Forums

Help › Forums

San Andreas

Tue, Oct 27 2015 3:31 AM (48 replies)
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2015 7:20 PM

Got up about 4:30, wasn't in the mood for WGT. Pressed some nice, robust French Roast, added a little Torani Irish Creme syrup, a splash of Dunkin Donuts cream ( xtra cream, xtra sugar), flipped on Direct TV and rented San Andreas. I loved it. No thinking required, nothing to follow...just watch and hope to be entertained. I Was. I really was. Then reality came back to remind me that my home and property are only about, oh, I guess about 20-30 miles away from it   :-}} 

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2015 8:10 PM

Good to hear that it was a good movie,  I've been really wanting to see it.

Although it's about 2,600 miles away for me lol.

• 1enigma1
    486 Posts
    Mon, Oct 19 2015 8:31 PM

from the Valley & lived in Northridge in 1994 , that earthquake was the scariest act of nature ive ever seen, ( i lived on Oahu from 99 to 2001 & rode some 20 footers, but that another story :)  ), freeways came down! gas stations were on fire, pure pandemonium, living in the SoCal desert now i still get jumpy when a tremor passes through! im good i think ill pass on checking it out, glad ya liked it though ~SP~   ..                                             

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 2:29 AM

SweetiePie:

Got up about 4:30, wasn't in the mood for WGT. Pressed some nice, robust French Roast, added a little Torani Irish Creme syrup, a splash of Dunkin Donuts cream ( xtra cream, xtra sugar), flipped on Direct TV and rented San Andreas. I loved it. No thinking required, nothing to follow...just watch and hope to be entertained. I Was. I really was. Then reality came back to remind me that my home and property are only about, oh, I guess about 20-30 miles away from it   :-}} 

Yup...the vast majority of "experts" are certain its a question of When...not If. 

......on an up note, apparently there are nuclear proof bunkers for sale by survivalists in Idaho...:)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 4:12 AM

ct690911:
    ......on an up note, apparently there are nuclear proof bunkers for sale by survivalists in Idaho...:)
    Oh I can believe it, you know, everybody has to eat, and they validate the survivalist scheme by doing so, but in Idaho I wouldn't call it "living"

. :-}

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 5:20 AM

1enigma1:
    from the Valley & lived in Northridge in 1994 , that earthquake was the scariest act of nature ive ever seen

Heh, you should have been there in 1971 for the one that decimated Olive View Mem Hospital and threatened to break the Van Norman dam and flood the Valley. A drive down Ventura Blvd looked like Kristallnacht with the floor to ceiling store windows littering the sidewalks. The National Guard was called out for guard duty. Scary times and it's good to be 3000 miles east now.  :-)

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 5:40 AM

YankeeJim:

1enigma1:
    from the Valley & lived in Northridge in 1994 , that earthquake was the scariest act of nature ive ever seen

Heh, you should have been there in 1971 for the one that decimated Olive View Mem Hospital and threatened to break the Van Norman dam and flood the Valley. A drive down Ventura Blvd looked like Kristallnacht with the floor to ceiling store windows littering the sidewalks. The National Guard was called out for guard duty. Scary times and it's good to be 3000 miles east now.  :-)

yeah...between the earthquakes, the droughts and the water rationing (and the massive fires?)...the colder, snowy east don't sound like a bad trade off.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 7:05 AM

ct690911:
    yeah...between the earthquakes, the droughts and the water rationing (and the massive fires?)...the colder, snowy east don't sound like a bad trade off.

The vicious cycle of the west. The drought causes tinderbox conditions, a spark ignites the fires that burn the watershed and then the mudslides start when the rain hits because there's no watershed to hold the mud. Saw it every year.

Even had the dubious experience of hosing off the roof of the house in Granada Hills to keep the flying embers from starting the house on fire as the Santa Ana winds fanned the flames in the foothills north of the Valley. 

Earthquakes, fires, mudslides, armed nuts and the cost of living in California......  In deference to Horace Greeley.......go East, young man.  ;-)

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 7:50 AM

YankeeJim:

ct690911:

The vicious cycle of the west. The drought causes tinderbox conditions, a spark ignites the fires that burn the watershed and then the mudslides start when the rain hits because there's no watershed to hold the mud. Saw it every year.

Even had the dubious experience of hosing off the roof of the house in Granada Hills to keep the flying embers from starting the house on fire as the Santa Ana winds fanned the flames in the foothills north of the Valley. 

Earthquakes, fires, mudslides, armed nuts and the cost of living in California......  In deference to Horace Greeley.......go East, young man.  ;-)

Hmm...I was gonna mention Canada's issues with rogue Moose, pesky Beavers, a lack of Hooters restaurants and upset wives (armed with frying pans)...but after your post on what California routinely deals with...I'll just skip over it...lol

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Oct 20 2015 8:25 AM

YankeeJim:

ct690911:

I know, I know. I'm lucky that I have no fear of such things. Zero. I'm going to die anyway. Until then, I'll stick with Randy Newman...you know, " looks like another perfect day....I love LA !". It is also interesting to see the powerful effect of the always exaggerated, over-kill, sensationalized news coverage people watch that gives them a false impression of things. I have to watch it too because I never actually see it...California is a mighty big place. In truth I am as safe as you are 3,000 miles away. Fact of life. But always much more comfortable. Oh, I fibbed. You mentioned Granada Hills....Knollwood CC - yeah, I fear their greens....absolutely the slowest I have ever known.  ~ SP ~

RSS