Forums

Help › Forums

Distance Calculators that work on Mac?

Sat, Jan 9 2016 5:46 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • MrFunnyWobbl
    894 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2015 2:24 PM

I was wondering if anyone knows of any programs (or even if anyone just has a spreadsheet on excel) that are compatible with a Mac that calculates distance given yardage, wind and direction and elevation change? 

I looked into Kats and Bilko's yet both only work on windows, and the one for mac (swingmate) is basically the same as shotpal it appears. 

Does anyone know of any? 

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2015 9:19 PM

MrFunnyWobbl:

I was wondering if anyone knows of any programs that calculates distance given yardage, wind and direction and elevation change? 

So you want something that does it all for you? Would there be any point playing?

• 11BC2
    555 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2015 10:31 PM

courteneyfish:
    So you want something that does it all for you? Would there be any point playing?
    This is nonsensical.   There's absolutey no difference if you do the calculations in your head (on the fly) or if you use a program, or yet again, if you use your own formula and save it all on an excel worksheet for quick viewing as you play.

At the OP.  I've got a friend who uses mac - I'll ask him if he has a spreadsheet or something similar that you can use for quick reference during the game. 

You'll still have to  make the proper elevation and wind estimates regardless and it will also be up to you to make the best judgement in where to land, how much roll, what side of the hole to be on, etc etc.....Not to mention you have to swing and Ding or miss on the proper side, decide what kind of a putt you will leave yourself. It goes on and on and on.

So I have no clue why anyone would every say something like "do it all for you" and "why even play".  That's just silly.  Next thing people will be saying the same thing if you take notes or if you make visual illistrations of holes/putts/locations/etc is doing the same thing.

Cheers.  Sean.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2015 6:31 AM

Well said Sean!

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2015 6:49 AM

11BC2:

courteneyfish:
    This is nonsensical.   There's absolutey no difference if you do the calculations in your head (on the fly) or if you use a program, or yet again, if you use your own formula and save it all on an excel worksheet for quick viewing as you play.

At the OP.  I've got a friend who uses mac - I'll ask him if he has a spreadsheet or something similar that you can use for quick reference during the game. 

You'll still have to  make the proper elevation and wind estimates regardless and it will also be up to you to make the best judgement in where to land, how much roll, what side of the hole to be on, etc etc.....Not to mention you have to swing and Ding or miss on the proper side, decide what kind of a putt you will leave yourself. It goes on and on and on.

So I have no clue why anyone would every say something like "do it all for you" and "why even play".  That's just silly.  Next thing people will be saying the same thing if you take notes or if you make visual illistrations of holes/putts/locations/etc is doing the same thing.

Cheers.  Sean.

Same can be said for cheaters...why even play

• hatcojack
    410 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2015 8:25 AM

MrFunnyWobbl:

I was wondering if anyone knows of any programs (or even if anyone just has a spreadsheet on excel) that are compatible with a Mac that calculates distance given yardage, wind and direction and elevation change? 

I looked into Kats and Bilko's yet both only work on windows, and the one for mac (swingmate) is basically the same as shotpal it appears. 

Does anyone know of any? 

1 yd for every 3 ft of elevation works pretty well. add for uphill, subtract for downhill.

• hatcojack
    410 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2015 8:28 AM

MrFunnyWobbl:

Does anyone know of any? 

there are several wind adjustments on forums. just look under "adjustments for wind"  try them, and go with one that works best for you.

• virtualreality
    122 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2015 9:25 PM

Tigerpaw509:
    Same can be said for cheaters...why even play

If what sean said is cheating then what will you say to people like daddyskat, bilko?cheaters?they have more respect in here than you or miss one liner.

They have actually put considerable time and effort in making wgt gameplay easier for many here through their calculators.That too with the intention of helping out the community without anything in return .

Showing respect to them is the least we can do on our part.

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Wed, Nov 25 2015 10:12 PM

I asked 2 questions. I never gave an opinion. I just wonder sometimes if the developers of this game really expected people to use calculators, spreadsheets and computer programs to play an online version of golf.

If people just played this as a game then the scores wouldn't be ridiculously low. 

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2015 12:39 AM

courteneyfish:
    I just wonder sometimes if the developers of this game really expected people to use calculators, spreadsheets and computer programs to play an online version of golf.

Well if they wanted realism that is how it works IRL.  The caddie is not there to say looks about 175 yards but could play 200 as not real sure, well, not if they want a job for R2 :)

Just the way it is.  Now equipment being so good and wind being so playable might be another argument as scores here hold up obviously too well compared to RL.  Really still the case even after allowing for the fact it's a mouse click here .

Sorry Ms F but never quite know if you are joking or not.......

EDIT: I use 5 - 7 seconds flat mental calcs, no hole notes and play quick enough.  OK I do have a calculator and then realise just entered 8 x 1.5 or something just as daft when I use it:) Some seem to use Bilko's stuff fairly quick.  I think the other one usually takes longer (never used it enough to really say how quick with time).  Anyway what I do is good enough for what I care about but who cares how others do it, IMO.  Players should have a regard to keeping the game going though, but most good players do anyway.

• PAGES
RSS