Forums

Help › Forums

Why practice putting?

Mon, May 30 2016 6:48 AM (54 replies)
  • gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 10:53 AM

I made a commitment to practice putting a minimum of 1 hour every day this month. I have determined that it does very little good and I'll tell you why....

(Note that I only count "Dinged" putts)  Once your putt exceeds 5 feet they very seldom break exactly the same.  Usually inside 5 feet they will only vary 1 or 2 inches so they will still go in the hole.  But many times I've had them break a whole cup different from 10 feet so that putt will miss.  So of course over 10 feet depends a lot on chance.  Granted, by practicing your chances improve somewhat.

The bottom line is, there must be something else to putting that the players consistently shooting in the 50's have figured out that I need to know.

Are there any TL's or Champions out there willing to share?

• adaputter
    1,954 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 11:20 AM

gerryniswonger:

nice to hope but dont think they will

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 11:29 AM

adaputter:
    nice to hope but dont think they will

They do if you ask.

@Gerry-What kind of conditions are you using? Like are you setting up practice rounds or using ranked rounds? I ask that because the green speeds aren't the same day to day so each of your practice sessions might not be under the same conditions.

• stfuusimf
    2 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 12:28 PM

gerryniswonger:

The bottom line is, there must be something else to putting that the players consistently shooting in the 50's have figured out that I need to know.

Yeah, it's called WGT has their own accounts, and many a number of'em @ that. these shills that shoot in the 50's are WGT. and the ones that dispute this comment are WGT sock puppets.

• gerryniswonger
    1,890 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 1:46 PM

"What kind of conditions are you using?"   Each day I used a different speed (Champ then Tourney then Very Fast Etc.) I played in  practice mode otherwise I couldn't have the exact same putt many times.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 2:05 PM

Gerry,  Check out bhoese's Putter Precision Tests results for your level 94 Nike putter.

Cabo hole #6 has a section of perfectly flat green.  bhoese dinged 20 putts using the exact same aim point(intersection of grid lines) and exact same power (via PutterPal).  Look at the variation in the distance the putts rolled!

That's at least an 18" distance spread, maybe as much as 22.  The balls that went farthest would roll faster through any break and break less than the balls that were rolling slower through any break..

Identical putts won't give us identical results.

• cdefghi
    2,872 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 2:55 PM

bhoese's results are amazing as far as the variation on those putts Andy. If it was done putting one ball after the other it's even more amazing.

In real life golf say you belong to a CC that you play everyday or close to everyday. Early morning rounds, right after the greens are cut will produce different results then when you play later in the day, especially if the type of grass is grainy and is influenced by the position of the sun. Maybe what we're seeing on WGT's version of putting is the same as that circle of precision thing that will cause us to see differing results on say a dinged shot from exactly the same spot, same wind, when one takes a mulligan to practice.

I'm wondering if the fact he used one of the True Golf courses had anything to do with the variation. Those courses seem to be a little different  putting , for me anyway, than any of the other  WGT courses. Maybe that's all in my head but maybe not. I'd still like to see the results of another 20 putts from one of the flat spots at BPB.

Either way, thanks for posting his findings, it's interesting enough that any decent WGT putter might use that to their advantage and maybe in their  future rounds, not try to be as fine on their putts from spots they feel confident with previous results, and judge each putt for what it is in their minds at that moment.  

Just what we all need, a small  shadow of doubt when were trying to accomplish what IMO is the single most important aspect of this game, holing putts consistently.

• lonniescott711
    4,181 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 3:04 PM

gerryniswonger:

"What kind of conditions are you using?"   Each day I used a different speed (Champ then Tourney then Very Fast Etc.) I played in  practice mode otherwise I couldn't have the exact same putt many times.

There`s the problem you have to learn each green speed one at a time . The breaks dont play the same or putt the same . You have to give yourself time to learn because it`s not instant .

All putts dont read true this is where ball placement comes in especially on the greens . Every green has a point of attack and this will change according to pin placement . So you have to take time to learn the greens . Play the courses and move the pins as much as possible .

Next learn your putter increments and power levels . For example my AVG. 2 Pin is 11 ft. . So when putting my main meter increments are between 15-30 ft . It`s very very seldom do I ever have to use anything higher than 30ft increment . I learned to use avatar movements as a power gauge when putting . The putter pal works great too now that you have a free unlimited one use it .

Learn to read the breaks some will be false reads they wont break just like real golf . Thats why you have to learn the greens and ball placement . So you are on the right track because its all practice , practice , and then more practice . I use the starter ball when playing practice rounds since the mulligan will eat a ball up .

Hope this helps put you on the right path . Good luck with your game . :-)

• WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 3:14 PM

stfuusimf:

Yeah, it's called WGT has their own accounts, and many a number of'em @ that. these shills that shoot in the 50's are WGT. and the ones that dispute this comment are WGT sock puppets.

Well that's just not true.

_SOCKPUPPET  _CHAMPION

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Nov 12 2015 3:41 PM

cdefghi:
    bhoese's results are amazing as far as the variation on those putts Andy. If it was done putting one ball after the other it's even more amazing.

Yes it was done putting one ball after the other and taking a screen shot of the results of dinged shots only.

RSS