Forums

Help › Forums

Spider Putter

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 17 2009 4:40 PM (24 replies)
  • cobra4
    359 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2009 5:39 AM

Having been playing this game for 3 months now i thought i would invest in a better putter,or so i thought. The wgt putter i was using was ok but i wanted to improve my score by a few shots so i bought the Taylor made Spider putter. The putters description was, compared to the free putter as having twice more balance, twice as much precision and 3 times more forgiving. All i can say is in the 3 days i have had it, my putting has detieriated.The scale is 0-25  which is about 10,10,5 on each take back of the head,which makes it difficult to judge lets say a 14ft - 16ft putt. I have gone back to my old free putter and holed more putts straight away.Can any one explain who has bought one of these,how this putter is supposidly 2-3 times better then the free one

Cobra4

• ncviz
    527 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2009 5:48 AM

The big diff between the Spider and the ts/starter putters is the long putts. With either one of the starter putters you really dont have a chance outside of 30'. If it goes in it's more luck than skill. 30' and in there's very little diff IMO.

Now if you use Niv's method of putting, why yeah you're going to not like the Spider. You were probably better off buying the Ping and adapting to the meter speed.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2009 6:45 AM

Although $4 isn't a great deal,yad expect the product to do what it says on the tin.Waste of money if you ask me....Anybody want it for $2 lol

• gitthe
    66 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2009 10:25 AM

Stick with the spider cobra.  I posted on the first day that I hated the spider as well.  It takes 10-15 rounds to get used to it.  I shot a 61 on bp with it and with the new balls and sloooowwww meter it is money.  Hang in there.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2009 12:18 PM

ok good advice i'll stick with it for a few days and see how i go

Thanx

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2009 12:43 PM

Ok, they changed the putter stats.  I thought so.  My putter has been acting differently than it did that very first day.

When the putters were first released, the stats shown were exactly the same.  I know this because my Pro Shop Chart had the same information for both putters.  I wouldn't have made the same mistake in all 3 columns.

Now I see there are major differences in the putters' stats.  Even the Tour Starter putter, which used to have a forgiveness of 8, is now 3.  Damn.  That's a huge difference.

Be wary of that if you bought your putter on Day 1.  You might want to go back and have a second look at your stats, because they've changed it since you bought it.

WGT:  You should tell us when you do stuff like that.  It's your right to change it, sure, but we deserve to know when our clubs will act differently than they did the day before.

1,644 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2009 1:01 PM

And on that note.... what else did they change?!?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2009 1:06 PM

Looks like just the putters were changed.

*edit*  New putter stats are up on the Pro Shop Charts.

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2009 1:26 PM

I like the spider a bunch, way more predictable and forgiving. Maybe it's just me though, usually is =P Also very neat lookin. I immediately went out and shot 4 straight birdies on BP. Very 1st time using it. Of course once my typical bad play took over I ended up losing them all.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Fri, Jul 17 2009 1:26 PM

So much for this request for transparency in the Pro Shop.

Yeah, WGT listens alright.  Careful, that's perilously close to a form of bait-and-switch.

RSS