1,150 per cigar."

"Gurkha Black Dragon – $1,150 The most expensive cigar of the list is the first production of Gurkha Black Dragon.  Only five hand carved camel bone chests of one hundred cigars. The cigar comes in one size, 8.5” by 52. One chest can be yours for $115,000."

• wizzkid32
    154 Posts
    Sun, Mar 13 2016 5:03 AM

ct690911:
    Only five hand carved camel bone chests of one hundred cigars. The cigar comes in one size, 8.5” by 52. One chest can be yours for $115,000."

A box of 100????  Variety is the spice of life.  This is too controlling/cult-like to me.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Mar 13 2016 10:25 AM

First, I must say "very cool" to Opy for changing back to one od your original oictures, The one showing is my fav. Now only if we can get andyson to revert to the "Newman Collection....Yes Wizz, my dear friend and fellow c club member, 100 of anything will make you dull...although 100 oz of gold has a nice, everlasting feel to it.  But Gurkha ? I'm reserved for a finer education on them. As it stands now I have yet to find even small pieces of legit justification for the price. 

At retail, the truly good cigar can be had for $10 usually. It gets better at the $15 to $20 range, I'm talkin' dern good stogies. From the $20 to $30 slot, you are playing pretty serious ball and would be aided to play there with a decent education. Cigars above $30 , need a pedigree, and a compelling true story or an idiot. There are some amazing cigar farmers that have generations of passed on expertise along with extremely creative, highly educated and devoted offspring with competative spirits that show. Companies with many years of properly aged and nurtured vintage leaves to slowly be used and depleted  with great care and love for an exotic purpose. It is much more complicated than just rolling a c-gar.

I started this thread only because the La Antiquedad is a new product from the fabulous maker My Father and that new product lines are rare, especially at My Father. I paid $10 for it, reduced because it is a new entry. It will retail at around $16, as a guess. I didn't post because I thought it was the best ever...just really good. 

~ Lily ~

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Sun, Mar 13 2016 11:02 AM

Lily, I read your story with interest. You have a compelling style of relating your tales that make them enjoyable to peruse. As is my wont, I responded simply to add a bit of humor or a twist...in this case, for Cigars smokers who covet, but will never afford, the very best. And, as you mentioned, what is the rationale behind the price?

I know people can easily google the most expensive "whatever" to read  "expert analysis" for the absurd prices. As a non-wine drinker, I cant fathom spending $1000 per glass, but that's also possible to do...million dollar watches or rings?...yup, it's on there.

You are correct, Lily. Spending huge sums of money doesn't necessarily equate to a better experience...the more interesting twist is why some people do it.?

ps...Cohiba has a $750 cigar, if a person is brand loyal...lol

• wizzkid32
    154 Posts
    Sun, Mar 13 2016 3:35 PM

SweetiePie:
    I paid $10 for it, reduced because it is a new entry.

I'm flying out to drive the cart while we partake in some My Father stogies...unless you want to drive then I'll fill a Dasani bottle with some clear stuff.  :-)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Mar 14 2016 11:42 AM

wizzkid32:

SweetiePie:
    I paid $10 for it, reduced because it is a new entry.

I'm flying out to drive the cart while we partake in some My Father stogies...unless you want to drive then I'll fill a Dasani bottle with some clear stuff.  :-)

Sounds like fun...even greater fun in another month as the weather here turns crystal....And may I repeat part of a post that seems to have been censored ( or whacked in Frisco) Cohiba was mentioned and I made clear what many don't know. Cohiba was invented/developed by Fidel Castro, in fact, he sent a box to JFK prior to the Bay of Piggies deal. I wonder if this will get spanked away by the minds up North ?

~ Lily ~

RSS