Forums

Help › Forums

who is the best player in the game?

Mon, Mar 5 2018 11:11 PM (244 replies)
  • WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2015 2:20 PM

MichaelStroke:
    Well played Johnny.  I just couldn't get it together that game.

Only back on to reply as I noticed the above from my tablet.

Thank you, Michael.

Sorry I dashed off so sudden. One of my favourite book's film adaptations just started on TV here and I'm watching at mo' - *Wells' War of The Worlds.

Far as the game went;

30 seconds is certainly doable, it's just not really my idea of fun. Tee/approach is fine. Once on the green though the quality of putting my end deteriorates (If that's poss for me at the minute) dramatically.

I think about 90% of my shots were hit with 1 second remaining on clock!

Michael, as I've said before, was an absolute pleasure to play. I know he pisses folk off at times on the forums (as I do) but in-game he's a gent.

If I remember correctly Michael won the 1st. Think we tied till 5th and with two remaining I was 2 up. The 8th was at... ummm... can't remember!?!?! Tough par 4 were the pin is on a dramatic slope with usually a longish approach to get there. I hit just off green below pin. Michael went past and left of pin leaving a real hard putt, champ greens too,  to take the game to the last - he sunk it magnificently, absolute peach for bird.

Went into last (CCC 18) with myself 1 up. Alas, for Michael, he went left of the pin into rough narrowly missing the wet stuff. I played ultra-safe ensuring I stayed dry.

@ Mr Mellow - ty for kind words, Mark.

Ciao and thanks again for game, Michael.

*Catch the original Orson Welles radio broadcast and imagine you are there back in the day - no wonder folk thought it was real Stateside.

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2015 2:36 PM

mkg335:

Just checked Johnny's page and saw that you guys played at BofP4, got to be the toughest layout here.  Johnny's a strong player, too...no shame in losing to him anywhere, also would be no shame in losing to Michael.  Best part is that it appears you guys enjoyed the match, good on yer.

Damn, wife must've spiked the eggnog, I've grown mellow and maudlin here...

I don't like excuses, but my biggest problem was that we played BACK 9 of Bo4s.  It wasn't so much the 4s themselves.

I play randoms unless someone creates.  WGT has it set up to where if both people pick random, you ALWAYS get put on the front 9 of some course.  Any time I play the back half of a course, I'm at a real disadvantage.

I held my own, for the most part, on holes that were on the front half of their respective course (or the front 9 of BoHH, like that obnoxious 15th hole on Bethpage).  However, I think every hole that was on a back 9, Cabo, or Whistler I lost but one.

I lost 1 up, but it should've been 2 up if not for getting a really painful birdie on 17 (also known as 5th hole on Merion...think we all remember that one).  Aside from that, my putting was just not good.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2015 2:45 PM

I have never played Michael, but everyone I knows who has said he is a nice guy - Jekyll and Hyde? 

But I have player Johnny, so without his head getting any bigger....but does this mean he is in the top 20?

Seriously, he is in my book......as a player I like to gave a game with, in any format as he is a hoot.

Personally I would rate myself in the top million.....on a good day.

As a player who plays for a laugh, 30 second clocks are very doable, but not fun as I like to chat and the result is inconsequential. 

There are some elite players, and their record in tournaments and against other elite players is there to see. 

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2015 3:01 PM

alanti:

I have never played Michael, but everyone I knows who has said he is a nice guy - Jekyll and Hyde? 

But I have player Johnny, so without his head getting any bigger....but does this mean he is in the top 20?

Seriously, he is in my book......as a player I like to gave a game with, in any format as he is a hoot.

Personally I would rate myself in the top million.....on a good day.

As a player who plays for a laugh, 30 second clocks are very doable, but not fun as I like to chat and the result is inconsequential. 

There are some elite players, and their record in tournaments and against other elite players is there to see. 

I can't do tournaments or 90 second clocks because my ADHD just kicks in. Johnny and I were able to converse even during 30 second clocks.

I'm 100% "feel", which means two things: 1) I don't need very long at all to shoot, and 2) I'm always on the lookout for people who use calculators, cheats, programs, etc.  I just don't find that very conducive to real golf.  Could you imagine Mickelson using laser pointers, or Woods using GPS devices?  That cheapens it, IMO.

Part of my record is that I do play randoms, and I do play more scored than MPC (although I am known to put some credits on the line - just not massive amounts).  That means that I'm not going to go up against the best of what's around.  You rarely find someone who plays randoms that plays like Johnny.  Before him, my only loss to a champion was to some Italian guy.  Can't remember his name, but it was like pietro....something.  His CC badge has a heart on it.  He beat me 1-up when his iron approach went in for eagle on a par 4.  Other than that, we split everything and I just could not catch a break.  He played like a beast, and I couldn't break through.

I gladly will accept any challenge from the more elite guys here.  It's not like I frame my record or put it on my resume as some golden shrine.  I can take the percentage hit.  It's all good.

Still waiting on alcaucin to come on back.  :D

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2015 3:26 PM

Apologies to the OP.

Wee bump from me to get this back on track...

krskfr:

Just curious what the WGT community thinks is the best way to determine who the top player in this game is? There are many really really great players, however there has to be a #1. Breaking down stats is a good indicator, however which statistics are the most imperative to formulate a conclusion on? I guess "par 3" "par 4" and "par 5" scoring average is a start, but not entirely empirical. Any thoughts?

-

-

-

-

-

Alice, where ur ye? Stoap watching that carp cricket !

• WigerToods2010
    8,445 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2015 3:29 PM

PaulTon:

bubbsboy:
    And by the way, im the best.

Everyone secretly knows that.

+1

That's that settled then, yay?

:O)

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2015 3:56 PM

bubbsboy:

ct690911:

pps..I agree with Bubbs...I think he is the best player on WGT. !!

ct

Not even the best player in our street, though saying that the way her in number 27 is shifting around on that zimmer, then i may be shortly ;-)

• mkg335
    5,491 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2015 4:00 PM

bubbs is the best, I've already said it, and I'm never wrong...except when I'm not right, which is something I often heard growing up...

"There's something not right with the boy..."

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2015 4:32 PM

WigerToods2010:

Ahhh the things we do for a sleeve of ...................LMAO

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Dec 20 2015 4:42 PM

alanti:

WigerToods2010:

Ahhh the things we do for a sleeve of ...................LMAO

CARP CRICKET

RSS