Forums

Help › Forums

Immovable Obstruction, Free Drop Merion 15

rated by 0 users
Sat, Nov 28 2015 8:28 PM (3 replies)
  • Imasmrtazz
    194 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2015 5:12 PM

I hit a tee shot on the road on Merion #15, and it said I had an immovable obstruction, and got a free drop.  They placed me hitting my second shot, all the way back on a tee.  The free drop should take place next to the road.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sat, Nov 28 2015 3:44 AM

Imasmrtazz:

I hit a tee shot on the road on Merion #15, and it said I had an immovable obstruction, and got a free drop.  They placed me hitting my second shot, all the way back on a tee.  The free drop should take place next to the road.

That's right, in Rule 24-2 there's no option to repeat the shot without penalty. There's another occurrance of this issue to the right of Road Hole's green, STA#17.

I suppose that these spots are treated like lateral water where WGT, reluctant to give players choices, choses one legal option for the drop. Sometimes it's close to the spot, sometimes on the opposite side (CCC #11) and often back to the place of the genuine shot. At  the two spots mentioned, it's against the rules.

It may be simplification (imagine how many drop spots must be calculated) or lazy programming(?). Anyway, it is as it is, for all players alike.

BTW, the road on STA#18 is indicated as an immovable obstruction as well but the drop is at the road. There, the mistake is that it is "integral part of the course" according to their local rules. We shold play it as it lies.

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Sat, Nov 28 2015 3:35 PM

Under the rules in real life the committee may make the use of a drop zone mandatory. Since WGT insists it's the committee for every single game played on this site (practice, country club, casual, etc.) they should just program a drop zone every 100 or 150 yards on each hole. The the game could then "drop" the ball in the drop zone closest behind where the ball was "lost". That would make use of the drop zones mandatory and eliminate all of these drops people don't like. It would also eliminate the need for an infinite number of spots to be calculated.

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sat, Nov 28 2015 8:28 PM

+1!

RSS