Forums

Help › Forums

BOOBIES !!!

Mon, Oct 28 2019 9:31 AM (20 replies)
  • IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2015 8:50 PM

Now that I have your attention!

Sadly, I feel the need to make a caveat statement. As we have all seen numerous times on these boards, discussion degrades itself quickly. This post is about BOOBS. Please refrain from responding and just think about it. If the need to respond is too overwhelming, please keep it MATURE and ON POINT.

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Please take a moment to think about this. I have provided some links below. Men, this also applies to you. Breast cancer is not strictly a female matter, although your risks are considerably lower. Plus, you all have mothers, wives, girlfriends, sisters, daughters.

Some facts/stats:

• About 1 in 8 women in the United States (12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
    • About 39,840 women in the U.S. were expected to die in 2010 from breast cancer
    • Compared to African American women, white women are slightly more likely to develop breast cancer, but less likely to die of it. Women of other ethnic backgrounds — Asian, Hispanic, and Native American — have a lower risk of developing and dying from breast cancer than white women and African American women.
    • A woman’s risk of breast cancer approximately doubles if she has a first-degree relative (mother, sister, daughter) who has been diagnosed with breast cancer. However, about 70-80% of breast cancers occur in women who have no family history of breast cancer.
    • The most significant risk factors for breast cancer are gender (being a woman) and age (growing older).
    • Breast cancer occurs primarily in women, but men can also develop breast cancer. Although men have less breast tissue than women, they do have breast cells that can undergo cancerous changes. Male breast cancer makes up less than 1 percent of all cases of breast cancer, and is usually detected in men between 60 and 70 years of age.
    • And some good news, in 2010, there were more than 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the U.S. 

National Breast Cancer Awareness Month Website

Breast Self Exam Video

More information

Finally, as a reminder, I suggest you all look here, print it off, laminate it, and keep it in your bathroom or give them to friends and family. You might just save someone's life!

Health & Happiness

- Iva

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2015 9:09 PM

www.breastcancercare.org.uk

• johnabel1234
    146 Posts
    Fri, Oct 2 2015 10:42 PM

Very good post.we have lost friends and family to this nasty thing. 1 of the few places i donate to. God bless

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2015 7:40 AM

Excellent post, Annie...:)

ct

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2015 8:01 AM

ct690911:
    Excellent post
    X2        :  )

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2015 9:00 AM

Lost my mom to breast cancer ,when I was 13, she was only 36. That is the reason for the pink bag for me.

• cappy11
    1,173 Posts
    Sat, Oct 3 2015 9:43 AM

+ BUMP +

• BombShelly
    1,010 Posts
    Fri, Oct 9 2015 6:44 AM

Great Post.  Very good information, and Thank you for sharing.

This month, I have been reminding the women I know to do regular self examinations, and depending on risk and age, to have a mammogram.

And men, I urge you to encourage your wives, girlfriends, daughters, sisters, mothers, neighbors, co-workers, country club members, friends, enemies, and women who belong in none of those categories to  do the same.

I've posted the following gif images on  all of my female friends' walls. they are resized already, to properly fit as a WGT wall post, Please,  feel free to copy both images at once,  and paste them directly into the message body of  your friends' wall posts.

Its a simple reminder of what your friends mean to you paired with a pink ribbon to remind them to be examined for Breast Cancer, because...

Early Detection Saves Lives                                       XOXOX, Shelly

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Sun, Oct 11 2015 7:50 PM

What color ribbon do men get for prostate cancer?

• IvaThongon
    933 Posts
    Mon, Oct 12 2015 8:39 AM

Forget the ribbons and other nonsense, just get checked regularly!

AND, although more rare, breast cancer is NOT exclusive to women. Please, men, check yourselves, too!

RSS