Forums

Help › Forums

Matchplay tips

Sat, Oct 10 2015 5:50 AM (25 replies)
  • Kepone18
    196 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2015 2:35 AM

Hi guys. I'm only at master level and play mostly hth games. My winning percentage is above 75% so I consider myself a pretty good competitor. Here are some of my tips and please be free to criticize or ad more tips!!!!

1. Always try to win the opening hole. Because im mostly playing 3 hole games. I always play the first aggressively to set the tone and get your opponent chasing.

2.On par threes notice the club your opponent is taking and also note if he is taking a full backswing or taking a bit of power off when hitting first ( applies to most holes really)

3. Expect that your opponent will hit his next shot perfect. Keeps you sharp and focused.

4.No your yardages. When your opponent tees of on a par 4 and is 50yards from the hole. take 3w or hybrid to leave you in the lw to sw range. You will be able to hit a full wedge and stick it close while he has to guestimate the shot whilst knowing you are close!!!. Added pressure

5. Remember when leading to still play like u are even in the match. Way too many guys play to the middle of the green when his opponent has an easy wedge in.

6. Don't ever quit in a match. Remember that this is medal matchplay so even when he is leading by 2 going to the final hole you still have a chance. Birdie/Bogey and the match is all Square. Bonus: next time you play him/her they will remember it!!!

7.When you do have that awfull 40-60 yard shot ( and you don't have a 64 degree wedge). Please hit the shot a full 10% harder than you think. Believe me most guys leave it 5 yards short.

8. Never leave a ball short whilst putting. Firstly it cant go in ( well....duh!!) and secondly your opponent thinks man what a wuss.

9.Some flags You cant attack. Let your opponents make the mistake. Example merion 17th hole front right flag. My hybrid takes me safely to the middle of the green. But most guys take a 3 iron and it catches that slope and rolls all the way to the front of the green where even double bogey comes into play.

10. I always say Hi Gl man. at the start of a game. I know this is a random tip but my number of people disconnecting from a game has gone to almost zero!!!

Hope my tips will help you guys. Find the fairway and enjoy Merion with tourney greens!!!

• kersh1976
    2,790 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2015 10:26 AM

I'm sorry to say that I've never read so much cobblers in all my life.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2015 10:53 AM

kersh1976:

Ain't that the truth!   And no matchplay records in his stats or match play activities ever.

At least on this account.

• Kepone18
    196 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2015 11:23 AM

Hi man I only play on my iPad ( the mobile version) so I don't know why it doesn't show anything!!!. I went on the wgt website and looked at my profile and said 0 match play games. So it is kinda embarrassing to say the least!!! I don't know if their is a mobile wgt website but when I go to my friends list it shows me this month my hth stats as 276w. 76l. 76T. Please look it up I have nothing to hide just trying to help. But I don't mind the bashing. We are all grown ups ( well I'm getting there!!!) but I would also like to see some match play tips from better tiered golfers. Ps anytime any of you want to play me in a 3 hole hth please invite me and I will gladly play you on the mobile. Never played on the pc before though

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2015 11:54 AM

He's been a wgt member for 4 months...at least on this account.....zero match play games played.  

ct

• kersh1976
    2,790 Posts
    Sat, Sep 19 2015 12:34 PM

andyson:

kersh1976:

Ain't that the truth!   And no matchplay records in his stats or match play activities ever.

At least on this account.

I was thinking the very same, I thought it may have something to do with him playing the mobile version.

• kilbraur
    219 Posts
    Sun, Sep 20 2015 4:38 AM

Hi Kepone, you is say good advice in you post. I is say 6 of you tips ar good help to people who begin WGT for first time.

I has wrote some notes I has call "Match Play Strategy And Tactics" al translated to the English, if you like you go mine profile page for them.

I is say you not pay the attentions to peoples who make the criticise to you and I wishes to you the good lucks.

• Safdar1
    454 Posts
    Sun, Sep 20 2015 5:20 PM

I have hit some rounds on my ipad and I would doubt any matchplay records on that platform would show on my profile here (I do not play enough to be able to check and make a conclusion), but come on guys, give him a break.

Appears a genuine post to help others...

• kersh1976
    2,790 Posts
    Sun, Sep 20 2015 5:47 PM

Safdar1:

I have hit some rounds on my ipad and I would doubt any matchplay records on that platform would show on my profile here (I do not play enough to be able to check and make a conclusion), but come on guys, give him a break.

Appears a genuine post to help others...

There's nothing wrong with trying to give advice out, If it wasn't for the forums, I would still be a hack. But nothing in the original post is advice, it's just stating the obvious. Try and win the first hole?. Who doesn't try to win the first hole.In matchplay you try and win every hole. Don't forfeit the game, Who forfeits a game that they think they can win. The only advice for playing matchplay is play better than your opponent.

• Kepone18
    196 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 1:53 AM

Stating the obvious? Play better than your opponent? Isn't that stating the obvious!!! And can you please tell me in which sport you don't have to play better than your opponent. The only advice..... man that's lame.

RSS