Help › Forums

World Stroke Play Rankings 3rd August 2009

rated by 0 users
Mon, Aug 17 2009 2:55 PM (24 replies)
  • TallAcePaul
    1,455 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2009 3:04 AM

Hello Again Everyone,

It is 2 weeks since my last update so todays figures include the last 2 Weekly Results and the July International Open. Very unfortunatley the International Monthly has been changed to a multiple play and will from now be excluded from these rankings.

There have been quite some changes in the last 2 weeks.

Avavtar Lee has taken over top spot from NASA. This is the first time NASA has been off the top since rankings began, just after his US Open win. Avatar Lee, I am sure most people will agree, is now  the best consistant player in the game. He is followed very closely by nivlac and Gitthe who are both proforming at the top level every week. Tibbets has been quite but I do not expect that to last for long.

The big movers this week are Taternater up 16, Ryan Anderson up 14, uwsublime up 13 and coolswing up 11. Special mention needs to made also of mwb5010 whose +7 rise takes him TOP 10.

We have a record high new entry the canadian Northern Star who with only 3 tournament results flies in at 17, quite a feat. Also mentions for the other new enteries bheffern, fezdog12 and BigHitter57.

Good luck this week all.

3rd August 2009

Position

Player Name

Change

▲1

nivlac

▲1

NASAgolfer

▼2

tibbets

gitthe

ncviz

Hightower3

▲1

BeachGolf

▼1

mwb5010

▲7

PortsD

▼1

SmoothSwinger

▼1

Bacs

▲6

coolswing

▲11

uwsublime

▲13

seniorbruno

▼4

JGates

▼4

NorthernStar

New Entry

Jarid

▼5

JALAII

▼3

TallAcePaul

▼6

thunderbird

▲8

SWBAKER

▼2

claremoreblue

▼2

Ryan.Anderson

▲14

hesomist

▲8

jeffdos924

▲9

DRWR

▼4

Keith35

▼11

RookSteak

▼7

mrboo

▼11

TaterNater

▲16

gmurf

▼4

craiger85

▼9

Aggie

▼8

dodgydon

▲8

GLADSTONESCREWER

▼1

baldwino

▼7

jhoop

▼7

dud_doodle

▲5

bheffern

New Entry

fezdog12

New Entry

slor

▼5

ucrazybs2

▼10

rdipolo

▼10

finsec168

▼7

CaptainCouples

▼6

RyanSelwyn

▼6

spinman

▼6

BigHitter57

New Entry

Syn7aX

▼6

These ranking figures are based on every 18 hole , single play, free to entry tounament this year to date.

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2009 4:07 PM

You should calculate this for Pro tier too. What you could do is give less points per tournament for pros to even out the balance of playing easier people.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2009 4:14 PM

Once again, you ignored more than 70% of the tournaments last month, so I'm not sure why you are wasting your time with this, as the results are rendered irrelevant due to such large omissions.  Now with the loss of the International Open, you will be basing these rankings on 4 weekly tournaments?  In case you noticed, the 18 hole weekly tournaments are only held at Kiawah.  No results from any tournament at Bethpage are being used.

There have been 71 stroke play tournaments this year.  You are using 22 of those for your ranking system.

I rest my case.  Irrelevant.

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2009 4:35 PM

I'm actually working on my own stroke play rankings that includes every tournament, including multiplay tourneys (as much as many WGT players don't like them). More points are given to tournaments with really good prizes, and vice versa. It may take a while, but hopefully soon you'll see a ranking system that doesn't have so many glaring holes.

• TaxAnalyst
    18 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2009 5:18 PM

Tibbets comment is completely off base.  These rankings accurately show what players can do on a SINGLE PLAY basis.  For those who still fail to grasp that concept, the single play format shows what talent a player has WHEN THE PRESSURE IS ON.  This is the true measure of skill...  not whether you can post a 58 given 100 tries at a course. 

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2009 6:12 PM

Tibbets has it exactly right. The single play tournaments are the best, but TallAcePaul is using the worst of the best. Playing tournaments with no prizes mean nothing to the best players. Tiger Woods would not play a Nationwide Tour tournament because he wouldn't get much out of it. TaxAnalyst, your comment is the one that's off base because you've taken the "deep" thinking of Paul and looked at just the "single play" factor of these tourneys. But look deeper (at ALL of the single play tournaments available), and you'll find that these tourneys are not good to use at all. So just remember that the next time you think to criticize one of the earliest and best players on all of WGT.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2009 6:16 PM

Tibbets... you remember TaxAnalyst don't you? He was the one sharing an account before he started with his own.. Oh yea, and we're supposed to 'get off his sack'...

Now, on to the OP.  These are not true rankings, there are too many tourney's missing.  You can't take 25% of all tourney's played and get an accurate ranking of who's who.

That would be like only taking the PGA events held in California and Florida for points in the FedEx Cup.  It just doesn't work out that way... 

But, I do commend TallAcePaul's efforts.. that looks like it takes some time to put together.   Great idea, mate, just a bit more work is needed to make it 'spot-on'.. =)

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Aug 3 2009 6:58 PM

One must have a sack for me to get off of it.

• thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Tue, Aug 4 2009 4:54 PM

Tall Ace Paul thanks for your work.  I would like to take a second to comment on your rankings.  I do think I understand your scoring system.  Single play really is the only true indicator of play under pressure because there is no restart or replay to play better.  As former professional golfer you don't get a chance to start over because you bogey the first few holes or it is not as good as you hope.  Unlimited play allows for many opportunities to score the best.  I actually prefer unlimited play as I get to play quite a bit but I know that is not always a true indicator of my regular golf.  I think your rankings will show the best players when facing head to head golf.  That being said I would not adjust the rankings.

• Caven
    63 Posts
    Tue, Aug 4 2009 9:50 PM

Have to agree with Snaike and Tibbets comments.

There can be no true rankings that compare abilities as there are to many variables.

I.E. Processor speed, memory, time of day played (network load), different wind directions and speeds, not all players play all tournaments, and so on.

The closest one can come to a relative ranking are weighted averages of all scores posted, excluding multiplayer games.

Unlimited play, I believe, is actually a truer resemblance of ones capability as it shows the best you've got.  If not everyone would be shooting 27's and 54's.

The whole concept of comparing this game to actual golf is a fantasy, take this game for what it is, a blast.

RSS