Forums

Help › Forums

Why are we penalized for practicing?

rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 13 2016 7:32 AM (29 replies)
  • Oilfieldguy
    289 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2016 5:34 AM

Just bumped to Legend and really need the practice on the T-12's so I want to spend as much time putting as I can and many times that means taking mulligans. Taking two strokes off the ball makes no sense to me unless your actually trying to penalize a person for practicing. We don't have a driving range or a putting green and even if we did I'm afraid they would apply the same rule. So here's where I'm at. I run about 75 to 100 dollars a week through the site on average buying balls, passes, entry fee's and equipment. Why would the site want to jeopardize that over a 1 stroke penalty on a ball just for practicing? I know it's just pennies but I've seen pennies cost you dollars in the business world. So my question to WGT is would you rather try and squeeze an extra 40 to 50 dollars a year out of me or risk losing around 4000 dollars a year. Now I'm just an old boy from oilfields of West TX but folks that decision is a no-brainer. I'm not about to allow a couple of bean counters to run off a good paying customer.

• lonniescott711
    4,180 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2016 10:46 AM

Use the rock for practicing . Especially when working on your putting . When practicing it wont matter where the ball goes so you can hit it where ever and its no big deal . As for what you spend on the game WGT could care less because if not you then some one else will . You wont be the first to leave and the understanding of lost revenue is beyond their reasoning .

So use the rock for practice rounds the worst thing that will happen is that it will improve your game . Congrats on your move up to Legend . You will find the views are amazing and the game more fun . The greens are just a little bit faster and you have to play the breaks just a little more than before . Good luck with your game and I hope this helps . :-)

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2016 11:03 AM

lonniescott711:
    Use the rock for practicing . Especially when working on your putting .

+1!

To my knowledge, the ball has no influence on putting, only the putters.

• alanti
    10,563 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2016 11:14 AM

Oilfieldguy:
    Just bumped to Legend and really need the practice on the T-12's

Wrong - you need practice playing the actual course. You have tiered up by playing easy tees and greens - so you need practice approaching from further away and then you need to hone your scrambling skills and then focus on your putting.

Play all the courses, all too often you find players who are red tee, one track players.

As Lonnie said, use the "rock" to practice putting, but sadly you need your normal ball otherwise for distance and spin.

To practice putting, use the rock on a Par 3 course.

If the game is costing you up to $100 a week, my advice is to ease off - burnout will get you first.

I do understand your point regarding bean counters, but that is all WGT have looked at in the past, so unless the new owners implement sensible business practices, I cannot see that changing. Business 101 is not their forte.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2016 11:14 AM

The meter speed would be different with the rock.

$75-$100 a week??!!   Calling bs on that one.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2016 11:26 AM

YankeeJim:

Agree 100% Jim, was going to post same thought.

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2016 11:52 AM

alosso:
    To my knowledge, the ball has no influence on putting, only the putters.

Sometimes I wonder but I'm not about to start buying balls to try and disprove that thought.

• Oilfieldguy
    289 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2016 4:38 PM

That ones definitly no BS, I moved up fast and have been upgrading equipment as I go. Passes,  entries and ball purchases add up quickly.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2016 8:29 PM

YankeeJim:

It evens out.  I've never spent a penny on the game.

They gotta keep the doors open somehow, and it's not from me.

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Tue, Feb 9 2016 9:15 PM

YankeeJim:

It's funny --- I was reading the post, and just when I got to that bit my mobile phone timer went off in my pocket (pie in the oven - alarm makes sure if I'm playing WGT that I don't remember 3 hrs later to find the kitchen burnt to the ground!)

anyway - as I read it and the alarm went off - I chuckled and thought "I think my bs detector just went off".

then I read down to your bit and it matched perfectly   lol

Maybe there was a week I spent $100   ---  only when I upgraded all my clubs!

RSS