Forums

Help › Forums

Original Best Of Par 3 4 and 5

Thu, Sep 14 2017 6:27 PM (21 replies)
  • PeterJock
    4,445 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2016 4:47 AM

razza31:
    Yes, that was exactly the point of the re-jig.

"You can't be serious."

I have noticed our new par 3 course event. The chopping out all the Cabo Del Sol and Whistler holes has left a bit of a hole. They were the ones that made these Best Of courses interesting because you rarely played them.

Feels like we are going backwards and not forward.

Speaking of backward, will we ever see the back 9 of Pebble Beach for that matter.

Peterjock

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2016 11:19 AM

razza31:
    PS: Nice they got the back pin for ST And #1. Much more playable for lower tiers.

Really? I think most new player like the front pin much more than the back pin. Once you learn the punch with the wedges the front pin becomes a sure birdie and with luck an eagle. The back pin is much harder to make birdie on. Oh I had a couple of eagles on it early on but I still like the front pin more.

• Luciano18
    316 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2016 2:48 PM

Hmmm...

Not that I usually beat on a topic till the 12th of Never but...

Does anyone have any idea WHY the originals were replaced ??

All well and good to ADD the new ones, but did we have to LOSE the others ??

Contractual obligations ending ? Not enough room for all the course ? Fear of Redundancy ?

Mods ? Anyone else ?

Luciano

• DAZZA501
    5,972 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2016 3:15 PM

Personally i don't like the new best of par 5. With less eagle chances the leaderboards for any tournament there are going to be bunched up as they're all still easy birdies. At least with the old 1 the scores were spread out from getting eagles.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2016 3:16 PM

Luciano18:
    Contractual obligations ending ?

This is the best guess for me. We know from OAK that it has always been special - never in any Best-of mix! - why not for other courses, too?

OTOH, 't was on time to include the new courses, and more than one of each might have stirred dissatisfaction from us customers.

We'll probably never know - they are the Hold-Your-Tongue Tribe from Bay Area!

• razza31
    703 Posts
    Thu, Feb 4 2016 4:44 PM

borntobesting:

Really? I think most new player like the front pin much more than the back pin. Once you learn the punch with the wedges the front pin becomes a sure birdie and with luck an eagle. The back pin is much harder to make birdie on. Oh I had a couple of eagles on it early on but I still like the front pin more.

With any sort of tail-wind there's absolutely no chance of getting inside 20 ft to the front pin with the low spin equipment.. With starters you'd obviously want more green to work with and the slope near the back pin curls the ball L-R towards the hole as well as holding it up making it a much easier shot to get close.

I remember getting lot more back pins when I was <Master.. Pretty similar to BPB #2 and Oak #11.. Probably just a coincidence.

• samppa454
    308 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2016 7:15 AM

What about these new best of par 3-5 courses.. On best of par3 I have played very little, but based on that experience it seems like a good course. No Whistler or Cabo, but on the other hand Pebble beach front 9 and Bandon Dunes are included. Best of par5 seems like more challenging that the previous. More long par 5`s, which means you are not that often home in two. This new best of par 5 is a good addition in my opinion. However, you really need to get used to the new best of par 4 course to becoming another low scoring course, which is a pity.. I really liked the old best of par4 due to it was quite the challenge. WGT should have kept it.  Back then, I was happy to shoot a 66 from champion tees with moderate winds. But on this new best of par4 course, I shot 61 on my first full round there (with moderate winds). If I approximate the differences in what I would average on these courses in terms of strokes, I would say this new best of par4 could be around 5-6 strokes easier than the previous! The big difference between these two is also in the scorecard - old best of par 4 (2014): 8352 yards, new best of par 4 (2016): 7768 yards. If I could change this new best of par 4 course, I would choose tougher and pretty long par4 holes from Pinehurst, Olympic and Chambers Bay and replace a few of these easy par4 holes on this new course.

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Wed, Feb 10 2016 10:52 AM

I'd can all 3 of those.  All garbage.

• jayzach
    380 Posts
    Thu, Sep 14 2017 6:27 AM

Best of par 5 sucks...the whole idea about par 5s is taking a chance of getting home in 2 and trying for an eagle putt. With this new one very few chances.

And the par 3 course...Who is the idiot who designed this monstrosity??  seems like you hit 3 wood on everyone except one hole in which you hit wedge....how freakin retarded is that. Piss poor is all I have to say about that! 

• WillyBigg
    2,135 Posts
    Thu, Sep 14 2017 2:48 PM

It's why we don't play them anymore, "sucks" is being nice about it, lol. Even for the players that like them, you must admit they are getting stale at this point.

Time to redo those & the other Best Of's, IMO. And this time don't leave behind the fun.

RSS