Help › Forums

Leaked

Thu, Apr 6 2017 11:28 AM (61 replies)
  • petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2015 1:08 PM

andyson:

Chettster:

And what do you know about Pine Valley, Cypress Point or The Los Angeles Country Club?  I would guess nothing.

I think you'll be surprised.

No offense intended sir, but are you a muppet?

^5 Andyson!

This is an awesome thread and I get so ticked off when dorks try to derail it with their idiotic comments.

Next drink is on you :-)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2015 1:11 PM

Chettster:

And what do you know about Pine Valley, Cypress Point or The Los Angeles Country Club?  I would guess nothing.

You talkin' to moi ? I haven't had the opportunity to taste Pine Valley, I almost never step foot into NJ. On the other hand, I've played Cypress 6 or 7 times and LACC even more, both north & south...so does 2 out of 3 get me anything ?  

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Tue, Oct 13 2015 5:25 PM

gets a star in my eyes SP ;-)

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Wed, Oct 14 2015 5:24 AM

andyson:

LOLserver:
    Thanks Andy, I remember seeing one render of this hole in one of your post, was it you who made it?

Yep, I've done a couple of them.  The latest was here.

I used a photo as the background and overlayed the WGT stuff.  (I got the elevations and yd markers using Google Earth for accuracy.)

LOLserver:

The "forest" is there in the mesh and you can move the camera wherever you go and see the the same forest (just like in reality), if that was your question.

You need to adjust the textures dimensions when looking at close range to things (for example camera close to the green, flag, etc), like forest, plants, grass, etc, but you save it as a new file and can rotate or move the camera within that range to a millimetre.

Yes, that was my question.  I take it then there could be additional work to fix the close range objects if needed in a different camera view.  That makes sense.

Forgot to clarify, with this new 3D technology you do not need to fix FOREST or PLANTS textures at all, no matter how close you get to the objects, but what you need to adjust is the texturing for "plane" surfaces, like fairway, fringe or green. This make the set up of the HD pictures awesomely fast when moving the cameras around the pin....you just decide how many millimetres, centimetres, meters, etc you need to move the camera in any direction for a new shot &...render. That is why making those thousands of HD pictures WGT needs per hole could be done much faster then a few years ago.

It is a little difficult to explain how to adjust the amount of trees, bushes, plants, etc because there are thousands of parameters to play with. I used to make tutorials for this 3D "nature" plugins and as said I have been trying to learn and master it now for several years.

Eric

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Wed, Oct 14 2015 6:24 AM

Flashback to 1998....EA Sports Tiger Woods game with a course designer that you could create your own course and there was 1000's that you could play on that was every bit as good as what Wgt presents and this was 17 years ago.

• petervcpt
    1,013 Posts
    Wed, Oct 14 2015 11:35 AM

LOLserver:

Forgot to clarify, with this new 3D technology you do not need to fix FOREST or PLANTS textures at all, no matter how close you get to the objects, but what you need to adjust is the texturing for "plane" surfaces, like fairway, fringe or green. This make the set up of the HD pictures awesomely fast when moving the cameras around the pin....you just decide how many millimetres, centimetres, meters, etc you need to move the camera in any direction for a new shot &...render. That is why making those thousands of HD pictures WGT needs per hole could be done much faster then a few years ago.

It is a little difficult to explain how to adjust the amount of trees, bushes, plants, etc because there are thousands of parameters to play with. I used to make tutorials for this 3D "nature" plugins and as said I have been trying to learn and master it now for several years.

Eric

I think WGT should hire you :)

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Thu, Oct 15 2015 1:50 PM

Tigerpaw509:

Flashback to 1998....EA Sports Tiger Woods game with a course designer that you could create your own course and there was 1000's that you could play on that was every bit as good as what Wgt presents and this was 17 years ago.

The idea was great indeed : ))). I saw several videos of how to make a course, it was a piece of cake to make them although a chance to make elevated courses was not available. 

The other golf game (I say no names) has the same intention but everything seem to go so slow over there that they might end up missing even more of the existing costumers. 50 - 80 players to play multi-player games is jut too little in my opinion. I still it is great to offer to make your own courses using their game technology.

Eric

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Thu, Oct 15 2015 2:05 PM

petervcpt:

LOLserver:

Eric

I think WGT should hire you :)

LOL....... thanks for your comment but........

I just receive a categoric "No we aren't.  We are still sticking with the Photographs." after asking WGT the chance to use 3D courses made by me (my office) or any 3D design company.

Must say, I would have liked to receive a more substantial answer with a short explanation on why WGT does not want to use 3D to make their courses. Not quiet sure WGT sees a real possibility with this 3D technology or simply is a company policy to keep on working with the same stuff they already have full control of.

Well, bit sad to see we will get the usual one full course a year in WGT and that there will not be 3D courses like Cabo or Whistlers.

As for myself, I'll keep working in my free time to try to improve my skills with this 3D technology and perhaps once day seeing one of my holes/courses being used in a golf game : )))

Eric

• LOLserver
    3,522 Posts
    Sat, Jan 9 2016 11:27 AM

VIVA LA FRANCE!!!!!

Paris Golf Club : )))

Free project in the last chirstmas holidays. Found the terrain file in the net and decided to add a golf course in the middle of Paris!!!. Hope parisians do not get mad at me because of changing a bit the lovely City of Paris : )))

It could have easily been par 4 or 5 in that terrain but I am only visualizing a par 3 and a green close to the tower for any other longer hole. Errr...fairways are very narrow, but well, all is just fantasy.

When visualizing in 3D you could spend thousands of hours trying to make it either more realistic looking, graphic looking, etc. As the surface was there, I did not have to model it, but took many hours to create the forest, plants, lake etc, to finally add the player, divot, ball, paris skyline and others with Photoshop.

As WGT does not seem interested on 3D "renders" for their courses I did simply not used time making the WGT client window using this course....bla bla bla.

Yup, 3D visualizing cannot compete with drones making those thousands of pics per hole and territory data WGT uses, but drones CANNOT make fantasy courses ; )).

All is fantasy. I could have used any city iconic thing (monument, building, etc) to put it in the middle of the ground and make the surroundings and vegetation fit the physical location.....LOL

Well, time for a new 3D golf course when free time allows, hopefully soon....just love it : )))))

Eric

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sun, Jan 10 2016 11:15 AM

Most interesting Eric!  The realism you attained is most impressive!

But to be honest I thought The Eiffel Tower was bigger!  Is there a way you can say how far it is in feet or yards from the tee box to the Tower?  

I'd estimate since it's a par 3 to the green it must be 200+yards, then another 300 yards or so to the tower.  All in all roughly 1500 feet from tee to Tower.

I went to Google Earth Street View and found a spot 1528 ft from the tower and took this screenshot:

compare to your first rendering

I gotta say your scale is spot on!   Amazing!  Well done!

If you're interested, here's the location of my street view in Paris via Google Earth:

RSS