OFF DING . IS IT COMING BACK IN ?

rated by 0 users
Sun, Feb 14 2016 12:16 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sat, Jan 2 2016 10:04 PM

pdb1:
    Are you sure that speed boosted shots do the same exact thing as no boost speed shots ? Just doesn't seem like they could be .

On the contrary: Very likely IMHO.

The outcome of a shot is fully calculated in the split second between the mouseclick and the start of ball movement. Speed boost should only create an accelerated display.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2016 12:19 AM

With my Irons and woods the meter speed can be too fast for me (so I changed back the max's) even with using the Max balls as they can quicken up too.  Awhile ago I found it easier to miss ding than ding it.  So most of my shots will be slightly missed.  Except the  Bb 3wood. Always try to ding that club.

I haven't done any tests but you do lose some distance when you miss ding, so you have to compensate.

Miss Dinging is also handy on some Tee shots to get around tree's and aim Properly. Beth2 off  the Blacks for example.

In very low winds 1-5 range, you can miss ding without aiming, but make sure the aim is on the pin.

Flop Shots I always hit the line before ding.

I always been a miss the ding Putter. Only time I ding is if it's a straight putt and the only time I move aim is when there is a fast break.  I have been moving aim just slightly on Champs and still missing the ding.

Something that has to be learnt from heaps of practice as I couldn't explain it   lol

-Roger

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2016 12:34 AM

mantis0014:
    Miss Dinging is also handy

New girl in town? Please introduce me to her!

(scnr)

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2016 12:41 AM

alosso:

mantis0014:

(scnr)

Shhh,  my secret   lol

• hakman123
    2,119 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2016 1:26 AM

For putts with a cross-break, I find that if you hit the Ding, the ball starts off-line right off the putter face in the down-hill direction a lot. By off-dinging slightly to the up-hill side it can force the putt to start on the desired line.

I also off-ding a lot on the short putts. Just hit it straight at the centre of the hole and off-ding to the up-hill side. Otherwise those putts that are "off line right off the putter face" lip out on the low side, and trying to 2nd guess that means you can lip out on the high side. Using the off-ding technique on the short putts seems to me to be more reliable.

For irons - going off-ding has the added advantage of "hedging" the shot against miss-timing (another new girl around town!). A slight miss when you are aiming off-ding, is nowhere near as dramatic as the same slight miss while aiming for the ding. The sensitivity is bigger near the ding than away from it.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2016 1:26 AM

mantis0014:

alosso:

mantis0014:

(scnr)

Shhh,  my secret   lol

She's related to Miss Michigan, only she's missing her ding finger.  LOL

Also a distant relative to Mrs Rosie Palms.  ;-)

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2016 1:40 AM

What a prospect! You must be crazy about Miss Dinging, hiding her from the ROW!

hpurey:
    She's related to Miss Michigan, only she's missing her ding finger.  LOL

Ah - I know her since I miss'ed Michigan on my USA tour in June.

• drmoose
    3,532 Posts
    Sun, Jan 3 2016 6:11 AM

Many times it has been stated that when driving, an off ding to the windward side will yield better results. This may be a result of not moving the aim marker far enough to compensate for the wind, but at any rate, it does seem to hold true. As a miss ding putter, ( not that I'm any expert or nuthin' ) I purposely off ding by as much as an inch on tough breaks, and also move the marker when they are more severe. Fwiw ,"Ding" ain't all that.

Doc :)

• PAGES
RSS