Forums

Help › Forums

San Andreas

Tue, Oct 27 2015 3:31 AM (48 replies)
  • ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 9:10 AM

Two differing impressions from two people who live(d) in California...what's a Canuck to do?

...one thing SP is spot on about is her statement that California is a big place. In fact, California's GDP (gross domestic product) is bigger than the GDP of many developed 1st world Countries; including Canada, Australia, South Korea and India.

California : 1,958,904 (in millions $USD)

Canada : 1,779,635 (in millions $USD)

....these figures are based on 2012 stats.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 9:12 AM

SweetiePie:
    It is also interesting to see the powerful effect of the always exaggerated, over-kill, sensationalized news coverage people watch that gives them a false impression of things.

Ain't that the truth. The West sees the East in the winter something akin to The Day After Tomorrow while the East sees the West in San Andreas. Having lived the front 1/2 of life in the west and the last 1/2 in the east, it's easy to get a laugh out of the media.  LOL 

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 12:01 PM

YankeeJim:

SweetiePie:
    It is also interesting to see the powerful effect of the always exaggerated, over-kill, sensationalized news coverage people watch that gives them a false impression of things.

Ain't that the truth. The West sees the East in the winter something akin to The Day After Tomorrow while the East sees the West in San Andreas. Having lived the front 1/2 of life in the west and the last 1/2 in the east, it's easy to get a laugh out of the media.  LOL 

Ha ! Oh my yes and then we talk about it...not about where we are, but about where we ain't, and probably, won't ever be, and do so, armed with those exacting media "facts". It's a scream. Just like we do with the loving, kind, gentle, wonderful peoples of the middle east by getting fooled into believing they are a bunch of smelly, rag-top, 7th century, mental jobs who love to use the blade and still get giddy using stones to correct their women. You know...as it was written " let he who is without stones cast the first sin"....which I likewise learned from the media.  ;-}  

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 12:08 PM

ct690911:

YankeeJim:

1enigma1:
    from the Valley & lived in Northridge in 1994 , that earthquake was the scariest act of nature ive ever seen

Heh, you should have been there in 1971 for the one that decimated Olive View Mem Hospital and threatened to break the Van Norman dam and flood the Valley. A drive down Ventura Blvd looked like Kristallnacht with the floor to ceiling store windows littering the sidewalks. The National Guard was called out for guard duty. Scary times and it's good to be 3000 miles east now.  :-)

yeah...between the earthquakes, the droughts and the water rationing (and the massive fires?)...the colder, snowy east don't sound like a bad trade off.

i was in Thailand & 6 months old in "71" ,  :)  but in "94" the Granada Hills Community Hospital & the Northridge mall also came down & were destroyed along w/ countless homes & buidings, it was crazy, yall can keep your "super cold winters"  for days like today, 80 degrees & sunny , only in Cali you can golf, surf & snowboard all in the same day! :)  ..                                                                                                                                                You mentioned Granada Hills....Knollwood CC - yeah, I fear their greens....absolutely the slowest I have ever known.  ~ SP ~                                                                                         lol , played there many many times, still a decent course though ..                                        
    ct690911:

Two differing impressions from two people who live(d) in California...what's a Canuck to do?

...one thing SP is spot on about is her statement that California is a big place. In fact, California's GDP (gross domestic product) is bigger than the GDP of many developed 1st world Countries; including Canada, Australia, South Korea and India.

California : 1,958,904 (in millions $USD)

Canada : 1,779,635 (in millions $USD)

....these figures are based on 2012 stats.

Do like the rest of the Canadians do eh?  just visit California between November & May ,we love ya "snowbirds"   :)           .. 

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 12:12 PM

Some folks believe "Entertainment Tonight" or TMZ are the only real media...and that, one day, Kanye West will be POTUS and Kim Kardashian will be first lady......if that happens, I may actually move to one of those survivalist bunkers in Idaho or the Dakotas.

...oi vey

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 12:18 PM

"Do like the rest of the Canadians do eh?  just visit California between November & May, we love ya "snowbirds"   :)          

....considering our "Loonie" is .75 of the US Greenback (and falling), I think I'll pass on the visit this year....you did a gr8 Canuck accent though.....:)

ct

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 12:20 PM

1enigma1:
    yall can keep your "super cold winters"  for days like today, 80 degrees & sunny

OY! It's the smog alerts and the traffic that I don't miss. 100 hazy degrees and each breath was a pack of cigarettes.  Last time I was there it took 4 hours to get from Palmdale to LAX. Average speed something like 25-30 MPH. And that was 30 years ago!  ;-)

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 12:49 PM

YankeeJim:
    Palmdale

Any excuse is valid for the following -

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 12:57 PM

"Do like the rest of the Canadians do eh?  just visit California between November & May, we love ya "snowbirds"   :)          

....considering our "Loonie" is .75 of the US Greenback (and falling), I think I'll pass on the visit this year....you did a gr8 Canuck accent though.....:)

ct      - aw cmon , just skip eating at LGs Steakhouse or Ruths Cris, theres plenty of great deals for you & your winter travels,  ok eh?   :)   ..

YankeeJim:

1enigma1:
    yall can keep your "super cold winters"  for days like today, 80 degrees & sunny

OY! It's the smog alerts and the traffic that I don't miss. 100 hazy degrees and each breath was a pack of cigarettes.  Last time I was there it took 4 hours to get from Palmdale to LAX. Average speed something like 25-30 MPH. And that was 30 years ago!  ;-)

hehe touche! i definitely dont miss the smog or traffic, i been outa" LA " for 16 years now,  airs nice, nights are gorgeous in the desert & traffic is not to shabby , btw only 4 hours? you made good time on the 405  :)   LOL  ..
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 1:01 PM

Although it doesn't act up as often, the "New Madrid" fault in So. Missouri is the real bad azz fault line....lol when it goes it really goes...

turned the Mississippi river around twice, had the current going upstream...they say it is wayyyyy past due for another major one and when it goes St. Louis, Memphis, and every town/city in between are in deep trouble.....

Besides, wasn't California supposed to fallen into the ocean already anyway? If your still there you should have listened to the dudes in Idaho...

RSS