Forums

Help › Forums

Wow Faterson is back

Thu, May 14 2020 5:21 PM (40 replies)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Oct 27 2015 9:28 PM

Thanks for the kind words, Edge.

For the record: I have nothing against the mouse as a game controller. After all, Steve Jobs and Apple were likewise taking credit for the invention of the computer mouse. Jobs's claim simply was that the mouse was not a suitable tool to be used in conjunction with a touchscreen device such as a tablet or a mobile phone. Human fingers were said to be more than capable of fully replacing the mouse (greatly exceeding its capabilities, in fact) on those devices. And I agree.

Also, while Flash may be dead or dying, its successor HTML5 (compatible with both mobile devices and traditional computers) most definitely is not. So, perhaps WGT's original golf game will one day be transformed from Flash to HTML5 even on traditional computers, and the meter stutter will become a thing of the past on all platforms. Back in 2010, I thought we'd never get to see WGT golf on iPad/iPhone, and look what happened! We can already play native WGT golf on iPad/iPhone (and easily stream/mirror the game to huge TV screens and wall projectors) today, in nearly flawless quality (apart from the 8 missing features/quibbles listed earlier in this thread).

If you enjoy playing this golf game while sitting in your office chair and clicking the mouse, more power to you!  It's just that my particular life setup is different. While I prefer to perform my work in bed, it cannot always be done, particularly when lengthy texts need to be composed. And so, work sometimes requires me to spend inordinate amounts of time sitting in an office chair (like, 12 hours on stretch in times of impending deadlines), and that is the reason why I flatly refuse to play this golf game while sitting in an office chair and staring at an office-style screen any longer. No, not a single hole, now that the mobile version of WGT golf is available; my health (especially the avoidance of backaches) has higher priority.

dedBuNNy, once again thank you for the Puffin browser recommendation. I've just purchased it on both iOS and Android – the high quality of this app was obvious after 30 seconds of looking at the free version, so I went ahead and bought the full versions to show my appreciation for the developer. (Yes, I also own an Android phone and tablet; although the prospects of ever seeing native WGT golf on Android are likely bleak.) The Puffin developer is a Chinese or Taiwanese guy, a former employee of both Microsoft and Google, and the love and care with which he develops the app and does his best to oblige his customers is instantly palpable. I certainly won't be playing WGT golf using the Puffin browser, because it's no longer needed given the native WGT golf app (and in Puffin, I can observe the ever-so-small, yet distinct delays caused by Flash-in-the-cloud as we speak), but I most definitely will be using the Puffin browser to check out, and possibly contribute to, these WGT forums, until they are one day delivered from the deadly embrace of Flash!

PS: As a first, this forum post has been submitted to you from the iPad using the Puffin browser.  (But later edits were required in Chrome on MacBook because text selection doesn't really work well in Puffin; see, that's one of the areas where the clunkiness of Flash-in-the-cloud rears its ugly head.)

• Soulcatcher
    1,970 Posts
    Wed, Oct 28 2015 4:09 AM

Holy necro.....

I thought you were dead sir.

Nice of you to stop by.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2015 7:14 PM

Nice of Schopenhauer to stop by today too!

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2015 5:01 PM

Indeed! He most certainly isn't dead. 

• Greg91255
    22 Posts
    Tue, Nov 3 2015 9:18 PM

I also play on the Ipad but I am relatively new to the game.  You seem to be a person respected here.  Your comments  are very well stated and I agree with them.  Hopefully, WGT will  read and act on your suggestions. 

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Nov 14 2015 8:33 PM

The game is now even nicer on the 13-inch iPad Pro, as was to be expected, the "ding" even easier to hit. However, the game hasn't really been optimised for iPad Pro so far, as can be seen when the chat interface pops up – it's the "old" iPad keyboard, taking up way too much screen real estate, instead of the much more "modest" iPad Pro keyboard. Hopefully, WGT will fix this soon.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2015 3:19 AM

The Puffin browser didn't serve me for a very long time. For a few weeks now, even the Puffin browser on iPads/iPhone is incapable of logging me in here at WGT.com. It's possible to click inside the fields in the log-in window in the left-hand side panel, but that's it – the software keyboard doesn't appear, so there is no way to type in your login data. Perversely, if I choose to set up a new WGT.com account, that works fine: the software keyboard does appear, and you can type in your new registration data. For existing WGT accounts in the left-hand side panel, however, it doesn't work.

Now that even Adobe renounced Flash, officially condemning it to a death penalty, I hope WGT.com get rid of Flash as fast as possible, too – if not in the desktop game itself, then at least here on the community webpages, so that it's easily possible to log in here, read your private messages and reply to them, etc.

PS: Many thanks for the newly added Pebble Beach! (Even though I lost an expensive ball on my first visit there.) Can't wait for the Back 9. The Front 9 looks a lot better (of course!) than in other golf games (such as Tiger Woods) in which I played it. And please, please, please, also add Oakmont to the iPad/iPhone game! It's been driving me crazy that such an exquisite course is missing on iPad/iPhone, as the only WGT course of all. How can that even be explained???

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2015 6:40 AM

Faterson:
    And please, please, please, also add Oakmont to the iPad/iPhone game! It's been driving me crazy that such an exquisite course is missing on iPad/iPhone, as the only WGT course of all. How can that even be explained???

Also note that Oakmont is absent from the Best-Of courses.  And certainly there are holes on Oakmont worthy.  A possible explanation is restrictions in the contractual agreement with Oakmont members as to how and where their course may be used.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Dec 5 2015 10:56 AM

Yeah, I know this is unlikely to be simple oversight, but it's really a damn shame, to withhold such a beautiful course as Oakmont from iPad/iPhone players. I mean, if you want to withhold the entire course from the golf game, like Augusta does, that's one thing, but to make a course like Oakmont available only on one legacy platform, and banning it on a progressive platform for the same golf game... that's just sad. 

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Thu, May 14 2020 4:44 PM

Bump 

OPY

RSS