Help › Forums

Rough

rated by 0 users
Mon, Nov 30 2015 7:31 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • CoryLStooksbury
    1 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2015 12:00 PM

Why does the rough play so un-realistic? Any tips for playing out of the rough other than obviously stay in the fairway?

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2015 3:52 PM

Stay in the fairway...oops...never mind.

• igolfdoyou1
    896 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2015 4:09 PM

Pick up the ball manually when no one is looking and hit it with a baseball bat ;)

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Tue, Nov 24 2015 4:12 PM

CoryLStooksbury:
    Why does the rough play so un-realistic

Well you are playing with garage sale clubs. Other than that you could try a punch shot to safety. Take your lumps now and don't waste another shot.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sun, Nov 29 2015 7:24 AM

CoryLStooksbury:

Any tips for playing out of the rough other than obviously stay in the fairway?

Anything more than 25% rough with your club, find the Shortest route to fairway and punch out. 

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Sun, Nov 29 2015 3:18 PM

In 30 to 40% rough, using a medium to short iron, and Full shot mode, I add 15% of the yardage to allow for the rough and expect to land short and have more roll than usual with a particular club.

I might use a punch shot, but it depends on the hole and the wind and I expect a punch shot to roll a lot more than a full shot.

At 20% rough I guesstimate how much the rough will cost in yardage based on what course I am playing.

I won't hit a 3W out of rough.

• fireman33
    2,692 Posts
    Sun, Nov 29 2015 4:42 PM

nothing in front of you (like a sand trap) you can use the 3 wood with full top spin. Use this when close to the fairway with it toward the hole. The ball will roll roll roll roll. My Big Bertha will roll about 190 + yards

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Sun, Nov 29 2015 5:52 PM

fireman33:

nothing in front of you (like a sand trap) you can use the 3 wood with full top spin. Use this when close to the fairway with it toward the hole. The ball will roll roll roll roll. My Big Bertha will roll about 190 + yards

The OP uses a starter 3 wood...does that matter?  (just curious as, same as ApexPC,  I don't use my 3 wood to escape rough)

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Sun, Nov 29 2015 10:12 PM

From 30/40, I might use 3W punch if I find a path to hit FW in carry AND allow for the long bump&roll.

From 40+, only punched irons including 3i, from 50+, only shorter irons like 8i or 9i.

With Starters, don't be too ambitious. Highest priority is to find the FW. You have to take the medicine or the rough will punish you even more.

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2015 12:59 AM

ApexPC:

In 30 to 40% rough, using a medium to short iron, and Full shot mode, I add 15% of the yardage to allow for the rough and expect to land short and have more roll than usual with a particular club.

I might use a punch shot, but it depends on the hole and the wind and I expect a punch shot to roll a lot more than a full shot.

At 20% rough I guesstimate how much the rough will cost in yardage based on what course I am playing.

I won't hit a 3W out of rough.

Why not hit a 3 wood from the rough?? My Big Bertha 3 wood is almost as good as a hybrid from 20/25% rough with a punch shot. Any heavier it won't work well but from the light stuff it is very good.

• PAGES
RSS