Forums

Help › Forums

"Balance" in putters

Thu, Jul 5 2018 11:07 PM (24 replies)
  • cadornette
    319 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2016 2:39 PM

Hi there. I have always wondered what the balance is for. I now am using the TMade Ghost Spider putter and I wanted to change it, that's why I want to know how the next levels Ghosts would change my game, being them putters with more "Balance". I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2016 2:48 PM

good question, I think it keeps the line better on bendy putts,and for sure makes using bigger scales like 50 -60-100 and missing dings less hurtful

• ColumbusStorm
    3,417 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2016 3:00 PM

siggipj76:
    for sure makes using bigger scales like 50 -60-100 and missing dings less hurtful

Yes. ^ in terms of the distance a putt will travel.

The higher number for balance on a putter means distance is more consistent when missing or hitting the ding.

With my putter I am very confident my putt will go very close to same distance whether I miss the ding or not.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2016 3:01 PM

Balance in a putter is what helps the putt stay on line. The more balance, the better the putter will swing and in this game that translates to the putt holding the line better.

Think of it this way. Say you had a balsa wood putter that's as light as a feather. Putting with something like that would mean you'd have to have a death grip on the putter and the swing would be all arms.

Now take a metal putter with weight where it needs to be in the head and balanced so nice that all you have to do is hold onto it while it just about swings itself through a nice arc. That's what balance does for a putter.  :-)

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2016 3:17 PM

Balance is one of the things you lose after consuming an excessive amount of alcohol.

Not that my putter drinks of course.

• cadornette
    319 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2016 4:34 PM

lol

• cadornette
    319 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2016 4:35 PM

Thanks everyone. I like my putter, but would like to see how a different one would work. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2016 4:38 PM

cadornette:

Thanks everyone. I like my putter, but would like to see how a different one would work. 

Be careful here. A putter takes a while to get used to so don't expect to learn it in a couple of rounds. Give it a week or two.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Fri, Jan 29 2016 5:20 PM

YankeeJim:

cadornette:

Be careful here. A putter takes a while to get used to so don't expect to learn it in a couple of rounds. Give it a week or two.

Yes if you like and know your putter, don't give it up for better numbers.

I play the 94 nike, I bought the 96 versa, and I still use my nike, I just know the roll better.

it can take a long time to get used to a new putter.

Kind of like a new woman.

RSS